Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD detected as Trojan?
Marcus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2009 18:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I recently bought a new Blu-Ray player for my PC and got my Cyberlink Blu-Ray disc Suite bundled with it. I install Power DVD and boom right off the bat my McAfee detects a Trojan from the program and deletes the file. Both times I installed PowerDVD I get a detected file, either a Video filter file or an Audio filter file. I have been trying to get customer support to help me but have had no luck. Yes I have contacted McaFee and they said to contact Cyberlink, so yeah. I am getting aggravated.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marcus,

It's unfortunate that some files within PowerDVD are deemed Trojans by some anti-virus/spyware programs, another one to do so is ZoneAlarm Pro.
One way to try and correct the problem, is to note the name of the files it detects as Trojans, then create an exception rule within McAfee to allow the files to be installed.
The files are not Trojans, it's just the way CyberLink have named them, other CyberLink programs also suffer from the same issue.

Robert
Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marcus,

To add a bit to what Robert said, here is the FAQ question related to this issue...though it is labelled as a virus.

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6877&prodId=1&prodVerId=578

Not sure the solution will help, but you can try if Robert's suggestion doesn't work. Says just update to the latest virus definition and it should be fine.

Regards,
David
Marcus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2009 18:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank You for the quick replies. I have tried and tried and tried to add those files to the trusted list, but there is no option for doing so. It gets automatically deleted as soon as the file is installed. I go to Restore files and I can't do anything there. I go to the trusted programs tab and there is nothing there. Like literally nothing at all, it says that no program was found. Am I doing something wrong?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marcus,

I also use McAfee, and once had a similar issue. I was attempting to download a plugin (for a piece of software I have), from a site that a good friend runs. For some reason, on this one particular new plugin he created, I got the Trojan warning, and McAfee would not allow me to download this new plugin patch. My friend verified that there was no Trojan in that patch (which I already knew).

I contacted McAfee and explained the situation. With McAfee on the phone, we completely disabled McAfee. I then successfully downloaded the patch (a quick download), and the new plugin worked fine. Then McAfee was re-enabled, and I was told to (before I do anything else), do a complete scan of my computer with McAfee, to see if it again detects a Trojan in that plugin file that had now been installed, and if I’m asked if I want McAfee to remove it.
If it doesn’t detect any Trojan, have a nice day. If it does, call us back and we’ll help you remove it if you need help doing that.

I use that plug in all the time, and my computer has been scanned at least 20 times since that download. And I’ve never had another Trojan warning for that file since that first “false” warning when trying to download it.

I don’t know if this applies to, or helps you with your situation. But there it is for what it’s worth.
Now naturally, that was just my experience. Disable McAfee At Your Own Risk!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips