Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
audio waveform does not show in timeline mode - PD17
BluesMatt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2017 06:18 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Within the last few months, I finally got around to installing PD17 which I purchased as an upgrade to PD15. Now, I am editing a PD17 project and the audio waveforms are not being displayed in the timeline mode. This is very annoying because I have always used the audio waveform when deciding where to trim the video.

I can see there is a checkbox in Preferences / General which is checked and should display the audio waveforms in the timeline. The audio is part of my mp4 files captured by my smartphone.

What's interesting is that mp3 waveforms seem to display with no issue.

With PD15, I have never had this issue.

I checked for a software update and there are no patches listed.

In a very quick search on this forum, I read a lengthy post where another user had a similiar issue. In his case, it seemed the only fix was to upgrade to PD18. Is that still true or is there a patch I can download?

Please help. Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry that you didn't notice the explicit steps in that lengthy thread that explained how to get the audio waveforms to appear in all versions of PD, even versions that never got a patch. The three required steps are in this key post.

Also, PD17 was patched to resolve the issue, so first take a look at which version of PD17 you currently have, then see if you need to update to v3005 from this page. At the end of that long thread, the OP said he couldn't update his copy of PD17 to that patch and he had to buy a new version.

I don't know why that was the case, but if you have trouble installing the update, please post the exact version and SR number (which stands for software release, not serial #) or contact Cyberlink tech support for more assistance

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply optodata.

I am running PD 17.0.3005.0
Ultimate
SR# VDE19053-02

I upgraded from PD15. I never had this issue with PD15 so this is a new program bug as a result of PD17.

So it seems my installation of 17.0.3005.0 still has the bug. I do not see any other patch to try.

I feel (and I think others agree) that the workaround described should not be necessary. This is a software bug that needs to be properly fixed either by patch or upgrade.

It looks like the PD17 patch is quite old (July 8, 2019). Does anyone know if CyberLink intends to release another patch to fix this problem? And if so, when?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As this is a forum for volunteers, we don't have any insight to what CL may or may not do. I can assure you that the issue predates PD15, and it took a lot of coordinated effort here on the forum to finally glean enough details of what triggered the event to allow CL to finally address it in PD17.

That's not to say that there can't be any other problems with PD creating a waveform, only that the main causes have been found. Note that there were at least 2 prior updates that resolved other instances of this, but it took years to root out the biggest underlying cause.

If you're still having the issue with PD17.0.3005, the best thing I can suggest would be to contact CL tech support here and provide them with the specific clips you're seeing the issue with. As long as they can duplicate the issue on their test system, they should be able to correct the issue.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply once again.

Yes, I did fill out the tech support form on their website. Any idea how long it might be before they respond?

What's really strange to me is that I NEVER saw this problem in PD15, NEVER. Only after upgrading to PD17 did I see it and then subsequently discovered others have had the same issue.

I really don't want to but I'm considering moving back to PD15 for my future projects. I hate to do that since I spent the money on the upgrade (video creation is a hobby for me, not an occupation).
optodata
[Post New]
I'm glad you filled out the support form. In the past, some issues have been documented, analyzed and addressed with a hotfix (a special patch only for affected users) in a week or two, but most others are rolled into the next update which can be months away. Adding to that is that new PD versions come out around September, and generally only the most recent 2 versions get any updates. For example, PD16 is unlikely to see another patch, but PD17 still could.

The other thing to be aware of is that projects that are created (or even edited and saved) in a newer version of the editor cannot be opened in an older version. Any projects that were created in PD15 can be worked on in PD17, but if you save any changes while working in PD17, PD15 will no longer be able to open that project.

So, if you've created new projects, you're stuck with PD17 and using the workaround until CL issues an update, or if you decide to get PD18/365.

Note that the workaround only needs to be done one time for any affected project. From that point on, the waveforms should always be visible. While the workaround does require a few extra steps for a problem that "shouldn't" be there, it's better than not being able to do anything at all.

YouTube/optodata

BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I figured that PD17 projects cannot be edited in PD15. What I meant was starting brand new projects in PD15 (to avoid the waveform problem).

It is HIGHLY unlikely that I will be spending any more money to upgrade to PD18/365 simply to resolve a bug in CL's code that should have been addressed for ALL of their customers. Taking care of the customers, I think, makes good business sense (even if it means they need to agree to upgrade people for free to eliminate the problem).

