Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Anyone know a good upscaler
Elochai [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Newfoundland Joined: Dec 22, 2016 23:03 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I been doing some old VHS videos and I'd like to upscale them to 1080p. I tried a trial product by a company as there AI based program came up as 1st on google; but it software made it seem like it was doing a lot of work to "upscale" the video. Took a half hour to do it, and used up 90% of my GTX 2080ti in overclocked mode to give me a final product that didn't look no better then if I just resize the video in my PD16 (Which take less time to render using less hardware).

I'd like to upscale the video and then work on it within PD16. One of these days a upscaler may get added to PD, and I'll upgrade on that day as most of my video content is old school footage.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your TV is the best upscaler in your house.
If you have captured VHS compressed, then upscale compress, then edit in PD and perhaps compress.
That is Satan's workflow. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Your TV is the best upscaler in your house.
If you have captured VHS compressed, then upscale compress, then edit in PD and perhaps compress.
That is Satan's workflow.

these video were captured by someone else and sent to me. Now if I was doing them off as DVD, I probably do them off at the resolution they are in. But I’m doing these digitally. Unfortunately a computer monitor does not upscale, if it does then it not to good at it lol. The original on a 4K monitor is good at its native size, which is about 2 inches by 3 inches on the screen lol.

I really don’t want choppy looking video and I want to at least get 1080p quality if I can.

Now I know when I do old game systems like the N64, I can upscale the video with a physical $30 upscaler that takes the composite input, upscale to 720p and 1080p and spits the video out by HDMI. I used this before with a HDMI recorder with great results, it works so well that I been thinking of using my regular VCR instead of the VCR to PC by ION that I own. It just to bad that PD doesn’t recognize my HDMI recorder like OBS Studio does so I can’t record directly within PD, in fact it’s the only video recording software I have used that doesn’t pickup my HDMI recorder which is just a simple EzCap285.

But all in all, the issue is still the same, I got video that on the computer which needs to be upscaled for computer use. So being able to see the video in a higher resolution would be a great help. I was willing to pay for the upscale software till I noticed the end results were no better then just resizing in PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2020 22:41

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
i have panny dmr-ez475v that'll upscale 480p to 720p 1080p 1080i through the HDMI...
go to panny's Product Guide - DVD Recorder DMR-EZ475 to see what you can tinker with and buy a used one in decent condition on eBay.
yup, mine is about 13 years old and still kicking. i haven't replaced any pinch rollers yet... plays the good, the bad and the ugly in VHS tape... it'll record VHS-DvD and SDHC-DvD. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote i have panny dmr-ez475v that'll upscale 480p to 720p 1080p 1080i through the HDMI...
go to panny's Product Guide - DVD Recorder DMR-EZ475 to see what you can tinker with and buy a used one in decent condition on eBay.
yup, mine is about 13 years old and still kicking. i haven't replaced any pinch rollers yet... plays the good, the bad and the ugly in VHS tape... it'll record VHS-DvD and SDHC-DvD. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

yeah, I got a upscaler for that by WavLink. What I’m looking for is software to upscale 480p video that I already have on the computer. That’s where I’m hitting issues. If I had the VHS tape itself the. I’d use my upscaler that I physically have. But all I have is the digital media in 480p resolution.

I tried DVDfab Enlarger AI as it claims to be a good upscaler with AI being able to recreate the image. It used all 11GB of my GTX 2080TI, half of my CPU (which is 8 cores and 16 threads @ 5.00Ghz) and took 30 mins to render out 480p to 1080p. Video results where worst then just resizing in PD16. Gonna try another program I found that claims to do AI upscaling, but I got a feeling it may be the same software but rebranded.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2020 15:14

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... But all I have is the digital media in 480p resolution. ...

since panny upscales VHS, DvD and SDHC to 720p 1080p 1080i to the HDMI output... maybe you can put in something in between to capture upscaled video like Blu-ray recoder???

i guess, it comes down to how bad you want it. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

since panny upscales VHS, DvD and SDHC to 720p 1080p 1080i to the HDMI output... maybe you can put in something in between to capture upscaled video like Blu-ray recoder???

i guess, it comes down to how bad you want it. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

yes, like I was saying, I don’t need a physical upscaler as I have that now. It software I need to upscale the 480p files I have in MP4 format on the computer already.

