Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD freezes during playback
DSS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2009 22:18 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Since a recent update (I am current) during BD playback PowerDVD freezes the image while the time continues as if it is playing. This happens only on BD playback.

I am using PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

Anyone else suddenly have the player freeze while watching BDs?
Oswald [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 03, 2009 12:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
My PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra does the same thing when playing my blu-ray's. It will play the first 7 to 10 seconds and then freeze never reaching the main menu. I have emailed Cyberlink, and that has been useless so far.
Kosm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2009 16:12 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Oswald,

Mine freezes after 15/20 minutes.. but continues after that.

I'll post a new thread, because it's not exactly the same as your problem.

just to let you know that you are not the only one with freeze/stutter/skip problems
DSS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2009 22:18 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
OK, so let's try this again, maybe someone from Cyberlink can help me or at least get a real idea of the problem to resolve it in the next patch.

Specs:
Dual-Proc Xeon 3.066,
3.25GB RAM (really 4GB, but I digress...),
Windows XP SP3,
SATA external drives containing media files and backups of my BDs,
External LiteOn BD connected via USB
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 512MB PCI, driver 191.07
Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.3.5 (was not on beta when this started, tried that to resolve the problem)
PowerDVD 9 Ultra build 9.0.2115
PowerDVD 8 Ultra 8.0.3017b.50
Striker 7.1 Sound Card

I have both PowerDVD 8 Ultra and PowerDVD 9 Ultra installed on the same system.

After applying the latest PowerDVD 9 Ultra patch I have been experiencing a problem intermittently using both versions of PowerDVD 8 & 9. A BD playback from hard drive will freeze while the movie clock will continue. No sound as well.

Where this happens, it always happens, and it occurs in both PowerDVD9 and PowerDVD8 since the patch.

Let's add another wrench... it only happens when playing from the beginning of the disc. If I start the movie just before the location where it freezes, then it doesn't freeze. (I cannot say this is an absolute, I have not done significant testing on starting just before the freeze, only a couple times)

For example, the Otis BD, at approximately 20 minutes into the movie it freezes, the same place every time. Video frozen, no sound, clock continues to tick, but if I try to click on the movie to skip ahead PowerDVD is frozen. I have to kill the process.

Occurs on Spiderman 3.

Occurs on Transformers.

Not-So-Funny thing is it didn't happen at all on these movies before the patch. I can watch the movies with TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum without the problem, but that player sucks in comparison to PowerDVD.

And... the kicker, I cannot go to a previous version. When I uninstall the patch to revert back, the problem still exists. So whatever file was overwritten that is causing the problem is still a problem after the uninstall.

I don't want to use TMT3. Please fix PowerDVD.