Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Flickering Titles
DocJass [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2015 22:15 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings:
This is a recent phenomenon:
On some but not all occasions, captions flicker for a split-second (at very beginning of appearance), not on my original Edit version (where they are perfectly "still"), but on the Produced version.
Any tips as to what might be causing this, and correction for same?
Thank you.
Bob in Houston

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 06. 2020 04:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
We can't see what you're seeing, so you'll need to give us more details. When you say "captions," are you talking about closed captions or titles? They are very different. What player are you seeing the flickers with?

Can you share a screenshot of your project's timeline and also the produced version that has the issue? PLease upload both to a folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. and paste a shareable link so we can get up tpo speed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
DocJass [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote We can't see what you're seeing, so you'll need to give us more details. When you say "captions," are you talking about closed captions or titles? They are very different. What player are you seeing the flickers with?

Can you share a screenshot of your project's timeline and also the produced version that has the issue? PLease upload both to a folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. and paste a shareable link so we can get up tpo speed.

Titles (sorry...). Player for both timeline and produced version is HP laptop.
Will get you additional info tomorrow if not today. Thanks...
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm. I did do some testing, and I see the same. I made a normal title gave it a color and a border with another color. The color of the border only kicks in after a few frames. The effect cannot be seens in the title designer, nor can it been seen when previewing (at least not on my computer). I see the change, hence the flickering in the produced result.

Some further testing tells me that the flickering does not always happen. I have not found out yet under what conditions it does

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2020 06:41

DocJass [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hmm. I did do some testing, and I see the same. I made a normal title gave it a color and a border with another color. The color of the border only kicks in after a few frames. The effect cannot be seens in the title designer, nor can it been seen when previewing (at least not on my computer). I see the change, hence the flickering in the produced result.

Some further testing tells me that the flickering does not always happen. I have not found out yet under what conditions it does

Thank you. What's weird is I have been using PD for years, employing countless titles. This problem has not occurred until current project. I guess it's minor, but, after devoting many hours to project, one wants it as perfect as possible...
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe it would help to test out your or Warry's project on other systems.

I put a simple white title with a blue border on the sample skateboarder clips and produced it with SVRT, Quick Sync and nVidia NVENC, but all of those produced clips show the letters and borders appearing simultaneously when the title starts. I even tried adding a title background, but again, they all appear onscreen at once.

By any chance is the project frame rate set to a different value than what you've produced to?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
(Maybe a good idea to rename the subject line into: "Flickering" Titles)

I have made a small video to show you guys what I experience. As Optodata writes, I do not see this all the time when I did some testing too. But the video below shows that for both titles in there that at the start a few frames are different (darker) from the subsequent frames that are showing what I have "programmed" the title designer to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_dSMmKsYc

Please note that the the darkening of the border restarts again when the ending effect starts. Apparently this effect "overrules" the border coloring?
I have used NO starting effect on the titles.
What I furthermore see is that in the titledesigner when moving through the title frame by frame, the designer appears to have difficulties going to the next frame, it takes about a second or more for it to get there. It shows a dark border first and then displays the border like I have set it to do. In a number of frame steps the title disappears from the screen alltogether.
I have changed the font, and that does not seem to make any difference.

I wonder what you see..
Thanks
Warry
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote (Maybe a good idea to rename the subject line into: "Flickering" Titles)

I have made a small video to show you guys what I experience. As Optodata writes, I do not see this all the time when I did some testing too. But the video below shows that for both titles in there that at the start a few frames are different (darker) from the subsequent frames that are showing what I have "programmed" the title designer to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_dSMmKsYc

Please note that the the darkening of the border restarts again when the ending effect starts. Apparently this effect "overrules" the border coloring?
I have used NO starting effect on the titles.
What I furthermore see is that in the titledesigner when moving through the title frame by frame, the designer appears to have difficulties going to the next frame, it takes about a second or more for it to get there. It shows a dark border first and then displays the border like I have set it to do. In a number of frame steps the title disappears from the screen alltogether.
I have changed the font, and that does not seem to make any difference.

I wonder what you see..
Thanks
Warry

Hi,
Could you upload your project file to a shared space so that I can test it and confirm your findings?

Thanks,
PowerDirector Moderator
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have uploaded the project file to:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/b6ede5fd95105e66bc681d425fd047cf20200506092145/543decdfd8e2f74b44e8fb7bc29c515320200506092145/e8bcf1

I have changed the font to Arial.
optodata
[Post New]
Warry, I seee exactly the same issue over here. It looks like it's related to other preview and title issues that have already been reported and confirmed (see here and here), but this is the first time I've seen it come through in a produced file.

I can actually see the effect inside PD whenever I click on one of the titles. It briefly flashes with the unwanted dark border before settling on the lighter border you chose in the Title Designer. I see it again when I click on the other title.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are as thorough as always Optodata, thanks for this and for pointing out that the issue has been escalated to CL and that they are chewing on it since fall last year.
Indeed I have seen the (undesired) effect inside PD too.
The hint I would give to the development team is: look at the frame by frame mode in the title designer: There is some hesitation at the beginning when you play the title at once. But you see the same hesitation when you play a step to the next frame, and it is repeated for each of the next frame steps. Almost if there is too much to calculate for that step; sometimes the title even disappears before it gets to the next frame. This hesitation is not always there. E.g. it becomes visible and apparent when I “play” with blur and opacity, 2 color gradient etc. Almost too much to calculate. Well, calculation can happen, but that should not be visible in the produced video.
DocJass [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You are as thorough as always Optodata, thanks for this and for pointing out that the issue has been escalated to CL and that they are chewing on it since fall last year.
Indeed I have seen the (undesired) effect inside PD too.
The hint I would give to the development team is: look at the frame by frame mode in the title designer: There is some hesitation at the beginning when you play the title at once. But you see the same hesitation when you play a step to the next frame, and it is repeated for each of the next frame steps. Almost if there is too much to calculate for that step; sometimes the title even disappears before it gets to the next frame. This hesitation is not always there. E.g. it becomes visible and apparent when I “play” with blur and opacity, 2 color gradient etc. Almost too much to calculate. Well, calculation can happen, but that should not be visible in the produced video.

FYI, for the short term, I have circumvented this problem by, in each of many instances, taking snapshot of "good" frame and using that for entire passage. Pain-in-the-arse, but, is now done, and all is cool.
Something interesting I noticed while accomplishing this (5 short films): In regard to titles, I used only two fonts, one black, one white. Without exception, the "fluttering" occurred only with white font, never with black. I can't imagine there's cause/effect going on, but, ??.
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. Snapshots are of course a temporary solution. Titles should go as expected. The other option would be using Titler Pro 1.5 plugin. Also has a lot of options, but one has to get the hang of it, and it takes more time to get where you want to be.

B.t.w. when I make the title black and give it a white border, I still get the strange and unexpected starting effect.....

Support ticket: CS002154971

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2020 13:38

DocJass [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK. Snapshots are of course a temporary solution. Titles should go as expected. The other option would be using Titler Pro 1.5 plugin. Also has a lot of options, but one has to get the hang of it, and it takes more time to get where you want to be.

B.t.w. when I make the title black and give it a white border, I still get the strange and unexpected starting effect.....

Thank you...