Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need new PC
JOF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2019 01:38 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Looking to buy new desktop: What would you PowerDirector users suggest to edit 4K video?

Windows machines only.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It may help to describe the type of 4k file and format that you wish to work with like hdr, 10 bit, etc. Desktop or laptop?? Your budget, expertise, etc. Some users can then recommend something within your expectation.
JOF [Avatar]
[Post New]
DESKTOP: TOWER
4K files MP4, 8-bit H.264 & H.265

Usually clips are short and most of my videos are between 1 and 14 minutes. I shoot with an EM5 MK 3, Gopro8 usually at 4k 60p and a DJI drone at 2.7K.

Budget: I guess I'll like to keep it under $2000 USD
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Should be easy to come up with a desktop well within your means.

Though it's impossible for us to recommend an exact model (there are way too many!) if you shop around and use these benchmarks to choose your processor, you should be all set. Look for a processor that rates at least a 10,000.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Get at least 12 gigs of RAM and Windows 10 Pro. At least a terrabyte of storage. Two if it's available. If you're buying a traditional hard drive, that should also be easy.

Graphics cards are a bit trickier. Fortunately PowerDirector doesn't require a lot of graphics power, but it does benefit from a good card. Just see what's within your budget. And DON'T buy a gaming machine! You'll spend a fortune on hardware that won't benefit you much as a video editor.

After that, it's a matter of your budget. My rule of thumb is that, once you spend over $1000 (not counting your monitor), you get less benefit the more you spend. At least as far as PowerDirector is concerned.

Besides, technology has a habit of depreciating very quickly. This year's $2000 computer is next year's $1000 computer. You can't "future proof" yourself by spending a fortune for state of the art hardware.

I'm sure others will disagree with me. (I also buy almost exclusively refurbished computers rather than brand new.) But if you want enough power to do the job and you want the best bang for the buck, those are my recommendations. Keep it simple, stay within your budget and use the benchmark reports.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 21. 2020 08:24

JOF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Should be easy to come up with a desktop well within your means.

Though it's impossible for us to recommend an exact model (there are way too many!) if you shop around and use these benchmarks to choose your processor, you should be all set. Look for a processor that rates at least a 10,000.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Get at least 12 gigs of RAM and Windows 10 Pro. At least a terrabyte of RAM. Two if it's available. If you're buying a traditional hard drive, that should also be easy.

Graphics cards are a bit trickier. Fortunately PowerDirector doesn't require a lot of graphics power, but it does benefit from a good card. Just see what's your budget. And DON'T by a gaming machine! You'll spend a fortune on hardware that won't benefit you much as a video editor.

After that, it's a matter of your budget. My rule of thumb is that, once you spend over $1000 (not counting your monitor), you get less benefit the more you spend. At least as far as PowerDirector is concerned.

Besides, technology has a habit of depreciating very quickly. This year's $2000 computer is next year's $1000 computer. You can't "future proof" yourself by spending a fortune for state of the art hardware.

I'm sure others will disagree with me. (I also buy almost exclusively refurbished computers rather than brand new.) But if you want enough power to do the job and you want the best bang for the buck, those are my recommendations. Keep it simple, stay within your budget and use the benchmark reports.

THANK YOU! Appreciate your help.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... THANK YOU! Appreciate your help.

JOF. before you purchase, come back to the forum and post which machines you're considering... we can help you to choose better one for the money.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2020 11:14

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1