Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overwriting without losing audio sync
JimPerry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2018 18:11 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PD 14 Full Feature Editor

I am producing interviews of race car drivers, and wish to insert (actually overwrite) 10 second still images into the interview without messing up the sync of the interview video with the audio. I.e. when the still image is gone and the video continues with the people doing the interview after the insertions I want the video of their lips to be in sync with the audio. That has not worked for me. Each time I do it there seems to be a very obvious shift in the audio and the longer the duration of the still the worse the synchronization.

1) How do I accomplish this?

2) Is it possible to add a transition (in and out) to the still image that I wish to insert? It seems that when I did that it exasperated the audio sync issue.

3) I would also like to add (overwrite) some video to the primarry video in my timeline. That video would have it's own audio that I would like to NOT have included, or said another way, I would like to have the interview audio go on "under" the overwritten audio. Can you tell me how to do that?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The easiest way to do items 1 and 3 is to place the "overwriting" clip on a lower track at the desired location. That way, you won't affect any of the existing content as PD will simply place the new clip's content "in front of" the main track. You're also free to move the new clip and/or change its duration freely without messing up the timing of your main clip.

If the new clip is video (your #3) and you don't want to add the new audio to your project, simply right click on the new clip and choose Mute Clip, or uncheck the speaker box at the far left end of that track to disable the audio for all clips on that track at once.

For item 2, you can often drag the desired transition straight onto the leading and trailing ends of the new clip, but sometimes you will get unsatisfactory results because many transitions are meant to be applied directly across two clips. Depending on the specific transition, the movement can seem jerky/abrupt, or you might see unexpected dark or bright flashes when they're applied to the ends of an isolated clip.

To avoid that, most people use keyframes to set the opacity level on the new clip to 0 at the start and end with 100 in the middle. Generally you'd want between 0.5 and 2 seconds of ramping time between invisible and fully present.

I saw that you had trouble with tutorials in another post. I'm not sure where you were trying to watch them, but there are many available on YouTube, at the Cyberlink Learning Center, and here on the forum if you simply search for tutorial.

Note that some tutorials are for newer versions that have features not available in PD14, but the basics are pretty much the same in all versions. Good Luck!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 27. 2020 23:11

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JimPerry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2018 18:11 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Optodata, this is much appreciated. Thank you.