Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink PhotoDirector Downloader through Proxy Server
Robin (Gashy) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2009 03:47 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I have been trying to download update for PhotoDirector 9 and the downloader fails with a "Check your internet connection and firewall settings"

I am behind a proxy server but dont seem to see any place to enter the proxy server details for the downloader. Even tried using Cyberlink Applicaiton Manager, but it doesnt seem to have any proxy settings eitehr.

I am on Windows 10 and though it may pick up the proxy settings via the connection settings in IE.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure if it's a proxy settings issue or maybe a server issue on Cyberlink's end. Can you try downloading the PhD9 build 3215 patch directly?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Robin (Gashy) [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure if it's a proxy settings issue or maybe a server issue on Cyberlink's end. Can you try downloading the PhD9 build 3215 patch directly?

Thanks for the reply but that patch is for Mac it seems.

I was trying to download the PhotoDirector 11 as I beleive this is the option that is given from within PhotoDirector to upgrade.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the reply but that patch is for Mac it seems.

No, that's just the most recent patch, You have to click on the +Read More button to get to the Windows version I mentioned.

Quote I was trying to download the PhotoDirector 11 as I beleive this is the option that is given from within PhotoDirector to upgrade.

So were you able to download the trial PhD11 installer from here? If so, did it install but was then unable to connect to download the actual app?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Robin (Gashy) [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the reply but that patch is for Mac it seems.

No, that's just the most recent patch, You have to click on the +Read More button to get to the Windows version I mentioned.

So were you able to download the trial PhD11 installer from here? If so, did it install but was then unable to connect to download the actual app?

Yes I am able to download the installer. I may not have been clear but it is the installer that is giving the message above about an internet connection issue. There doesn't seem to be any options to set proxy settings for the installer that is obvious. Any ideas?

thanks
optodata
[Post New]
You'd mentioned you were trying to update PhD9 and the App Manager couldn't connect, but it wan't clear that you were trying to upgrade to Phd11. You're correct that there aren't any proxy settings for the App Manager, but I can't say for certain if it's using a standard access to IE (which is configured to use the proxy) or is trying to establish a direct connection on its own.

One thing you can check is to open Window Task Manager, Click on the Performance tab and then at the bottom, click on Open Resource Monitor. Once that's open, expand the Network panel and launch the App Manager. You should see activity like this:

If you're only seeing activity in the Send column, it might be because it can't access the outside world through the proxy. Is there any way you can bypass that temporarily, or maybe use your phone as a mobile hotspot?

When I use a paid VPN, the App Manager takes longer to populate but it still works correctly:

YouTube/optodata

Robin (Gashy) [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply, it would appear that the application manager isnt getting past my proxy server. I think AppManager is perhaps trying to use IE settings but doesnt use the proxy connection settings.

I can run AppManager on the internet side on the actual proxy server and it connects to the cyberlink site. Problem is though AppManager checks for cyberlink products installed on the PC that the AppManager runs and doesnt alllow you to download installation packages for the upgrade. Because I dont have powerdirector on my proxy machine the AppManager doesnt see what I have installed already on my inrternal PC that has the software installed.

Do find it strange that AppManager or downloader exe within applications doesnt allow for proxy settings, not sure what businesses do that have internal networks with firewalls and proxy servers.

I have installed the Power... products previously has things changed or is this just an updater issue.

Is there a site to obtain the actuall installation files rather than through a downloader.

Thanks, hope this makes sense.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Is there a site to obtain the actuall installation files rather than through a downloader.

You'd have to contact CL tech support with that request. You may also want to include a link to this forum thread in your description of the problem so they can see the entire discussion so far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2020 00:34

YouTube/optodata

Robin (Gashy) [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your efforts, I have now logged a ticket with them to see if they can assist.
garryweil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2020 12:39 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for your efforts, I have now logged a ticket with them to see if they can assist.

Did you ever get this resolved? I too need access through a proxy server.
optodata
[Post New]
You may need to contact tech support directly as the problem will likely be specific to your PC/VPN.

I just tried VPN endpoints in Australia, Asia, North America and Europe and I was able to download new content from the App Manager from all of them, just slower than from a standard connection.