Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to create Stop Motion/Motion Graphics
Granet123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2013 23:03 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I have photographed items that I want to move around in my video.

I can do it as a Stop Motion, taking many photographs as I move each piece a little bit and then string the images together (Wallace & Grommet style).

But I've also been able to take each image, drop out the background and move it around using Pan & Zoom. The problem is the range of motion is quite limited, for example I haven't been able to make items enter from off screen.

Is there a better way of doing this? I'm not too concerened if the motion is smooth or stepped.

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 01. 2020 01:12

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
With the PIP designer you should be able to move pictures around even of screen using keyframes. PD will even sort out movements between positions automatically, with ease in and out etc.
Removing backgrounds will help, as will green screen using chroma keys
Also search for animation tutorials for PD, there are many good ones that will teach you what you can do.
Have fun!
Granet123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, learning PIP, can be tough to get things the same size (matching items), but generally does the job.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
It is fun to learn about the possibilities of PIP. Sizes and many other setting can be very precise as you may have noticed, by using the numbers. There are also other tricks in many PD tutorials. Highly recommended
Granet123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, thanks again.

A PIP question:

I have a motion that is 3 seconds duration, but I want to speed up the movement/shorten the clip to 2 seconds. It seemed logical to me that if I compressed the clip on the timeline that it would do this, but it cuts off the clip instead. If I had used the Cut tool that would have made sense.

I don't know how much I want to compress (or shorten) the clip until I do it on the timeline and review it, but I can't as it cuts off the movement.

It seems to have to move the KeyFrames first, then shorten the clip. That's a pretty clunky workaround. Isn't there a better way?

Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It seems to have to move the KeyFrames first, then shorten the clip. That's a pretty clunky workaround. Isn't there a better way?

Looks like you've bumped up aginst one of PD's editing quirks. On some tools, the keyframes are linked to the starting frame and don't shift if you trim the clip's end; while others are relative and will retain the same proportional distance when the clip is shortened, which can completely throw off the timing.

Depending on exactly what you're trying to accomplish, if it isn't possible to know upfront how long a clip should last, it might be better to keyframe everything to match the clip's content, then use Produce Range to make a finished copy of that section.

If you replace the keyframed clip with the produced version, you're then free to make any duration edits without worrying about keyframes becoming misaligned with the content.
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
what Optodata says. There is currently no better way.