Good news is, I found software that is capable of doing it using AI technology. So far the results are 120% better then what DVDfab has to offer for there AI upscaler. Bad news is that it costs $200 USD or for me about $282 Canadian.

But the results are extremely good, intense on hardware tho, I’m still upscaling a 480p file to 1080p that is over 1 hour and a half of footage, about 14 hours into the AI upscaling but like I said, the results look very good, looks as if it was shot with a 1080p camcorder and the AI is doing the pixels (adding in and smoothing our areas) that even hard to see in the original footage.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Did you look at VirtualDub or Avidemux? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Good news is, I found software that is capable of doing it using AI technology. So far the results are 120% better

Can you tell us the name of the app you like better, and maybe upload a short source clip and the AI-upscaled version to a folder on OneDrive or Google Drive so we can see what it looks like?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Good news is, I found software that is capable of doing it using AI technology. So far the results are 120% better then what DVDfab has to offer for there AI upscaler. Bad news is that it costs $200 USD or for me about $282 Canadian.

Elochai, I'd assume probably Topaz Labs. If so, you can still get their free beta version (google search) which is probably not nearly as refined of a release but I've had good luck with it. Has a small UI but I predominately use in cli so not for everyone. I have found it better than the other product you mention for most stuff I've done.

Since a competitor with PD's "Video Enhancement" technology which is a very poor upsampling and sharpening technology one probably can't write too much or the thread will be locked and/or removed.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Elochai, I'd assume probably Topaz Labs.

I remember their Topaz Moments from the days when DV and Win xp were at the top. Great products where more than 1 frame can be used to determine the outcome.
Elochai [Avatar]
[Post New]

Elochai, I'd assume probably Topaz Labs. If so, you can still get their free beta version (google search) which is probably not nearly as refined of a release but I've had good luck with it. Has a small UI but I predominately use in cli so not for everyone. I have found it better than the other product you mention for most stuff I've done.

Since a competitor with PD's "Video Enhancement" technology which is a very poor upsampling and sharpening technology one probably can't write too much or the thread will be locked and/or removed.

Jeff

You would be correct, I am using Topaz Labs Enhance AI and it blows DVDfab version out of the water.

Can't really post any video clips of my convertions as people on the videos wouldn't like that to much. But nothing stopping people to try it out.

I can't see CyberLink locking or closing the thread tho as they don't have a product that does the same thing. PD's "Video Enhancement" technology doesn't use AI or machine learning to generate new upscaled video.

This is a great tool tho to upscale your low res videos and then work on them in PD.

I was gonna post a few frames from an old 1993 clip homevideo but it looks like I would have to host them myself or go through the trouble of an image host for these forums.

So far I only used the Gaia HQ and Gaia-CG for the AI option, the other two Artemis options for AI seem to result in a lot of noise and blocks during upscale.

I have found Gaia-CG (The version of AI that computer generates new pixels) to work very well when it comes to faces in a video being upscaled. I have footage where even the 480p version of the footage has a lot of blocky-ness on a face and it upscaled it and generated the face to near prefect. Was better then the original. Now yes I also got results where you can tell it had pixels added in but the results were still better then no upscaling at all.

I was more amazed yesterday (as I said I was upscaling a 1 hour and 30 min video for 14 hours, well it was done after 20 hours total upscale time). In one of the videos, there was a wedding dress with lace. On a close up shot, the lace was very burry and blended into a blocky pixelated area. When upscaled with Gaia-CG option, it came out with each area of the lace highy visible and detailed. each hole and lace pattern clear and shape.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2020 14:06