Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Latop - again
Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I know that this topic has been discussed many times, but I'm trying to get my head arround it again. And to be honest, I' m not getting any wiser reading this forum nor google searches.

I'm looking for a LAPTOP, that will not break my budget (1000-1300$) that will work very well with Cyperlink. Im editing home movies 4K and slideshows for personal use, and would like to have a laptop that might be lowering my current render time, and work responsive on the timeline

Googling the web for "best laptop for video editing" gives many many different opinions.
So best is to ask CyberLink people what they uses with success.

Currently I'm using an old HP Workstation with Xeon processor and the result are desent, but I need to more mobile..

I don't mind getting used gears on ie. ebay

Please have patience with me as I have yet to find the right answer....
Looking for good ideas
thx

rgds
John
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm looking for a LAPTOP, that will not break my budget (1000-1300$) that will work very well with Cyperlink. Im editing home movies 4K and slideshows for personal use, and would like to have a laptop that might be lowering my current render time, and work responsive on the timeline

Let's try something different this time. See this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80133.page and post the DxDiag.txt on your HP Workstation with decent performance. Users here can get a better idea on what you are used to and may suggest a laptop with similar performance that may be within your budget.
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]

Let's try something different this time. See this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80133.page and post the DxDiag.txt on your HP Workstation with decent performance. Users here can get a better idea on what you are used to and may suggest a laptop with similar performance that may be within your budget.

Dxdiag uploaded
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
168 time(s)
[Post New]
If you really, really need a laptop for video editing, get an used one that has a nVidia Quadro video card.

The gaming ones, with a nVidia GTX class of cards are often plagued by incompatibilities with CyberLink software (their Optimus software won't switch to nVidia gaming cards when DP is in use, because... it's not a 3D gaming app).

As always, the GPU is only half of ecuation (encoding part), for actual editing you need raw CPU power. A small i7 quad core won't be as effective as a Xeon desktop CPU. Comparation of capabilities can be done below. Your CPU has a 9126 score, but the Quadro 600 GPU is trully ancient:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1245+V2+%40+3.40GHz&id=1191

The list of laptop systems tops out at about a score of 8200 with a monster of laptop (pricewise):
https://www.pcbenchmarks.net/fastest-laptop.html

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2020 20:55

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for supplying the DxDiag.txt on your present HP workstation. This looks like a 10 year old system that can be the among the best back then. The CPU E3-1245 V2 has a passmark of 9126 The Quadro 600 passmark is 700. Hevc 4k video editing is out of the question.

The Core i7 10710U that you inquired about back 2 months ago is included here in a modern HP Laptop for $449.99: https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619381824&urlLangId=&quantity=1&jumpid=ma_weekly-deals_product-tile_laptops_2_7fq32av-1_hp-laptop---15t . The intel graphics is the latest, assuming that it is comet lake. Hardware hevc decode and encode at 4k 60p. My brief test of the UHD 630 is that hevc 4k 60p encoding is about 40X faster than the cpu encoding. The Intel graphics documentation is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Technology .

If you decide to get this laptop then I would recommend the extra cost FHD Display, 512 GB SSD, and 16 GB ddr4 at a minimum. This is well within your $1000-1300 budget.

Sonic posted earlier so I will not repeat the details he found. There are other options like laptops that use desktop components instead of the optimus technology. You can research them. Sager has them for about $2500 on up. Other options are what Sonic has already suggested.

Edit: I had a chat with a HP rep today and they don't carry a laptop with that cpu. They recommend their omen line for video editing.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2020 22:03

[Post New]
Tomasc analysis is spot-on too... in a nutshell the laptop that costs $1000-1300 has a CPU that is 10% better than OP's 10 yr old desktop CPU.
If he upgrades the Quadro 600 with something like GTX1050 ($60 on eBay) he's back in business.

But back to the laptop request... on eBay I saw a Dell Precision M5530 with Xeon E-2176M (6 core HT, passmark around 13500) and a Quadro P2000 for $1200:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M5530-Laptop-XEON-E-2176M-CPU-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-QUADRO-P2000/164099941636

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2020 08:38

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you really, really need a laptop for video editing, get an used one that has a nVidia Quadro video card.

