Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Latest version of PhD11 Edit tab options
2bskyhi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2020 12:27 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all, I feel like the solution to my issue is probably REALLY simple & I'm just missing it...

In response to a screen prompt, I recently downloaded & installed the latest update to PhD11.
Sadly, after I imported a couple photos, I selected the LAYERS tab. Now, the LAYERS mode is always ON and it won't go away. I can select any other tab, but the LAYERS tab is gone & it does not return--even after closing & reopening PhD11. While in this LAYERS mode, the EDIT tab is unresponsive. I need the "EDIT" tab function so I can choose to work on Panoramics etc. See screen shot of version & issue are "Here"

Please help me get the EDIT panel/ function back & share the secret to escaping this LAYER hell.

Thank You, 2bskyhi.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry you're having trouble with PhD11, and thanks for the screenshot.

The first thing to try is to delete (or maybe even better, rename) the latest PhotoDirector project (.PHD) file and see if PhD will launch correctly. It will create a new .PHD file, and if you've only just started editing, that should be all you need to do.

If you had lots of previous work from previous versions of PhD that you'd like to recover, see this post for more details. Note that your folders names will end in 11.0, not 10.0 as that post was written when PhD 10 was current.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
2bskyhi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry you're having trouble with PhD11, and thanks for the screenshot.

The first thing to try is to delete (or maybe even better, rename) the latest PhotoDirector project (.PHD) file and see if PhD will launch correctly. It will create a new .PHD file, and if you've only just started editing, that should be all you need to do.

If you had lots of previous work from previous versions of PhD that you'd like to recover, see this post for more details. Note that your folders names will end in 11.0, not 10.0 as that post was written when PhD 10 was current.

Thank you for the response Optodata. That all sounds good & I'm happy to do as you suggest, but I don't know where to find that latest .PHD file--or any .PHD file. I did a Search in Windows & got no results.
Plz advise.

Thank You, 2bskyhi
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I did a Search in Windows & got no results.

Did you look in the \Pictures\PhotoDirector\11.0\username folder as mentioned in the linked post? On my system the username folder is actually \optodata_11.04\ but I have a newer version of PhD11 (subscription version) and I don't know if your folder will have an appended version number or not.

If that folder doesn't exist, use PhD's File menu and click on Open Project to see where it's currently looking. Note that on my system, The Select a project file dialog window only points to the Pictures folder, so you'd have to drill down to the PhotoDirector folder from there.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

2bskyhi [Avatar]
[Post New]

Did you look in the \Pictures\PhotoDirector\11.0\username folder as mentioned in the linked post? On my system the username folder is actually \optodata_11.04\ but I have a newer version of PhD11 (subscription version) and I don't know if your folder will have an appended version number or not.

If that folder doesn't exist, use PhD's File menu and click on Open Project to see where it's currently looking. Note that on my system, The Select a project file dialog window only points to the Pictures folder, so you'd have to drill down to the PhotoDirector folder from there.

Sorry Optodata, I did not look at that post originally--an urgent honey-do interupted me--then I forgot it... I have since looked at it, but didn't get to the bottom of my problem... I did find the folder you mentioned, but no project .phd files were in there. And, I don't know that I should have expected any to be in there becasue I have never saved any since installing PhD11.

So, I reinstalled PhD11, then opened an older .jpeg that I had previously never opened with the original version of PhD11.
The Layers mode is still the default, and I see no way to make it go away to access the EDIT tab.

Can I roll-back to an earlier version somehow--one that works right? Am I the only one with this problem?

Just in case, I've included a link to my latest dxdiag file.

Thank you again, 2bskyhi
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I did find the folder you mentioned, but no project .phd files were in there. And, I don't know that I should have expected any to be in there becasue I have never saved any since installing PhD11.

Something's wrong, because as soon as you open a new version of PhD, it will reach for the existing .PHD file and convert it. If one doesn't exist, it will create one regardless of whether you do anything at all besides open the app.

I imagine there's something interfering with your search for files with a .PHD extension as you undoubtedly have at least two copies now. I don't imagine that a setting like this would trip you up, but make sure this box is unchecked when you go to File Explorer > View > Options:

Quote The Layers mode is still the default, and I see no way to make it go away to access the EDIT tab.

This puzzles me. In PhD11 the Edit menu is the Layers tab and I can't picture how you can't access the Edit tab if you can see any layers. Your earlier sscreen shot shows the same Edit screen as this:

Quote Can I roll-back to an earlier version somehow--one that works right? Am I the only one with this problem?

Nobody else is reporting problems, but you can't go back if you paid for an upgrade to v11 from a previous version as the older version would have been removed during the upgrade. If you paid for a full new version, the older program shouldn't have been removed.

If you have no older version installed, you could restore from a system image you manually made before you updated, or you could try WIndows' built in System Restore tool to go back. If neither are available, you'll have to uninstall Phd11 and then install the older version from its original installer.

YouTube/optodata

2bskyhi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the delayed response Optodata. Crazy Covid-world/ work distractions.... I hope you & your family are well... We're good...

You shared a screen shot of the EDIT tab that matches my Edit tab... Until I upgraded to PhotoDirector 11, the Edit tab showed, among many other things, an option to do photo-merges/ sticthing with a "Panoramic" feature--NOT just "Layers."
THAT panoramic feature is what I'm looking for. I searched on YouTube & the Forum and I've found no direction or posts for How-To do Panoramics in PhotoDirector 11....

Hopefully that gets us closer to resolving my issue since PhotoDirector 11's EDIT tab has changed significantly, w/ no obvious access to the features under the old PhototDirector 10 EDIT tab...

Thank you, 2bskyhi
2bskyhi [Avatar]
[Post New]
BTW, this Cyberlink post suggests my EDIT tab should show the Photo merge feature I'm seeking:

https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/photodirector-photo-editing-software/136/incredibly-simple-way-to-create-panoramic-photos

Thank again, 2bskyhi
2bskyhi [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, last BTW example... Here's a YouTube video FROM Cyberlink that shows the screen I used to see in the EDIT tab.

Scene is at about the 37seconds mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pqLr5bhtA

Thanks AGAIN, 2bskyhi
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for clarifying what you're looking for. The tutorial you linked to looks like PhD6.

PhD11 made some significant changes to the user interface, including moving content from the old Edit tab to the newly added Guided tab. That's where you'll find the Photo Merge > Panorama tool you're looking for.

By far the easiest way to figure out where the features are now is to click on the "?" up at the top right corner, which will bring up the Help guide. Simply type "panorama" into the search field and you'll see everything you need.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2020 18:54

2bskyhi [Avatar]
[Post New]
EXCELLENT!!!

Thank you Optodata! I'll remeber the "?" too.

2bskyhi