Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 18 opens maybe 50% of the time, I have to reboot to get it to open...any suggestions?
Rye [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 07, 2020 23:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have only had the software for a couple days now, but whenever I click on the icon on the desktop, it's a 50/50 if the software will open. If I reboot my computer, it will open right away IF I open it. If I wait a while, it won't open. So far everything else has been running great, but clearly something is preventing me from accessing it all the time.

Thank you

Dave
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
107 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2020 19:09

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

read this Read Me Before Posting - Suggestions to Get the Best Results . forum members need at least DxDiag.txt file to help you.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Rye [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote welcome to the forum.

read this Read Me Before Posting - Suggestions to Get the Best Results . forum members need at least DxDiag.txt file to help you.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

I have ammended my post...thank you!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have ammended my post...thank you!

Thanks for posting the results. Your AMD Radeon driver is up to date, and I see that you're still running the Oct 2018 version of Win10 (Build 17763). That shouldn't cause PD to crash, but there's a chance that it's related to the underlying problem(s).

The easiest way to see if the issue is with PD itself or your current project is to start PD without loading any project. You may have to turn off that option under Preferences | Project.

Once you can launch PD cleanly, see if the problem comes back if you keep opening and closing it. Please make sure you wait a few seconds in between each attempt. Next, try opening up a different project and see if PD crashes, or if it only seems to happen with your current one.

If the issue seems to be with PD, try uninstalling it and then reinstall. You can keep your personal settings if prompted. If the issue looks more like it's related to your current project, see if there are any copies in the AutoSave folder that you can edit normally:

Back to my comment about the older version of Windows, the 10 most recent crashes are listed at the end of the report, and they're spread across several different programs/apps.

Generally speaking, when more than one app (or kind of app) crashes, that can be an indication that something's amiss with Windows core files, and this post details the two easiest and most effective tools (in bold type) to detect and repair these kinds of issues. You'll also need to do this before updating if you decide to get Windows up to date (Build 18363).

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Rye [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for posting the results. Your AMD Radeon driver is up to date, and I see that you're still running the Oct 2018 version of Win10 (Build 17763). That shouldn't cause PD to crash, but there's a chance that it's related to the underlying problem(s).

The easiest way to see if the issue is with PD itself or your current project is to start PD without loading any project. You may have to turn off that option under Preferences | Project.

Once you can launch PD cleanly, see if the problem comes back if you keep opening and closing it. Please make sure you wait a few seconds in between each attempt. Next, try opening up a different project and see if PD crashes, or if it only seems to happen with your current one.

If the issue seems to be with PD, try uninstalling it and then reinstall. You can keep your personal settings if prompted. If the issue looks more like it's related to your current project, see if there are any copies in the AutoSave folder that you can edit normally:

Back to my comment about the older version of Windows, the 10 most recent crashes are listed at the end of the report, and they're spread across several different programs/apps.

Generally speaking, when more than one app (or kind of app) crashes, that can be an indication that something's amiss with Windows core files, and this post details the two easiest and most effective tools (in bold type) to detect and repair these kinds of issues. You'll also need to do this before updating if you decide to get Windows up to date (Build 18363).

Thank you for your wonderfully detailed response, I'll check on updating my Windows! I do think that I may have explained myself wrong. I have had no issue with crashes at all. My issue comes from being able to launch the application to begin with. Say I'm working on my computer for a half an hour, and I decide to open PD, I'll click on the desktop icon and nothing will happen. I can click it a million times and nothing will happen. If I reboot my computer, then usually I can open the program. So my issue isn't with crashing (it runs wonderfully when I'm in the program), it's that half the top the program won't launch...

Thanks for your time!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The program is likely still running.
If you have shadow files enabled shut them off and see if the problem persists.
You can also kill the process in task manager if you can find it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Rye [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The program is likely still running.
If you have shadow files enabled shut them off and see if the problem persists.
You can also kill the process in task manager if you can find it.

I checked task manager the first time it happened, but it did not appear the program was running, because that was my initial thought too...I will most certainly check the shadow files though, because I know that I do have those on.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if that's the cure.