Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Feature Request
David_D [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 10, 2019 10:03 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
A helpful addition to Power Director would be if Power Director could extract and over lay GPS data from GoPro cameras - like Dashware, exc does. cool

OR is power Director wouldn't earese that data when doing edits. If I take a GoPro video and edit it, then run it through Dashware or GoPro's qwik program, PD erases the GPS data when it proceses the edits.

So Now I have to firstly run the unedited video through dashware or Qwick to have it overlay the gauges using the GPS data, then take that video and inport it into PowerDirector and do my edits.

Dashware and Qwick are pretty lame and very S-L-O-W...

A little help?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not familiar with the other apps you mention, but to be clear, PD doesn't erase anything. Your original clips are untouched, but the produced video doesn't have any metadata from your source clips, so there's no GPS info.

To let Cyberlink know that you'd like to see that kind of functionality added, you can use Rate US & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not familiar with the other apps you mention, but to be clear, PD doesn't erase anything. Your original clips are untouched, but the produced video doesn't have any metadata from your source clips, so there's no GPS info.

To let Cyberlink know that you'd like to see that kind of functionality added, you can use Rate US & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I've run a GoPro video through PD - with edits. Then taken that video and in the GoPro and Dashware programs both didn't find any meta data info on the edited clip. So... I then reversed my actions; taking the origional GoPro clip and running it through the GoPro Program to add the gauges from the Meta data to the video, then that processed video into PD and made my edits. So ther was meta data in the origional clip.

IF PD doesn't remove anything, then it comes down the the GoPro program not recognizing something from the PD processed video I'd guess.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote IF PD doesn't remove anything, then it comes down the the GoPro program not recognizing something from the PD processed video I'd guess.

Maybe I'm not explaining the situation well, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

When PD produces a video, that is a completely new clip and doesn't have any trace of the GoPro clips metadata. There's no exposure, location, f-stop, shutter speed, anything when PD is the "created by" app, so there's nothing for other apps to find. That's why you have to do all your processing of the original clip before bringing it in to PD for editing.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Dodlestonian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2019 16:05 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm still waiting for the ability to edit VR 180 clips.
Very surprised that cyberlink haven't yet woken up to this very exciting format :-/
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe I'm not explaining the situation well, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

When PD produces a video, that is a completely new clip and doesn't have any trace of the GoPro clips metadata. There's no exposure, location, f-stop, shutter speed, anything when PD is the "created by" app, so there's nothing for other apps to find. That's why you have to do all your processing of the original clip before bringing it in to PD for editing.

Thanks, I misunderstood your first response. We're on the same page! Thanks!
BKatay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2015 04:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm still waiting for the ability to edit VR 180 clips.
Very surprised that cyberlink haven't yet woken up to this very exciting format :-/

I'm looking forward to VR 180 support too
JoeO [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2015 10:52 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
GoPro changed the way they save GPS data with the HERO8 camera, apparently to try to force users to use its smartphone-only app to access the GPS data natively in the editor. One can extract the telemtry data from the video file, but it seems that all the tools that do so start around $50. I suggest that GoPro's marketing-oriented engineering is the root cause here.

P.S. Now that Motorola has released a phone with healthy stabilization, perhaps we will have better functionality than GoPro offers, soon.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I've run a GoPro video through PD - with edits. Then taken that video and in the GoPro and Dashware programs both didn't find any meta data info on the edited clip. So... I then reversed my actions; taking the origional GoPro clip and running it through the GoPro Program to add the gauges from the Meta data to the video, then that processed video into PD and made my edits. So ther was meta data in the origional clip.

IF PD doesn't remove anything, then it comes down the the GoPro program not recognizing something from the PD processed video I'd guess.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2022 15:55

RC to the Maxx!
ldskater [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2023 04:47 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm curious if this feature of adding Garmin Cycling Computer data to the video similar to the way the Garmin Virb Edit software does has been added to PowerDirector 365?