Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
65min BluRay plays as iso and thro' Power DVD, but not on TV
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

As a very long term user of Power Director, I was begining to feel that I knew most of the answers to the usual problems that users experience, but I have currently hit a wall! In recent years, I have travelled the world, and have developed a tried & tested formula of producing movies of the journeys, as 'personal memory stimulators'. My efforts are normally about 45-55 minutes in length, made up of hi-def video/still and GoPro movie content - including Google maps, route, music (edited to fit), menu and a line of text explaining the visuals.

After several week's work, I make two iso files and after a final check, burn a DVD and a BluRay at the highest quality on offer from PD (on Power2Go). My latest, the longest yet - at 65 minutes is giving me the level of grief that only PD users know, when things go pear-shaped.

Both DVD and Hi Def isos play on the computer, and the DVD plays on my Sony BluRay player as normal. The Hi Def iso plays on the computer, but the 'hard' disc will not play on the BR player - picture freezing every 10-15 seconds whilst the music sountrack plays on. I have tried reducing the HiDef quality on burning the iso and also copying the project to a fresh timeline without yet being able to watch the 'Majestic Mekong' on our big screen.

The only thing I haven't tried is splitting the 12.8GB project into two parts/BluRay discs. i.e. Maybe the BluRay player cannot handle the size, as it is 7 minutes longer than anything I have produced before. That will be my next job!

Any ideas will be gratefully recieved, before I pull out what little hair I have left.

Keith

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 07. 2020 14:08

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
For a possible clue, post the MediaInfo of two files, one your movie and a two a menu video file from the BDMV folder on the BD.

Jeff
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote For a possible clue, post the MediaInfo of two files, one your movie and a two a menu video file from the BDMV folder on the BD.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I'm very grateful for your input, but having opened the BluRay iso file, I see only BDMV & Certificate folders. Opening the BDMV doesn't give me a 'menu video' file, and the Certificate one is empty. Also, I cannot locate the 'movie' media info.

Maybe you could help me further by indicating where I can find the two files you requested?

I have no issue with Power Director, as it clearly has done what was expected of it. The question really relates to my experience of not being able to play the Blu Ray disc on our Sony player, noting that it has always worked perfectly thus far.

Cheers
Keith
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Rather than the iso, you say you burned a BD, I was asking for the files from the BD as that's what you are trying to play in your Sony BD player. The two files are in \BDMV\STREAM\ and will look like 00000.m2ts, 00001.m2ts.....so on depending what type of menu and such you selected. Play the files to find your main content and a menu content file. 00000.m2ts will be one of your main videos.

Jeff
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Rather than the iso, you say you burned a BD, I was asking for the files from the BD as that's what you are trying to play in your Sony BD player. The two files are in \BDMV\STREAM\ and will look like 00000.m2ts, 00001.m2ts.....so on depending what type of menu and such you selected. Play the files to find your main content and a menu content file. 00000.m2ts will be one of your main videos.

Jeff

Sorry for me misunderstanding you, and thanks again for following up.

I found the files, but the main film one, 00000m2ts is 13,244,484KB in size, and looks as if would take several hours to upload. The Root menu one 00002.m2ts is 12KM.

Do you still want me to send them?

Keith
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry for me misunderstanding you, and thanks again for following up.

I found the files, but the main film one, 00000m2ts is 13,244,484KB in size, and looks as if would take several hours to upload. The Root menu one 00002.m2ts is 12KM.

Do you still want me to send them?

Keith

I only asked for the MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) of the files so one could see how they were encoded. The reason I ask is multifold:
1) Some BD players have trouble when the menu and major title are different fps
2) Some BD players have trouble when the major title is encoded in 60p, 28Mbps vs more standard 24Mbps
3) Some BD players have trouble with H.264 encoding, if so, maybe MPEG2 would work

I've attached a MediaInfo example of a 00000.m2ts file I just created, this is the info I am looking for.

This forum can't support large attachments, the info I'm after to try and help you is very small in size.

