Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dual Preview with 3 monitors
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
I posted about this years ago. When selecting Dual Preview, PowerDirector chooses the wrong monitor for my preview - my portrait monitor, which is useless when working with horizontal video. The only way I found to make PD chose the right monitor was to turn off the 3rd in Windows. Has this been fixed yet ? I'm still holding off upgrading from PD16 but might upgrade if this was fixed. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I posted about this years ago. When selecting Dual Preview, PowerDirector chooses the wrong monitor for my preview - my portrait monitor, which is useless when working with horizontal video. The only way I found to make PD chose the right monitor was to turn off the 3rd in Windows. Has this been fixed yet ? I'm still holding off upgrading from PD16 but might upgrade if this was fixed.

No fix in PD, best option is probably use a multi-monitor managing software, several available. I've used both DisplayFusion and MultiMonitor with success, maybe try that option to see if it fits your needs.

Jeff
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]

No fix in PD, best option is probably use a multi-monitor managing software, several available. I've used both DisplayFusion and MultiMonitor with success, maybe try that option to see if it fits your needs.

Jeff

Thanks. Looking at the feature set for DisplayFusion, I'm not sure how it would solve the problem. Does it allow monitors in Windows to be renumbered so that I can choose which one is "secondary" ? By default, the monitor number is dictated by the hardware apparently.

BTW, since you have played around with those, I have another (not PD-related) need - to combine multiple monitors (of identical size) into a single logical one. Do you know if any software supports that ?
Thanks,
Julien MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
DisplayFusion will let you place any window from any app onto whichever monitor you want, and you can set it to remember that location, size and orientation and automatically place the window there the next time you run the app.

With that functionality, I don't see a need to "combine" physical monitors. Note that you may have to get the paid version for that feature, but they never charge for updates and their support desk is always quick and helpful.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote DisplayFusion will let you place any window from any app onto whichever monitor you want, and you can set it to remember that location, size and orientation and automatically place the window there the next time you run the app.

With that functionality, I don't see a need to "combine" physical monitors. Note that you may have to get the paid version for that feature, but they never charge for updates and their support desk is always quick and helpful.

Thanks. The need to combine two monitors is not for PowerDirector. It is for my day job. I found a way to do it on my work laptop with the Intel iGPU's "collate" function. It is slow as molasses at 7680x2160, though, so I think I won't use it. It looks like I can do this on my personal computer also with nVidia drivers "surround" features, but if I do so, I lose the third display which has a different resolution. Anyway, this is not useful for PD regardless.

I downloaded DisplayFusion on my personal PC. I created a new "Windows position profile" and then clicked edit. PowerDirector is running full-screen and with dual-preview enabled. But it is showing as a single window in DisplayFusion, even though Dual Preview is enabled. It doesn't appear to be possible to move the preview area separately from the editing area, unless I'm missing something, which I probably am. Am I looking in the right place in the software ?

Edit: I wasn't. I clicked settings/functions. I see that Ctrl-Win-X will move a window to a specific monitor. And it works correctly with the preview window, separately from the editor. This is great ! Looks like this is part of the free version, also, Pretty cool. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K