Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing Frames and Compiling
Elochai [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Newfoundland Joined: Dec 22, 2016 23:03 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
So not sure if this can be done in PD or not. But I have a full project of a video output by each frame to .tiff format after working on each frame.

So I want to import all frames into PD along with the audio file that goes with it, and then produce the video back into a playable format using H.265 (Not H264) codec. Can this be done by PD, or an I better off looking into ffmeg for this ?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You could put all those still images on the timeline and then change all their duration to 1 frame in length. Add that audio. I see no reason why you can't produce to HEVC as you never said which version of PD you have like the very old ones and the deluxe ones that don't have it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'll add that you'll first want to make sure that your project frame rate matches the clip your TIFFs came from. Next, set the image duration from the Preferences | Editing panel to 0.2 seconds, which is the smallest value allowed.

Select all the clips and drag them from the media library onto the timeline, then click on Duration (with them all still selected) and set the duration to 1. Add your audio and produce.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So not sure if this can be done in PD or not. But I have a full project of a video output by each frame to .tiff format after working on each frame.

So I want to import all frames into PD along with the audio file that goes with it, and then produce the video back into a playable format using H.265 (Not H264) codec. Can this be done by PD, or an I better off looking into ffmeg for this ?

ffmpeg, VirtualDub, probably anything better than PD for that task.

It is possible, I showed that yrs ago here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31108.page#post_box_200199 while others doubted. It took considerable patience then as Tony replicated and discovered, and not much better with a more recent PD version today. PD program response with hundreds, or thousands of pics in the timeline is not productive at all. So it really depends on how many tiff files, I often use VirtualDub for the task with several thousand photos.

You can use H.264, H.265 or any other format in PD if you wish, the output when carefully inspected may not be what you desire though, with any default profile, it won't necessary be the exact timeline frames in that order put to video even if each tiff file is one frame.

Jeff
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

ffmpeg, VirtualDub, probably anything better than PD for that task.

It is possible, I showed that yrs ago here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31108.page#post_box_200199 while others doubted. It took considerable patience then as Tony replicated and discovered, and not much better with a more recent PD version today. PD program response with hundreds, or thousands of pics in the timeline is not productive at all. So it really depends on how many tiff files, I often use VirtualDub for the task with several thousand photos.

You can use H.264, H.265 or any other format in PD if you wish, the output when carefully inspected may not be what you desire though, with any default profile, it won't necessary be the exact timeline frames in that order put to video even if each tiff file is one frame.

Jeff

Thinking I'm gonna have to try this with ffmpeg, never done it before but PD gives an error about being over it max supported file number of 25,000 files when importing the frames. I have just shy of 80,000 frames.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thinking I'm gonna have to try this with ffmpeg, never done it before but PD gives an error about being over it max supported file number of 25,000 files when importing the frames. I have just shy of 80,000 frames.

There is a limit of 2500 files not 25000 in the media library. You never supplied any relevant information or needed details. LOL.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thinking I'm gonna have to try this with ffmpeg, never done it before but PD gives an error about being over it max supported file number of 25,000 files when importing the frames. I have just shy of 80,000 frames.

The link showed you how to get around the 2,500 limit in the media library.

Regardless, with 80,000, as I had suggested, my experience is PD is not for that task. I typically do about 10,000 in VirtualDub, I see no reason it couldn't handle more though, ffmpeg should be similar experience.

Jeff
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

There is a limit of 2500 files not 25000 in the media library. You never supplied any relevant information or needed details. LOL.

Sorry I misread the error by one 0 ... What relevant information where you looking for ? Upon till that point, I didn't know PD had a limit to the number of files it could take into a project so I had no need to specify that I have a project with 79,820 frames that spans across two hard drives and takes up a total of 2.74 TB in 4K frames. Kinda figured the limit would of been my hardware ability. If you mean version of PD, it 16 and yes it has H.265, that what I use to encode 99% of my video as it produces a better file size.

The link showed you how to get around the 2,500 limit in the media library.

Regardless, with 80,000, as I had suggested, my experience is PD is
not for that task. I typically do about 10,000 in VirtualDub, I see no
reason it couldn't handle more though, ffmpeg should be similar
experience.

Jeff

Yeah no, I think your right about PD not being the best choice for doing the frames, I didn't even bother with the link after I tried importing the frames into PD, it gonna be slugish and I don't think it will result well.

Right now I am trying FFmpeg, even if I can get the footage done, then I can add the sound in after. But I am running into an error and can't seem to figure out where my mistake is. May have to check over there to see what silly thing I am doing wrong. 1st time using FFmpeg.

Got a concat file called frames.txt that has my frames locations

file 'J:\video\batchone\%d.tiff'
file 'F:\video\batchtwo\%d.tiff'

So from my understadning this should allow it to go from the first frame (000000.tiff) to the last frame (079820.tiff)

Then I am using the comand:

ffmpeg -r 30 -f concat -safe 0 -i frames.txt -vcodec libx265 -crf 20 -pix_fmt yuv420p F:\VideoOutput.mp4

but I then get an error

[image2 @ 00000293e9826c80] Could find no file with path 'fJ:\video\batchone\%d.tiff' and index in the range 0-4
[concat @ 00000293e981c940] Impossible to open 'fJ:\video\batchone\%d.tiff'
frames.txt: No such file or directory

After checking the file names, and paths, I'm sure it something simple I am over looking.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2020 13:59

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
error looks like index issue, 0 padding on %d, %06d

Jeff
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote error looks like index issue, 0 padding on %d, %06d

Jeff

Yeah I thought that too and changed it to %06d but no luck, same error. Also tried 0%d as the 1st 0 doesn't change in the file names. That also didn't work. Same error.

