Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there a way to make cropped preview larger
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 115 Offline
[Post New]
When I crop a video the window showing what it looks like after cropping is too small for me to clearly see what I'm doing. Is there a way to get a bigger preview window size. Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You could undock the preview screen and expand it to full screen temporarily. You could also resize the preview screen by placing the mouse cursor between the media library and preview screen border until you see a double headed arrow. You can then click and drag to the left and release. Do the same with the border between the preview screen and the timeline tracks.

If you watch the Sharper Turtle videos on YouTube then you will see that Jim does this resizeing effortlessly to show the library area, preview screen, and timeline tracks. These are good examples of resizing PD17 components on the fly..
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You could undock the preview screen and expand it to full screen temporarily. You could also resize the preview screen by placing the mouse cursor between the media library and preview screen border until you see a double headed arrow. You can then click and drag to the left and release. Do the same with the border between the preview screen and the timeline tracks.

If you watch the Sharper Turtle videos on YouTube then you will see that Jim does this resizeing effortlessly to show the library area, preview screen, and timeline tracks. These are good examples of resizing PD17 components on the fly..

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible we're not talking about the same thing? If you crop a video you get the large preview screen and, on the right, the tiny preview of how it looks after you've cropped it. That's what I am asking about.
I would show a screenshot I made but in the area "insert/edit image" it doesn't allow access to files on my PC. It's worded like "inserk link" It has the message:
"The provided URL must have the HTTPS protocol to use this feature"
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would show a screenshot I made but in the area "insert/edit image" it doesn't allow access to files on my PC.

That's correct. You can upload your screenshot to an image sharing website like Imgur and paste the link to the hosted pic in the image box; or you can save the screenshot as a JPG/PNG on your PC and than use the Attachments button under the forum text box:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible we're not talking about the same thing? If you crop a video you get the large preview screen and, on the right, the tiny preview of how it looks after you've cropped it. That's what I am asking about.
I would show a screenshot I made but in the area "insert/edit image" it doesn't allow access to files on my PC. It's worded like "inserk link" It has the message:
"The provided URL must have the HTTPS protocol to use this feature"

This is what I'm talking about. That tiny little window on the right.
[Thumb - crop preview.jpg]
 Filename
crop preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's correct. You can upload your screenshot to an image sharing website like Imgur and paste the link to the hosted pic in the image box; or you can save the screenshot as a JPG/PNG on your PC and than use the Attachments button under the forum text box:

Thanks! The top has the chain looking thing which is often the sign for attachments, then the picture upload which looks like where you add images on other forums but I hadn't noticed the box below.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The "chain" (link) icon is for embedding content posted on image sharing sites, like Imgur.

As for the Crop/Zoom/Pan window, unfortunately the preview window size remains fixed no matter how big the size of the tool window

I sometimes find it easier to work with when the window is the default size because there's a smaller difference between the active and preview window sizes.

When higher positioning accuracy is required, I use the full size window and rely on the active frame for precise positioning. I pretty much ignore the preview except for checking for black edges when the content window ends up offscreen during motion arcs. They're surprisinly easy to see even in that small view.

I agree that it would be nice to have some control over the preview window size, and that's something you can bring to Cyberlink's attention by using File | Rate US & Provide Suggestions

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The "chain" (link) icon is for embedding content posted on image sharing sites, like Imgur.

As for the Crop/Zoom/Pan window, unfortunately the preview window size remains fixed no matter how big the size of the tool window

I sometimes find it easier to work with when the window is the default size because there's a smaller difference between the active and preview window sizes.

When higher positioning accuracy is required, I use the full size window and rely on the active frame for precise positioning. I pretty much ignore the preview except for checking for black edges when the content window ends up offscreen during motion arcs. They're surprisinly easy to see even in that small view.

I agree that it would be nice to have some control over the preview window size, and that's something you can bring to Cyberlink's attention by using File | Rate US & Provide Suggestions

So are you saying you just estimate it in the crop area, click OK and then look at it after? Many times I haven't been able to make heads or tails out of that little crop preview especially if I'm rotating the video. Completely disorienting then. Thanks.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote So are you saying you just estimate it in the crop area, click OK and then look at it after?

No, I'm saying I use the full-size window to check how the preview looks in general, and I rely on the tiny window to help me see when the window border runs off the edge during playback, which happens a lot if you've zoomed in and are trying to keep a moving object centered:

YouTube/optodata

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. I see what you're saying but that tiny window is a problem for me especially because I often hang a camera upside down on chain link fences for some sporting events. To try to figure out what I'm looking at after flipping the image and trying to crop is nearly impossible to get my bearings. I hope there is a solution. Thanks.

No, I'm saying I use the full-size window to check how the preview looks in general, and I rely on the tiny window to help me see when the window border runs off the edge during playback, which happens a lot if you've zoomed in and are trying to keep a moving object centered:

optodata
[Post New]
Quote To try to figure out what I'm looking at after flipping the image and trying to crop is nearly impossible to get my bearings. I hope there is a solution.

Unfortunately there's no solution unless you let Cyberlink know that you want a larger preview window and they decide to do that in a future release.

If I were you, the first thing I'd do with upside-down clips would be to flip them and produce new versions.

If you use the Best Matched Format tool, you should be able to keep the full quality of the orginal and the new clip will take much fewer processing resources to edit. You'll also save some brain cells by working with the correct orientation

YouTube/optodata