The gaming ones, with a nVidia GTX class of cards are often plagued by incompatibilities with CyberLink software (their Optimus software won't switch to nVidia gaming cards when DP is in use, because... it's not a 3D gaming app).

I have access to a Dell 7710 with a Quadro M3000M and it has the same incompatibilities you refer too with PD.

If someone really wants a laptop as their prime edit platform, I'd simply suggest that they verify the BIOS can be configured to either use the iGPU or the dGPU and then use accordingly for their specific need. It's the only effective way to get PD to play with either GPU correctly 100% of the time.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2020 19:56

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The i7-9750H cpu in Sonic’s link of top 20 is even better with a passmark of 11580. Went back to the HP website and see that their omen line of gaming laptop has this mobile cpu. This is what the rep recommends. You will only be able the IG UHD Graphics 630 with the optimus technology.
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you really, really need a laptop for video editing, get an used one that has a nVidia Quadro video card.

As always, the GPU is only half of ecuation (encoding part), for actual editing you need raw CPU power. A small i7 quad core won't be as effective as a Xeon desktop CPU. Comparation of capabilities can be done below. Your CPU has a 9126 score, but the Quadro 600 GPU is trully ancient:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1245+V2+%40+3.40GHz&id=1191

The list of laptop systems tops out at about a score of 8200 with a monster of laptop (pricewise):
https://www.pcbenchmarks.net/fastest-laptop.html

I would like to change the Quadro 600, but as fas as I know this is the only Small formfactor Video card that can be installed in this SFF box

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 11. 2020 15:53

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would like to change the Quadro 600, but as fas as I know this is the only Small formfactor Video card that can be installed in this SFF box

Not really viable from the doc's from HP that I've found but that does not mean it won't work. They claim 45W max for all GPU's, you'd violate that at 75W for a GTX 1050. They list a 240W PS, usually 300W recommended for a GTX1050 so marginal but really depends on what else is in the box if it will work or not.

This user went to extreme, https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/872e8p/z220_workstation_gtx_1050/ and claims it works. They used a full height mini length card, hence the case chop. HP manual says it supports a low profile card in the bay. Hard to tell from these pics if a low profile would fit lengthwise, it almost appears to as HP sculpted the aft end of the card region to presumable accommodate. If you want that GPU, make some measurements and if length is there in the case, some GTX1050 low profiles go for $70-80 USA on ebay, if it does not work, maybe simply resell.

But yes, overall, not a box for expansion.

Jeff
[Post New]
I would like to change the Quadro 600, but as fas as I know this is the only Small formfactor Video card that can be installed in this SFF box

That's worse than a laptop
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
There are other options for that SFF workstation. There is a low profile GTX 1050 Dual slot dual fan unit available on Amazon. Better still is the Quadro P600 which uses the GP107 Chip, the same one in the GTX 1050. It has a lower TDP of 40 watts, lower passmark of 3223, and low profile single slot which should fit perfectly in that SFF case: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Quadro+P600&id=3729 . Quadro P600 link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9DWQM6?tag=videocardbenchmark-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 .

The gtx 1050 low profile is available in 2GB and 4GB memory size and cost less. The PC power supply will need to be replaced with a beefier one. For the price of a video card the OP can save say $1000 on a new laptop and have good performance on his SFF pc. Why not….
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are other options for that SFF workstation. There is a low profile GTX 1050 Dual slot dual fan unit available on Amazon. Better still is the Quadro P600 which uses the GP107 Chip, the same one in the GTX 1050. It has a lower TDP of 40 watts, lower passmark of 3223, and low profile single slot which should fit perfectly in that SFF case: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Quadro+P600&id=3729 . Quadro P600 link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9DWQM6?tag=videocardbenchmark-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 .

