Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 365 - Saving large video file as separate clips automatically or productively
phil20z20 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2015 15:05 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have a big video file which I loaded into powerdirector and split the video into a many clips using the split function. Now I need to SAVE these clips/files automatically. Is there a way to do it where it would save/produced into a folder and i can manually open/play any of these smaller clips. This is the opposite of producing a video with many media files. I have a video that a want to create many media files from it.

I know I can manually do this by opening the whole video in the timeline and cutting everything but the 1 file i want to produce, then keep doing this until i have them all but this would be a very tedious process and not productive.

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2020 14:34

Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not aware of a way to do this automatically, maybe others have a suggestion.

However, you don't need to do any cutting, you can use produce range. Highlight a portion of the timeline by dragging the orange boxes either side of the playhead to cover what you want to produce.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
A variation on Philwild's suggestion would be to start with all the separate clips on the timeline then click on any one and use Ctrl+A to select all clips. Next, Ctrl+click on the video and audio sections of the single clip you want to produce and hit the Alt+Del key to remove all other content. That will also place the desired clip at the start of the timeline.

Produce the current clip and then return to the Edit page. Click on the only timeline clip and type Ctrl+Z to undo the previous deletion (which will also leave all content selected). Use Ctrl+click on the next clip's A/V tracks and use Alt+Del again to remove the other content. Repeat as necessary.

If you'd like to just set up the clips now but have PD produce them later, instead of producing use Save Project As and give the new project the same name as you'd like to have for produced clip. Use Ctrl+Z to restore the deleted content and continue with the next clip.

Once you've saved each clip in their own project, use Batch Produce under the File menu. This post has the steps.

It sounds like you've already made all the splits on the timeline, but if you have to do this again it may be easier to use the Pre-cut feature on the main clip in the media library. That will give you the separate clips you're looking for (but only within PD - they're not really separated) which makes it very easy to drag just the clip you want onto the timeline and produce it (or save it as a unique project).

Just use Undo to clear the timeline and drag the next clip there.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
phil20z20 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yikes, this is a lot of work. I wish this feature was in the software. There is over 8 hours of 12 minute clips (Percussion shows). but there is 30 of these 8 hour videos. I already split up the 8 hours and i just need a quick way to get each one saved back. I would then open each one and give it the proper file name, etc. I will try this method and see how it works out, but there has got to be a better way. The reason it's like this is because instead of stopping and starting each 12 minutes, i just record the entire stream and then break it out to the clips at the end.

Quote A variation on Philwild's suggestion would be to start with all the separate clips on the timeline then click on
any one and use Ctrl+A to select all clips. Next, Ctrl+click on the video and audio sections of the single clip you want to produce and hit the Alt+Del key to remove all other content. That will also place the desired clip at the start of the timeline.

Produce the current clip and then return to the Edit page. Click on the only timeline clip and type Ctrl+Z to undo the previous deletion (which will also leave all content selected). Use Ctrl+click on the next clip's A/V tracks and use Alt+Del again to remove the other content. Repeat as necessary.

If you'd like to just set up the clips now but have PD produce them later, instead of producing use Save Project As and give the new project the same name as you'd like to have for produced clip. Use Ctrl+Z to restore the deleted content and continue with the next clip.

Once you've saved each clip in their own project, use Batch Produce under the File menu. This post has the steps.

It sounds like you've already made all the splits on the timeline, but if you have to do this again it may be easier to use the Pre-cut feature on the main clip in the media library. That will give you the separate clips you're looking for (but only within PD - they're not really separated) which makes it very easy to drag just the clip you want onto the timeline and produce it (or save it as a unique project).

Just use Undo to clear the timeline and drag the next clip there.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Now that I have a better idea of your project, I agree that PD isn't really the right tool for what you're trying to do.

If you're always going to have consecutive 12 minute segments in 8 hour clips, you'd be much better off using free apps like VirtualDub2 or FFMPEG to automate that cutting process. Save PD for the actual video production steps.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

phil20z20 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just wanted to give a update on my progress. I ended up using PD and did the following. But please tell me if there are any shortcuts i'm missing that will make this even easier.