Jeff
 Filename
example.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]

I only asked for the MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) of the files so one could see how they were encoded. The reason I ask is multifold:
1) Some BD players have trouble when the menu and major title are different fps
2) Some BD players have trouble when the major title is encoded in 60p, 28Mbps vs more standard 24Mbps
3) Some BD players have trouble with H.264 encoding, if so, maybe MPEG2 would work

I've attached a MediaInfo example of a 00000.m2ts file I just created, this is the info I am looking for.

This forum can't support large attachments, the info I'm after to try and help you is very small in size.

Jeff

Thanks again for you patience and you willingness to help. I was not aware of the Mediainfo prog. which accounted for my vagueness. I hope the att. files might help find a solution.

I have just burnt the file/disc again with Hardware Acc. ticked in the 'Preferences' but once again, it plays on the computer but not on the TV. I'll try MPEG 2, although the H.264 has always worked in the past.

Keith
 Filename
Keiths Mediainfo for Mekong BluRay 00000.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Hopefully this is the main movie
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)
 Filename
Keiths Mediainfo for Mekong BluRay 00002.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Hopefully this is the root menu
 Filesize
561 bytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks again for you patience and you willingness to help. I was not aware of the Mediainfo prog. which accounted for my vagueness. I hope the att. files might help find a solution.

I have just burnt the file/disc again with Hardware Acc. ticked in the 'Preferences' but once again, it plays on the computer but not on the TV. I'll try MPEG 2, although the H.264 has always worked in the past.

Keith

Thanks for the files, I got enough to at least see the specs of the main movie which could indicate the issue. It was encoded at 50p 28Mbps, that can cause lots of BD players to skip.
A few pertinent lines from your MediaInfo file:
Overall bit rate : 27.9 Mb/s
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Scan type : Progressive

It can occur because you selected "HD 1920x1080/50p (28Mbps)" or in some cases "Smart Fit" in the "Select the video encoding format and quality" dialog boxes of the "2D Disc" tab in the "Create Disc" module. I'd try using the "HD 1920x1080/50i (24Mbps)" setting and see if that created disc plays back correctly.

Your menu was probably in 00001.m2ts and not the 00002.m2ts file of which you provided the specs. You can simply play these files on your computer to properly identify. I have to guess as I don't know how many titles you have in your PD BD project or your menu structure.

Additionally, you could find the specs of 00000.m2ts of a disc you created and works correctly and see what they are. I'm guessing:
Overall bit rate : 25.1 Mb/s
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First

The "HD 1920x1080/50i (24Mbps)" settings I suggested will encode in the above specs.

Jeff
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the files, I got enough to at least see the specs of the main movie which could indicate the issue. It was encoded at 50p 28Mbps, that can cause lots of BD players to skip.
A few pertinent lines from your MediaInfo file:
Overall bit rate : 27.9 Mb/s
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Scan type : Progressive

It can occur because you selected "HD 1920x1080/50p (28Mbps)" or in some cases "Smart Fit" in the "Select the video encoding format and quality" dialog boxes of the "2D Disc" tab in the "Create Disc" module. I'd try using the "HD 1920x1080/50i (24Mbps)" setting and see if that created disc plays back correctly.

Your menu was probably in 00001.m2ts and not the 00002.m2ts file of which you provided the specs. You can simply play these files on your computer to properly identify. I have to guess as I don't know how many titles you have in your PD BD project or your menu structure.

Additionally, you could find the specs of 00000.m2ts of a disc you created and works correctly and see what they are. I'm guessing:
Overall bit rate : 25.1 Mb/s
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First

The "HD 1920x1080/50i (24Mbps)" settings I suggested will encode in the above specs.

Jeff

Your detailed analysis has been very useful. I had already tried burning at the 1920x1080/50i but it still wouldn't play on the TV. I cannot really understand why this disc has given me so much angst as the parameters and choices were the same (I believe) as I have used on numerous discs that I have burnt over many years.

However, having just tried the MPEG2 1920x1080/24p option, to my delight, have found that the disc now does play on the TV. This suggests that, on this particular project the H.624 option was the culprit - but I've used it dozens of times before! Any ideas?

Once again, many thanks. I guess you are currently housebound, due to the Covid-19 virus - as we are.

Keep well.

Keith