Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
combining .dv video files
zoran76 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2020 02:12 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible to combine .dv files with PowerDirector? Also, is there a version of PowerDirector available for the Mac?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2020 02:29

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector is not available for Mac.

.dv files are obsolete standard definition files captured on Macs from miniDV camcorders, the Mac equivalent to DV-AVIs. But you should be able to edit them in PowerDirector.
zoran76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PowerDirector is not available for Mac.

.dv files are obsolete standard definition files captured on Macs from miniDV camcorders, the Mac equivalent to DV-AVIs. But you should be able to edit them in PowerDirector.
Not available for Macs? Now thats depressing... what am i gonna do now? Ive got all mycaptured videos in .dv format! cry
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector video Editor does not run on a Mac computer. Cyberlink PowerDirector is Windows computer only.

You can edit .dv files on a Windows computer using PowerDirector.

.dv file may have been a Mac creation, but the video files can be edited on any video editor that supports the .dv format. If you only have a Mac computer, then you need a Mac video editor. There are some for $$$. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

zoran76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PowerDirector video Editor does not run on a Mac computer. Cyberlink PowerDirector is Windows computer only.

You can edit .dv files on a Windows computer using PowerDirector.

.dv file may have been a Mac creation, but the video files can be edited on any video editor that supports the .dv format. If you only have a Mac computer, then you need a Mac video editor. There are some for $$$.

Are you aware of any to suggest? Preferably id be interested in some that you have worked with and you do know they do the job corectlly and accuratelly. I have used some but they do not work well since they have issues with sound sync (specially ate the end of the combined video) cry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2020 04:48

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Are you aware of any to suggest? Preferably id be interested in some that you have worked with and you do know they do the job corectlly and accuratelly. I have used some but they do not work well since they have issues with sound sync (specially ate the end of the combined video) cry

PowerDirector and other windows software can run on a Mac using say Parallels or Boot Camp. Did a google search and found tons of solutions to fix audio sync problems on a Mac. You can try some of those converters that claim to fix the problems on a Mac. Windows users here have their own solutions here. Doubt that running a windows video editor alone will fix it without using a converter of some sort to fix the frame rate.
zoran76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Guys, let me ask. The combination of .dv files into one master .dv, is it call wrapping or wrap?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2020 10:12

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Guys, let me ask. The combination of .dv files into one master .dv, is it call wrapping or wrap?

Video Wrapping is a term often used to encapsulate series of video frames into a file format that also includes metadata the describes the content.

If you want to turn a series of (.dv) video clips (files) into one (.dv) video file, that might be called appending, or stitching or combining (as you say in the beginning) etc.
Unless you have a very specific reason for gluing the .dv video clips together, I would not do that; for various reasons, including: the resulting file may become much longer and thus more laborious to inputting, processing, copying, transferring, etc. ;
also in the appending process some conversion might take place in case one or more clips have different specifications (the resulting appended clip likely adheres to one specification). And conversion mostly leads to lesser quality.
and lastly, if you want to edit the clips, it may be much more handy to do that with smaller files.

So, it would be good to look at the question: what is the result I want. Is that "only" a series of clips that now are one (long) video file. In that case you may want to look for more simple video software that can do just that.
In case you also want to edit the clips and maybe even make a video format that be used more universally, then you may indeed want to look for a video editing program.
Suggest you search for Mac Video editing software to find out which are available and to what extend they can help you getting to the desired result.
And indeed Powerdirector can help you with both kind of results mentioned, but as you might have understood: you need a windows platform.
Have fun!
zoran76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
When the capturing was made, there was a setting to cut the captured video everytime there was a dropped frame. So as you can figure out, the result was to get a large nymber of standalone captured videos rather than one that would contain them all.
As far as the large files handling/editing, i understand what u mean, but i know what kind of editing i will make and it will not messup my workflow. Thanks for pointing that out though ;
Are u certain that when combining .dv files there will be a loss of quallity?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Are u certain that when combining .dv files there will be a loss of quallity?

No, on the contrary. As I understand your ordeal a bit better, one would assume that the pieces indeed all have the same specs.
And when they all have the same specs and you maintain those specs when combining them, there is in principle no reasons why conversion (which might be the reason for quality loss) will take place. Maybe you can find software that allows you to easily (and quickly) append the files, in the order desired.
zoran76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just created another combined .dv file and this one too has sync issues mostly seen at the last seconds of the video.
Here is a specs preview, of the .dv files i merged. On the third row, you can also see the specs of the produced merged .dv file.
Any idea whats wrong?
 Filename
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 21.20.47.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2020 14:29

Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any idea whats wrong?

All the files have precisely the same specs, lenght of the result is about the same as the total of the individual files. The audio specs are a bit higher in the merged file but that should not be a problem. What makes you say that something is wrong?
Did you try to look at the result?

I can only guess that you might see a hickup at the place where the clips were merged, in that case I would assume that (some of) the frames that were wrong and caused a new file to be started are still included in the clips. In that case you may need a video editor to remove those frames, or maybe you can tell the merging software to forget a number of frames at the end of each clip?
From this disctance and having no experience with the .dv files, and software you use, i can only be guessing, you understand....