Load the big media file. Go thru and select what i want and do the Produce Range. (Is there shortcut key to creating a range from a timeline clip selection?) I just use the mouse and select the range. Create the file name and start. When it's done, i click EDIT on top and click on the timeline and control-Del to delete that (since it's done). I repeat those steps OVER AND OVER.

I looked virtualdub2 but it seems too complicated for me.

Quote Now that I have a better idea of your project, I agree that PD isn't really the right tool for what you're trying to do.

If you're always going to have consecutive 12 minute segments in 8 hour clips, you'd be much better off using free apps like VirtualDub2 or FFMPEG to automate that cutting process. Save PD for the actual video production steps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2020 19:04

optodata
[Post New]
Unfortunately, there aren't any keyboard shortcuts for selecting a range, since by design it's meant to allow you to include any amount of any number of clips.

However, it's probably easier to work backwards from the end of the timeline towards the front. That way, you can easily drag the right edge of the range select tool to the end of the last clip where PD will automatically stop it, then produce the range and simply click Delete.

PD will delete the last clip and when you click on the new last clip, the cursor will jump to the beginning which makes selecting the whole clip easier. That completely does away with the tedious mouse selcting and also saves you a couple of keystrokes each time.

YouTube/optodata

phil20z20 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You have been helpful in the past so i have a new question for you. I have been trying to automate alot of processes with stream deck macros. But there is hopefully a trick to doing the following:

you said there is not any shortcut for selecting range, so i need to manually choose the end of the range and click and drag the icon to the begining of the range (is there any shortkey to just get to the begining?) Then i click product range... Once it's done, i am trying to automate the next process. I need to click EDIT on the top menu to get back to the workspace with the mouse. Then i need to select with the mouse the frame i produced because i want to control-x it. Is there a way to get back using just the keyboard without the mouse to select section in the frame and delete it?? It would speed this process up alot more because i can use a macro button to do it. But i can't seem to figure out how to do it without the mouse.

Quote Unfortunately, there aren't any keyboard shortcuts for selecting a range, since by design it's meant to allow you to include any amount of any number of clips.

However, it's probably easier to work backwards from the end of the timeline towards the front. That way, you can easily drag the right edge of the range select tool to the end of the last clip where PD will automatically stop it, then produce the range and simply click Delete.

PD will delete the last clip and when you click on the new last clip, the cursor will jump to the beginning which makes selecting the whole clip easier. That completely does away with the tedious mouse selcting and also saves you a couple of keystrokes each time.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You have been helpful in the past so i have a new question for you. I have been trying to automate alot of processes with stream deck macros. But there is hopefully a trick to doing the following:

you said there is not any shortcut for selecting range, so i need to manually choose the end of the range and click and drag the icon to the begining of the range (is there any shortkey to just get to the begining?) Then i click product range... Once it's done, i am trying to automate the next process. I need to click EDIT on the top menu to get back to the workspace with the mouse. Then i need to select with the mouse the frame i produced because i want to control-x it. Is there a way to get back using just the keyboard without the mouse to select section in the frame and delete it?? It would speed this process up alot more because i can use a macro button to do it. But i can't seem to figure out how to do it without the mouse.

Maybe "Home" and/or "End" will work.
Home in video mode will go to start of timeline
Home in clip mode will go to start of clip
Home in "Produce Range" defined will go to start of range

End key just the opposite.

Jeff
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a big video file which I loaded into powerdirector and split the video into a many clips using the split function. Now I need to SAVE these clips/files automatically. Is there a way to do it where it would save/produced into a folder and i can manually open/play any of these smaller clips. This is the opposite of producing a video with many media files. I have a video that a want to create many media files from it.

I know I can manually do this by opening the whole video in the timeline and cutting everything but the 1 file i want to produce, then keep doing this until i have them all but this would be a very tedious process and not productive.

Thanks.

You can use the Produce Range function in PowerDirector to Produce segments of the timeline (one clip. Multiple clips, etc.) without cutting, moving, or deleting any of the clips.

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
ecs1749 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2012 15:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I don't understand why slicing-and-dicing a large video file into mutiple video files is such a hazzle in Power Director. A causal search on the internet pops at a great many freeware that can do that.

https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/free-video-cutter.html