Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 how to save files on memory stick as MP4 and not pds files
givmeacccccc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2020 13:24 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, apologies I am not a very tech person.
I am trying to 'produce' a short video and then save as MPEG-2, MP4 , AVC or anything other than a file with a pds extension. I can save OK but when I save to my memory stick and then try and play the video on another brand new PC the computer cannot see the file or play. I have installed new CODEC s/w but still no luck.
I imagined I could produce vidoes and simply put my memory stick into a TV or PC or any other device and watch.
Can anyone help please?

Regards

Mike
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am trying to 'produce' a short video and then save as MPEG-2, MP4 , AVC or anything other than a file with a pds extension. I can save OK but when I save to my memory stick and then try and play the video on another brand new PC the computer cannot see the file or play. I have installed new CODEC s/w but still no luck.
I imagined I could produce vidoes and simply put my memory stick into a TV or PC or any other device and watch.
Can anyone help please?

Please let us know what is the file size and extension of the file on the usb stick. Files larger than 4 GB need to have the memory stick first formatted as ntfs to work on a smart tv. It can be formatted as ntfs or exfat to work on a pc.

You may want to use MediaInfo or windows properties to get the file information and post it here on your next reply.

Edit: You need to go to the Produce tab to produce or create your output files in the format, resolution, frame rate, and bit rate to either the hard drive first or directly to the memory stick if it is formatted correcty for the intended use and of sufficient size.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2020 15:30

Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
The pds file is purely the file that tells PowerDirector what and where your clips are and what changes you have made. The produce is where you turn the clips and edits from the timeline into a video in your chosen format. You can specify in the produce tab, where you want this video to be saved, taking into account Tomasc's comments above.
givmeacccccc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The pds file is purely the file that tells PowerDirector what and where your clips are and what changes you have made. The produce is where you turn the clips and edits from the timeline into a video in your chosen format. You can specify in the produce tab, where you want this video to be saved, taking into account Tomasc's comments above.

Hi Tomasc and Phil

I have saved the vidoe to my desktop and then copied to stick without success. I have attached photos of the message I get.

Hopefully you can see the pictures, cheers

Mike
[Thumb - foto 1.jpg]
 Filename
foto 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
554 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - foto 3.jpg]
 Filename
foto 3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
705 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - foto 2.jpg]
 Filename
foto 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
202 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
givmeacccccc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The pds file is purely the file that tells PowerDirector what and where your clips are and what changes you have made. The produce is where you turn the clips and edits from the timeline into a video in your chosen format. You can specify in the produce tab, where you want this video to be saved, taking into account Tomasc's comments above.
[Thumb - foto 1.jpg]
 Filename
foto 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
554 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Right your foto1 refers to the pds file, which, as we've said, is not a video file and needs to be produced before a video is created. Strictly speaking, only PowerDirector can open the pds file as it's propriety.

I can't tell from the other photos what your file is. Have you produced it to create a video? If so, what video type have you used?
givmeacccccc [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Guys

I have been successful in Capturing, Editing and Producing videos from an old VCR. Thank you all very much, I learned something new from each of you and am not sure exactly how I managed it but can now save my old VCRs to a memory stick and then show content on my TV screen.

I think one of the problems was that I was saving my work on to my desktop, when I tried saving to documents it seemed to work. I now get 2 files, one a PD one and the other an MP4 or whatever I choose.

Anyway all is good now after many hours of trying. I suppose that's the way to learn. Thanks once again folks, really appreciate your time.

Regards

Mike

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 23. 2020 10:07

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You seem to be missing the difference between Saving (the PDS project file) and Producing (the finished video, like an MP4).

PD8 is ancient and the earliest version I have is PD13, but this screenshot shows where the produced file will be placed. Make sure you set that to your desktop or even the Kingston USB drive:

You may also want to set File Explorer to show the file extensions for known file types so you be 100% certain of what each file is. Uncheck this box on File Explorer's Options:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
givmeacccccc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You seem to be missing the difference between Saving (the PDS project file) and Producing (the finished video, like an MP4).

PD8 is ancient and the earliest version I have is PD13, but this screenshot shows where the produced file will be placed. Make sure you set that to your desktop or even the Kingston USB drive:

You may also want to set File Explorer to show the file extensions for known file types so you be 100% certain of what each file is. Uncheck this box on File Explorer's Options:

givmeacccccc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys

Many thanks to you all. I am now able to Capture, Edit and Produce video from an old VHS and save on to a memory stick then play on my TV screen. Not sure how eventually I managed it but I seem to have a method now which works. I was saving the Produced video on to my desktop and when I saved to my Documents I seemed to get somewhere. Also the fact that I downloaded CODEC VLC Media Player helped. I now get 2 files one a PD file and another an MP4 or whatever I choose, maybe the PD one is the 'saved' file and the MP4 one the 'produced' file.

I realise that the PD I have is very old and if truth be told I probably gave up some years ago trying to get it to work for me. I learned something from each of you and am very grateful that you took the time to help me.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards

Mike