Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 preview not showing video
glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I am running on Win XP SP3 with dual core P4 and 4GB RAM. On board video Intel G33/31 chips set with 128+ MB shared memory.
The video i am trying to preview/burn is ~50 minutes.
When I go to burn disk and preview the screen is blank but the menu music plays. In 'produce' I set it to Mpeg2, sq and PAL.

SOMETIMES if I just play the video itself without using the preview on the bottom right, it will play but it is inconsistent.
CPU goes to 100% memory usage is 1.3GB and it will sit there all day, ie no crashing.

One of the side-effects (I think) is that when I burn a DVD and play it on the TV, the lip-sync goes out towards the end even although in editing mode, it is 100%.

Does it make sense to put in another video card?

Any ideas would be useful as this is becoming a bit of a crisis as I have to have this stuff finished soon.

TIA
Glyn
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Its very likely you can get better results with a newer video card and hardware-based encoding since it takes some of the load off the processor during encoding. The modern cards also have accelerators built-in for h.264 and Mpeg2, which assist in previewing and editing, not just rendering.

Your G33/31 runs about 1/3rd the speed of an Nivida 8800GT and about 1/3rd the speed of an ATI 4830 video card. In other words, its not real fast.

Here is a chart that shows video card relative performance:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-price,2323-6.html

If you get a new card, just remember only the ATI cards will speed up Mpeg2 encoding. Nvidia cards only help speed up AVCHD encoding.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2009 15:14

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for this OTW. I actually installed am ATI card and now I can preview. I haven't gone into the hardware acceleration part as yet, but at least I can see what I have been doing!

Maybe you can help in the "next" issue? I am not able to render the video. It gets to 20-21% and zooms to 100% and proudly states it has finished, but the output mbo files are zero size. I have followed the instructions from another thread emptying the temp directory, ensuring no other apps are running, reinstalling PD, etc, but I cannot get past this. I suspect that some other app or process is the cause but I cannot find anything that might give a clue.

It would be useful to have some sort of debug tool or profiler to try and identify what it could be. But in the absence of this, do you have any ideas I can try?

Out of interest, I can render the video on my win 7 laptop. Go figure?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Glyn
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have the GPU acceleration turned on in the PD8 Preferences/Edit section?

And if so, do you have the latest video card drivers and AVIVO software drivers installed? Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.