Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burning DVDs with PowerDirector 18 is making a lot of bad disc.
Johnmcf2
Newbie Location: Arizona City, Arizona Joined: Jul 15, 2018 13:13 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded to PD18 and since I have been getting a lot of bad or failed burns. My solution has been to burn an ISO on my hard drive and then use Power2Go to burn the Iso which I have not had a problem with yet. This leads me to believe that the problem is in PD 18 software. any clues I thought it was my DVD burner and replaced it but get the same problem.

Update: Still getting bad disk but seems to be seasonal and the disc crashes at 32MB with bad master disc on my duplicator. Burning to file then burning file to DVD seems to work. A while back I was trouble shooting this and thought it might be related to the menu part of the DVD but it started working for a few months so I stopped testing. I still suspect it is something to do with the DVD setup relating to menu and DVD data.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2024 22:51

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I upgraded to PD18 and since I have been getting a lot of bad or failed burns.

Describe what is meant by bad burns so that users understand what is happening

1. The authoring and the burn steps complete with a burning successful message.

2. The authoring step completes but you get a failure message near the end of the burn step(99%).

3. Other: Describe what happens.

If it is #1 above but the disc plays on the pc but not on the standalone player then check the burn speed in the Final burn/configure window and see what it is and lower it to half. It is possible that the burn speed in P2Go is set to half that in PD18. Check it and let us know.

You can get some rewritable discs that can be erased and reused to save on making coasters (bad burns).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2020 22:44

Johnmcf2
Newbie Location: Arizona City, Arizona Joined: Jul 15, 2018 13:13 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]

Describe what is meant by bad burns so that users understand what is happening

1. The authoring and the burn steps complete with a burning successful message.

2. The authoring step completes but you get a failure message near the end of the burn step(99%).

3. Other: Describe what happens.

If it is #1 above but the disc plays on the pc but not on the standalone player then check the burn speed in the Final burn/configure window and see what it is and lower it to half. It is possible that the burn speed in P2Go is set to half that in PD18. Check it and let us know.

You can get some rewritable discs that can be erased and reused to save on making coasters (bad burns).

The #1 is, complete burn no errors and disc copier says bad disc and when I put it back into the computer it says it is a bad disc. Does not say why it is bad, just that it is bad. Put them back into the copier that has a scan function and each one stopped at a different place counts before it stopped. but still no code except bad disc.
Checked the speed of the burner in P2Go and PD18 and they are the same. Like I said I have not had any failures on P2Go ISO's nor in making the ISOs.

The Other, #2: when it stops and gives error on screen usually comes when the production is larger than the disc and I try to use the best fit button. Though this also works in the ISOs through P2Go. Do not usually have the problem if the size is smaller than the disc for the quality selected. (EX: 17Mbps verses 24Mbps on bluray) Problem seems to be in the best fit numbers dont seem to translate onto the disc. The ISO's show they should have fit fine with room to spare.

I do have rewritable disc but have not used them for that, I guess because I don't have them in 8.5GB or bluray where most of my productions have been.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 02. 2020 19:50

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
This issue has been reported in the past versions of PD. I experienced it briefly once. Since you are able to use P2Go to burn the created images then it is probably all that one should do. I have noticed that no one else replied. You could say contact Cyberlink technical support and see if they will fix it for you or escalate it to engineering to fix it. It may take days or years to get it fixed for you. You must persue it to see what they say or do.
Jobsworth99 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Sep 16, 2018 12:29 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I came here to find the solution to a similar problem.

I have three DVD productions, created in PD365/18, and burned in small batches as needed (between 2 and 12 copies at a time) on a USB DVD drive connected to my Windows 10 laptop.

I played a sample of the discs on a DVD player to check all was well, which it seemed to be, then went ahead with the batches. Reports started coming back from people who had received them that discs were crashing, so I retrieved some to test.

Sure enough, the ones I checked failed while playing. It's not always the same, but these are the kind of faults I'm seeing:

• Video and audio freeze, after a short while advancing a few frames and freezing again. Soon, it stops altogether, and the remote is unresponsive apart from powering-off the player. This also occurs when playing on the PC/USB drive setup used to burn the disc. I'm using VLC Media Player.

• On the computer, video freezes but audio continues... after a while the video catches up , stutters, and dumps me back to the VLC start screen.

I've invested quite a bit of time and my credibility with a good friend in this project, and I'd hate to see it all wasted. I would really appreciate any thoughts, including whether the ISO route might be worth pursuing.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jobsworth99 - I am seeing that problem right now but for a different reason. I believe that your external optical dvd writer can be overheating. That is why your first copy is okay and the others are not. You can do this to get maximum compatibility:
1. Burn to folder.
2. Use Imgburn with verify setting on to confirm the disc is good.
3. Burn speed needs to be about half the rated speed of the media used or lower.
4. The Iso route is not going to help and you will not know if it is good until you burn to disc and rip it to the hard drive folder to analyze the files to find problems in my opinion.