I have now generated a file with every frame in it so I don't have to use the %d command.

Now I get this error.

[concat @ 000001d30cddc840] Impossible to open 'fJ:\video\batchone\000000.tiff'
frames.txt: Protocol not found
Did you mean file:frames.txt?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2020 18:19

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yeah I thought that too and changed it to %06d but no luck, same error. Also tried 0%d as the 1st 0 doesn't change in the file names. That also didn't work. Same error.

I have now generated a file with every frame in it so I don't have to use the %d command.

Now I get this error.

[concat @ 000001d30cddc840] Impossible to open 'fJ:\video\batchone\000000.tiff'
frames.txt: Protocol not found
Did you mean file:frames.txt?

Mine appears to work fine with padding.
files.txt
file 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\one\img_'%03d'.jpg'
file 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\two\img_'%03d'.jpg'

Since start not specified second group of files needed to be from 000 again, I had just 200 pics in one and 382 pics in two.

Jeff
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

Mine appears to work fine with padding.
files.txt
file 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\one\img_'%03d'.jpg'
file 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\two\img_'%03d'.jpg'

Since start not specified second group of files needed to be from 000 again, I had just 200 pics in one and 382 pics in two.

Jeff

yeah, didn’t work for me, but I got past that by doing each frame by file name.

but as you can see, it see’s the files but won’t work with them. Starting to wonder if it has to do with the tiff file format or how they got compiled.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote yeah, didn’t work for me, but I got past that by doing each frame by file name.

but as you can see, it see’s the files but won’t work with them. Starting to wonder if it has to do with the tiff file format or how they got compiled.

No, don't think tiff is the issue. I can esseentially mimic your initial error

[image2 @ 000001f43c953380] Could find no file with path 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\one\img_%d.jpg' and index in the range 0-4
[concat @ 000001f43c94a340] Impossible to open 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\one\img_%d.jpg'
files.txt: No such file or directory

That has to do with padding as I mentioned and index.

Any chance you simply have a hack in your file? Why is location reference 'fJ:\video\' in error msg?

Anyhow, glad you have a solution. I really doubt you'd be anywhere near solution with PD and 80,000 pics in the timeline. I had hopes they would improve timeline response for such tasks when they added the inverse, produce image sequence at PD17, but they didn't.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2020 22:40

Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

No, don't think tiff is the issue. I can esseentially mimic your initial error

[image2 @ 000001f43c953380] Could find no file with path 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\one\img_%d.jpg' and index in the range 0-4
[concat @ 000001f43c94a340] Impossible to open 'C:\Users\Jeff\ffmpeg\one\img_%d.jpg'
files.txt: No such file or directory

That has to do with padding as I mentioned and index.

Any chance you simply have a hack in your file? Why is location reference 'fJ:\video\' in error msg?

Anyhow, glad you have a solution. I really doubt you'd be anywhere near solution with PD and 80,000 pics in the timeline. I had hopes they would improve timeline response for such tasks when they added the inverse, produce image sequence at PD17, but they didn't.

Jeff

no solution yet till I can get it to compile. Yeah I thought the f was weird too. I narrowed it down to the 1st char in the command line after the -i for the input file which is frames.txt. If I change it to a full path, it’ll be the drive later inside of the f.

not sure why it be the padding now though as I eliminated that completely by inputting full file names for all frames. So it doesn’t need the %d at all. It’s reading the full path and file on each line of the frames.txt file.
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

no solution yet till I can get it to compile. Yeah I thought the f was weird too. I narrowed it down to the 1st char in the command line after the -i for the input file which is frames.txt. If I change it to a full path, it’ll be the drive later inside of the f.

not sure why it be the padding now though as I eliminated that completely by inputting full file names for all frames. So it doesn’t need the %d at all. It’s reading the full path and file on each line of the frames.txt file.

Got it figured out.

It is the 16-bit TIFF files that are the issue. They're not being encoded correctly for ffmpeg to work with them.
BlueCat58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2021 16:42 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

That limit explains a lot. Too bad the program doesn't just pop up a dialog if you try to add too many to the timeline.

Edit: The link to Magic Movie Slide Show has a workaround. It also says that the software needs a lot of computing horsepower. I don't envy the job of a programmer, but they do tend to put in features for the 1% and not test the software for the other 99%.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 20. 2021 09:34

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That limit explains a lot. Too bad the program doesn't just pop up a dialog if you try to add too many to the timeline.

As explained prior, that limit does not apply to the timeline, only the media library and can easily be circumvented as described prior. You can have more in the timeline, things just get extremely slow and impractical to work effectively.

Jeff