I totally understand that older versions will not get any additional updates/patches. And by "updates/patches" I mean updates that ADD new features or ENHANCE all ready working features. In this case, this is a bug, plain and simple. It needs to be fixed for the customer because the customer's expectations is that the application will function correctly. In this case, the application does not function correctly, therefore CL needs to make it right for the customer in whatever manner they deem the most efficient (new patch or free upgrade).

I truely hope that CL does the right thing here. Up until this point, I have enjoyed using PD to edit the videos I post to my YouTube channel. I started with the trial version (that I found out about from an ad in the box for the external USB DVD drive I bought for my laptop). Within 1 hour of using the trial version, I bought PD15 online and starting learning/editing/posting. I upgraded to PD17 as a result of special pricing.

I prefer having the appication local on my hard drive rather than in the cloud. I don't like the idea of being totally dependent on my cable company's internet connection in order to work on my projects. Maybe I don't know enough about 365, but I'm assumming to use it you have to be online.

Here's hoping CL does the right thing.
optodata
[Post New]
I understand, and I was simply laying out the big picture with regard to compatibility and the likelihood of patches.

With regard to the subscription version, I'm afraid you've misunderstood how it works. There is no cloud based anything, other than the completely optional Cyberlink cloud for storing videos and projects that's been around at least since PD13. You can see the options for utilizing it under the File menu.

All your files and projects are stored locally on your hard drives/SSDs, just like in the perpetual license versions you're used to, and the only time you need to connect to the internet is to initially download the content and once every 30 days for the app to verify that your subscription is active.

YouTube/optodata

BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, yes, I have totally misunderstood 365.

Do you know what happens if you don't connect every 30 days? Sometimes, I will go a month or 2 without doing any editing.

thanks
optodata
[Post New]
There's no reason you have to do anything out of the ordinary.

As far as I can tell, PD only checks for a valid subscription when you launch it, and as long as you have internet access at that moment, everything will work as expected. If the Application Manager is set to run when Wiindows starts (which is the default), it will frequently check for updates and alert you when a patch has been released without ever having to launch PD.

Also, people with PD installed on laptops have been advised to launch PD while they're still at home before a trip so that the next 30 days of use won't require any internet access to use the editor.

That brings up another difference between the perpetual and subscription versions: PD365 subscribers are legally allowed to install the editor on more than one machine, so long as only one machine is used at a time. That's a significant benefit for some people.

YouTube/optodata

BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata:

I did hear back from CL support and they suggested deleting all of the files in the ...\cache\waveforms folder.

When I did this and restarted my PC, when I re-opened my project, the audio waveforms were displayed. I finished the project and then moved onto the next project.

In the next project, once again, after importing the media files, the audio waveforms did not display. So I created the screenshots that support requested plus a Dxdiag file and sent it to them.

I'm waiting to hear back.

This is becomming quite the saga.
BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
As an update:

I have heard back from CL support. They say they have been unable to reproduce the issue on thier test systems. They suggested setting the "auto-cache-clean" setting to the lowest value possible (1 day). Find the setting at PD Preferences > General settings page > Auto delete temporary files every ....

I have changed this setting to 1 day. I also manually deleted the temp files using the "Manually Delete" button found on the same tab.

I then started a brand new project, and so far, the audio waveforms are being displayed in the timeline.

If this info has helped anyone else with the same issue, please post here and share your experience.

Thanks and good luck...........BluesMatt
BluesMatt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's an update hoping it helps someone else out there with the same problem.

I started a new project a few days ago and when I imported the video files, I noticed that once again, the audio waveforms were not being displayed. But I started editing anyway (because I needed to get the project done).

What I discovered is that when I made a small trim on an audio waveform that was not being displayed, after I finished the trim, the trimmed waveform displayed!

I used this process on ALL of the waveforms that were not initially displayed. For ALL of the waveform, once I completed a small trim, ALL of the waveforms instantly displayed.

Hope this helps.
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here's an update hoping it helps someone else out there with the same problem.

I started a new project a few days ago and when I imported the video files, I noticed that once again, the audio waveforms were not being displayed. But I started editing anyway (because I needed to get the project done).

What I discovered is that when I made a small trim on an audio waveform that was not being displayed, after I finished the trim, the trimmed waveform displayed!

I used this process on ALL of the waveforms that were not initially displayed. For ALL of the waveform, once I completed a small trim, ALL of the waveforms instantly displayed.

Hope this helps.
I am interested in your discovery.
But I didn't quite understand how you did it.
Can you explain in detail? Thank you W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17