Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio Director 7 Can't change default track name from 'Untitled'
Mr3dfx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2019 15:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have tried searching all over heaven and earth, including the Audio Director manual, but why-o-why does Audio Director not let me click the name of the track and change it!?
I can't seem to change the track name from 'Untitled', even after I save the project, or produce it?

It's maddening to have a giant list of 'untitled' tracks.

Is there anyone out there that has encountered this behavior, if so, can you help me inform me on 'how' to rename my audio tracks!?
[Thumb - AdioDirector.png]
 Filename
AdioDirector.png
[Disk]
 Description
Untitled
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2020 12:22

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree that there doesn't seem to be any way of renaming the imported clips, but I'm puzzled as to why yours all say untitled. All clips I import show their file names:

What are the actual file names of your clips?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2020 13:28

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Mr3dfx [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't use any imported clips, it's all new recordings.
They all start as one long audio file from the creation of the project, which as it happens is always 'Untitled1'.
I then add another audio file (from the menu) and cut from the original to the new file, which is created automatically as 'Untitled2'....'Untitled3'...etc...

I was thinking of just manually editing the ads files but that's rather tedious and the format is rather lacking...I wish it was an XML or JSON, this flat-file format is obnoxious to deal with as well...unless someone has an idea on that too....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2020 13:34

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm afraid I'm still in the dark about your workflow. Where are you recording the audio? If I record from a mic in the Mix room, the new track is called "Track_1_0000.wav" and it's stored in the \Documents\CyberLink\AudioDirector\6.0\Recorded files folder (I don't have AD7 and 6 is the closest version).

Can you make a screen recording showing the generation of the untitled clips?

Also, the .ADS file content looks correct if I set the editing language to XML in Notepad++:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Mr3dfx [Avatar]
[Post New]
My workflow:
1. Open Audio Director
2. Create new adutio file
3. Select Profile settings and click 'OK': <---Here in the project, the audio file is now named 'Untitled1'
4. Begin recording input source.
5. Stop recording.
6. Create new aduio file inside project : <--name created is 'Untitled2'

ads file contents have all titles listed as 'Untitled<n>' where 'n' is the number of the audio file.

ads files are not 'true' XML files which makes them rather difficult to edit effeciently, sure I could use some coding and parse it, but I really should not have to dev my own app to do so.

In the included video you can see the title of the project is 'Untitled', then when I add an audio file it is also 'Untitled'. This is where the issue starts.
 Filename
AudioDirector 2020-05-21 11-53-10.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2565 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
181 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the details and screen recording. I assume you're using the record function on the main Edit screen to add content.

There aren't any relevant changes in the latest version (AD10/365) and I personally don't think it's worth the time to write an app or script to revise the ADS code.

That leaves 2 immediate options that I can see:

1. Record the audio using a different app and import the saved clips into AD

2. Produce the AD-recorded audio as soon as you're finished. Specify the clip name and AD will automatically import it, like this:

:

I assume that's the workflow the app is designed to accomodate.

A longer term option would be to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under AD's FIle menu and let CL know you'd like to be able to give new clips a name and/or be able to rename them at will.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 21. 2020 16:18

YouTube/optodata

Mr3dfx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, that's a bummer. I don't have any other option to record in 24/192 which is what I need.

Thanks for helping out. It helps me determine my next steps.
[Post New]
Hello Mr3dfx,

Welcome to the AudioDirector forum laughing

Yes, that's true. When a new audio clip is recorded in the Edit module, the default name is "*Untitled1" (sequentially numbered). When a track is recorded in the Mix module, the default name is "Track1_00000" (numbered sequentially)

In neither situation can the track be renamed, which is why (in your extensive search of heaven & earth) you weren't able to find a way to do it. I agree, this is not ideal! It would seem to be a simple option to incorporate.

As far as I can tell, editing the project file or renaming in Windows might be the only options.

Here's an odd thing:

1. Record in Mix & the recorded track is stored at C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\AudioDirector

2. Record in Edit & the recorded track (*Untitled) can only be found as a temp .txt file at C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\CyberLink\AudioDirector\10.0\Temp i.e. I'm unable to find an actual audio file to rename in Windows.

(the above could be put down to an error/lack of insight on my part)

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Mr3dfx [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Untitled behavior is also what would explain why if things go wrong I loose data, if it's stored in a temp directory and Audio Director crashes (which it has done on large files) I've lost 5-6hrs of work.

It's sounding more like a potential opportunity was maybe missed for folks that use the same workflow that I do.

Moving projects is a whole other story...I'm currently trying to rebuild sever ads files because Audio Director keeps saying 'there is data missing' in the ads files when I try and load them...Do you know if there is somewhere, where I can turn on verbose logging so I can see 'what' data it's looking for so maybe I can spoof the data and at least try and recover something these lost projects? I've got all the data files, and project files...but without being able to have better logging I can't work it backwards....well I can, maybe..by ripping open a few other ads files and see what type might be missing from these others...but dang...it's gonna take a long time to manually rebuild these ads files.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Moving projects is a whole other story...I'm currently trying to rebuild sever ads files because Audio Director keeps saying 'there is data missing' in the ads files when I try and load them...Do you know if there is somewhere, where I can turn on verbose logging so I can see 'what' data it's looking for so maybe I can spoof the data and at least try and recover something these lost projects?

Unfortunately I don't think you can see the missing clips in the GUI (unlike PD and PhD), so you'll probably have to open up each ADS file in a text editor and see what you can find.

Another good idea for the Suggestions form.

YouTube/optodata

Mr3dfx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okie, dokie, thanks again!
optodata
[Post New]
Maybe a quicker way would be to do a project Save As after you've ignored the missing clips, then do a file comparison with the original project file to see the differences.

It sounds like you're familiar with tools like that, and there's a free website that will also work nicely: https://www.diffchecker.com/

YouTube/optodata

Mr3dfx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not a bad idea, that would at least give me the EOF data that might be missing...if there is track data missing...that will be harder to figure out.

Also, added those two suggestions through AD.