Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating a virtual choir recording with 100 individual singers?
craig49 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2016 19:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I recently read a creator's blog who created a virtual choir recoding with PD 16. Has anyone done this? Can I get advice on how to do it with 100 singers. They will record themselves individually as they follow my video of the director, upload their recording to DropBox and theoretically I will download them into PD to make the finished product. Maybe with PIP feature?? I have purchased a new computer and will be downloading PD 18. Need help please.

Thanks,
Craig

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2020 14:13

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Craig -

It's doable, but you probably wouldn't want the 100 singers on screen ALL at the same time. The videos I've seen (many) like that typically vary the number of people (PiPs) dis[played at any one time, from 1 - 20. For short periods you could have the whole choir but, of course, each member would be very small.

Some examples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HezxInuN1YA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hc_1c_Ask0

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
craig49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion but my question is more about can I do it with PD and what features would I use.
Thanks,
Craig
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the suggestion but my question is more about can I do it with PD and what features would I use.
Thanks,
Craig

Hi,
In simple theory, add 98 more tracks to your timeline, place each singer's recording on a separate track, 100 tracks will max out PDR's track layout, synch them all by audio, resize each track output to suit your chosen screen layout, say a 10 by 10 grid or whatever you find appropriate, bear in mind that input video resolution/quality and output resolution may determine how many recordings are acceptable on any one screen, and edit accordingly!

Enabling shadow files will probably be a must and preview might be pretty dire, depending on system specs.

Different input file types and characteristics - phone, camera, webcam, aspect ratio etc - may also throw a few gremlins into the mix, so some "standardisation processing" might be required before the final assembly.

Cumulative audio from 100 tracks may also be an issue, so careful attention to each recording audio will be required in order not to have a bit of a muddy mess?

Personally, I'd probably initially practise on multiples of the standard skatebord clip to gauge what is possible/practical before doing a final arrangement of your choir.

When it's finished, why not post a link in the Showcase forum and let us know how you get on??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 27. 2020 16:00

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
craig49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony...this was very helpful but how do I establish the desired grid to place each individual's file on the grid or does the program determine the grid by the number of files placed on the timeline?

Craig
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
An example that can be done in PD18 without much difficulty.

If I were to do it, the first thing is to sync all of the videos to produce a main audio track.
Then I alternated the videos in the best way

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2020 16:52

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365