The gtx 1050 low profile is available in 2GB and 4GB memory size and cost less. The PC power supply will need to be replaced with a beefier one. For the price of a video card the OP can save say $1000 on a new laptop and have good performance on his SFF pc. Why not….

how about this:

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation Model 3541

Processor I7-9850H
Clock Speed2.6 GHz
Max Turbo Speed4.6 GHz
Number of Cores6-core
Cache12 MB

Installed Memory size32 GB (2666 MHz)

NVIDIA Quadro P620
Graphics memory4 GB
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nice. Adding to the base configuratio, came up with $1672 minimum for the added cpu, memory, and their suggestions. You really need to change that 500 GB Hard Drive to a 500 GB ssd and add a second hard drive in my opinion which will also add to the cost. You can get away with less.
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Nice. Adding to the base configuratio, came up with $1672 minimum for the added cpu, memory, and their suggestions. You really need to change that 500 GB Hard Drive to a 500 GB ssd and add a second hard drive in my opinion which will also add to the cost. You can get away with less.

The one I have configured actually has:

Type Hard Drive
SSDStorage Capacity, 512 GB SSD Form FactorM.2
My no second drive, as I have all my data on external drive and NAS'

One Questions: Does the NVIDIA Quadro P620 work ok with PD ?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One Questions: Does the NVIDIA Quadro P620 work ok with PD ?

Yes. It probably won't be used for hardware encoding. I beleive that JL already answered that in the 7th thread in this post.

See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/81554.page#335566 . The OP there beleive an external nvidia gpu can work in video editing but not in hardware encoding. This is different from what the authors of those YouTube videos beleive.
[Post New]
One Questions: Does the NVIDIA Quadro P620 work ok with PD ?

I think it will. My work laptop has a Nvidia Quadro K610M and in NVIDIA Control Panel, in the top, has a field called "Desktop".
Tick the boxes "Enable Video Editing Mode", "Add Dektop Contex Menu", and " Add "Run with graphics processor" to Contex Menu".

Also, in the "Manage 3D settings" you can add a profile for PD to use "High-performance NVIDIA processor" (that's how is listed on my laptop).

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 20. 2020 12:55

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One Questions: Does the NVIDIA Quadro P620 work ok with PD ?

If by "work" you mean will PD launch, yes, more than likely, no real reason it should not. If by "work" you mean you will have Nvidia encoding and decoding, my experience is no you will not.

Additionally, my knowledge from a demonstration of the Dell Precision 3xxxx series they did away with the added circuitry to disable iGPU in BIOS to make a more competitive price point, so that proven option is gone with that model. I'd check with Dell and verify, they also showed that the 7xxxx Series still have it.

The "Run with graphics processor" contextual menu will be there, and allow selection of "High-performance NVIDIA processor”, but PD will simply launch with the iGPU.

But yes, you have a newer processor and the Intel UHD Graphics 630 which may meet your needs. The Quadro P620 is very reasonable for CAD work though.

Jeff
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]

If by "work" you mean will PD launch, yes, more than likely, no real reason it should not. If by "work" you mean you will have Nvidia encoding and decoding, my experience is no you will not.

Additionally, my knowledge from a demonstration of the Dell Precision 3xxxx series they did away with the added circuitry to disable iGPU in BIOS to make a more competitive price point, so that proven option is gone with that model. I'd check with Dell and verify, they also showed that the 7xxxx Series still have it.

The "Run with graphics processor" contextual menu will be there, and allow selection of "High-performance NVIDIA processor”, but PD will simply launch with the iGPU.

But yes, you have a newer processor and the Intel UHD Graphics 630 which may meet your needs. The Quadro P620 is very reasonable for CAD work though.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff.
I do not have any preferences for DELL, I bigh be better looking for another that support GPU
But it a jungle out there, an dI have no idea what to look for :
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you Jeff.
I do not have any preferences for DELL, I bigh be better looking for another that support GPU
But it a jungle out there, an dI have no idea what to look for :

What to look for, as mentioned multiple times, the only really effective way to get PD to play 100% nicely with the dGPU in a dual GPU laptop is to make sure one can turn off the iGPU in BIOS. It's up to you if you really need the dGPU or if the iGPU will meet your needs.

This user found that out too: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64906.page#post_box_295819 and returned one unit for another to get the BIOS option.

Virtually all the lower end laptops will not provide such BIOS feature as it requires additional circuitry. Best to understand what you are purchasing or make sure you have a reasonable return policy.

Jeff