Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changing photo demensions/shape - narrower on one end getting taller towards the opposite end
David_D [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 10, 2019 10:03 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
This seems straight forward enough - but can't figure out how this is done. I've looked through topics and watched a few tutorials.

I'm wanting to take a rectangular photo and fit it onto the side of a barn. To do that cleanly - the photo need to be verticaly shorter on the right side and taller on the left side. I find even if I 'unlock' aspect ratio, i can only crop in a linear fashon with with eirther the vertical or horziontal edges of the photo.

Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You just need to use the Keystone tool. I'm not sure which version you're using, but in PhD11, it's on the Adjustment tab, Manual, Global Adjustment Tools.

You can always click on the "?" at the top right of the app window to pull up the detailed Help webpage, and you can browse through the contents or search for relevant words.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You just need to use the Keystone tool. I'm not sure which version you're using, but in PhD11, it's on the Adjustment tab, Manual, Global Adjustment Tools.

You can always click on the "?" at the top right of the app window to pull up the detailed Help webpage, and you can browse through the contents or search for relevant words.

I'm using 365 ultra- which is 11 mostly?

Anyway - that does not quite do what I'm trying to do. Maybe this illistration will help. My gaol is to take a photo like on the left, and shape it like on the right.

Thoughts? Well - it's giving me a 404 forbidden message when I try to attatch a .jpg. So I'll try this - Notice how the vertical ends are of differing hights?

|
| |
| |
| |
|
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm using 365 ultra- which is 11 mostly?

Anyway - that does not quite do what I'm trying to do. Maybe this illistration will help. My gaol is to take a photo like on the left, and shape it like on the right.

Thoughts? Well - it's giving me a 404 forbidden message when I try to attatch a .jpg. So I'll try this - Notice how the vertical ends are of differing hights?

|
| |
| |
| |
|

That didn't post the same way it formatted - so think of it as one end of the photo have a 3 inch hight, and the other end having a 2 inch hight, so the effect is that the photo is small on one ned vs the opposite end.

A trapezoid!
[Thumb - Screenshot_2020-05-07 Quadrilaterals - Square, Rectangle, Rhombus, Trapezoid, Parallelogram.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_2020-05-07 Quadrilaterals - Square, Rectangle, Rhombus, Trapezoid, Parallelogram.png
[Disk]
 Description
like this
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello David_D,

It is straight forward, indeed. Thinking about your question, it's not clear whether you mean:

(a) preparing a photo to be painted/projected onto the barn (in real life), or
(b) overlaying an image onto a photo of a barn

In either case:

1. Import the photo

2. Open the Edit module to work in Layers

3. Click on Distort Transformation

4. Use the handles to manipulate the shape to match the barn

5. Export/Save As

I started doing a screen capture for you, but made too many mistakes (not long out of bed) embarassed

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I understood exactly what you wanted, and I was mistaken in recommending the Keystone tool. I hadn't realized that PhD would shift the content but leave the external frame dimensions unchanged.

What you actually want is to add the second image as a New Photo Layer from the Edit tab, like this:

The you can click on Distort transformation and reshape/resize and position the image eactly where you want to to go:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2020 15:48

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
Oh! and while I was making mistakes in my ill-fated screen capture, you chaps were having a different conversation, which has now shifted to a similar conversation!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2020 15:48

PIX YouTube channel
optodata
[Post New]
^ Yes, "great minds" again

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
and behold!

In the example below, I first cropped the original sunflowers photo into two sections to match the barn doors' aspect ratio.

1. Import barn photo

2. Open Edit

3. Add photo layer (left half of sunflowers)

4. Use Scale Transform to resize

5. Use Distort Transform to match left barn door

6. Repeat fro right door

7. Save

PIX PIX YouTube channel
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow. WOW!

Impressive, thank you for the help and guide. This did just what I was wanting, and what a result. I can see I've nt been using phD in the fashon I shouldhave all along - having had phD7 for a long time, and just now upgrading.

Thanks you both very, very much! BTW - I was wanting to add the overlay to a existing barn photo to be used as a backdrop for a info slide.

Thanks again!
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Wow. WOW!

Impressive, thank you for the help and guide. This did just what I was wanting, and what a result. I can see I've nt been using phD in the fashon I shouldhave all along - having had phD7 for a long time, and just now upgrading.

Thanks you both very, very much! BTW - I was wanting to add the overlay to a existing barn photo to be used as a backdrop for a info slide.

Thanks again!

Here's my barn,
[Thumb - barn crop layer.jpg]
 Filename
barn crop layer.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
barn crop layer
 Filesize
329 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]

Here's my barn,

HA! Looking at that 'super crop' blow up, I see i can still tidy it up some!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote HA! Looking at that 'super crop' blow up, I see i can still tidy it up some!

Well, you're the artist, but I think your shared clip looks great. In fact, I'd never know you'd "photoshopped" it if I hadn't been in on this discussion. Nice job!

YouTube/optodata