Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
2k YouTube video full of artifacts
Shatnershairpiece [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 22, 2020 20:37 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I used he265 rendering at 30000 bitrate for a 2.7 k (go pro 7) 29 FPS video at 44000 bit rate. It is full of artifacts (sunny day filming) even though it is 13 gigs for 56 minutes. Why does the bitrate setting in 265 only allow 10000-38800? I can't even match my original bitrate? I used quality settings over speed, deblocking on.

The original GoPro file looks great. The rendered pd 18 file is not as good, and the youtube upload is worse. I ride a bike at 10mph and the road detail is totally pixelated. It has lost 2 levels of quality.

I am trying again at 38800, but don't expect much difference from 30000 to 38800. Why is YouTube video full of artifacts? It has fully processed and shows full range of view options from 720-2k.

can youtube not process 2.7 k video properly?

i tried again at full 38800 bit rate and it still looks worse than Original go pro footage. (and this is before uploading to youtube) Blocky, blurry artifacts all over the street as it moves past. Makes it look like I have a smear on my camera lens. Is there no way to match original 2.7 k go pro footage quality? I paid a lot of my money for cyberlink and can't believe it can't process better than this in a brand new top of the line power pc. The only other option to try now is to turn off 'fast video rendering' and wait 7 hours to process an hour long video, which is ridiculous.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 13:06

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a lot of stuff going on here, and unfortunately it looks like you've conflated several details and made some assumptions that aren't necessarily accurate. I'm not saying you haven't had a frustrating experience, only that if we take a look at things individually we may be able to get you a much higher quality better video.

To start, by far the easiest way to get the highest quality video is to use the Profile Analyzer on the Produce page.

PD will analyze your timeline content and will automatically create a custom profile to match the bitrate and other settings as much as possible. Try that first, and maybe even take a screenshot of the profile details so we can see what PD came up with.

Also, you didn't mention which encoding spec your GoPro footage was recorded in, and that may matter a lot.

For example, if you're taking H.264/AVC @ 44Mbps clips and producing to HEVC/H.265 @ ~30Mbps, you've got more than enough bitrate because HEVC is more efficient and more detailed, so it can give you the same quality at a lower bitrate (which also means smaller files size).

If you want more assistance, please upload a short clip from your GoPro to a cloud folder on OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. and paste the link here so forum volunteers can take a look and possibly even suggest additional producing options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 13:37

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Shatnershairpiece

The best option is Produce using SVRT, but unfortunately it is not working as it should in PD18, I have already submitted a complaint for support, they say they are working to solve the problem.
You should consider that all rendering on PD and YouTube almost always makes the video quality a little worse.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 14:11

[Post New]
Okay, will,try this out. How do I know how GoPro 7 recorded my file? I see no indicators when looking at details of the file, other than telling me it's an mp4. I see no setting within GoPro either to find how the file is recorded.

I did do performance optimization and the settings are the same as what I used. The main problem seems to be that even if I get the video to look the same as original, YouTube can't match it. It is severely downgraded.
[Post New]
Quote Shatnershairpiece

The best option is Produce using SVRT, but unfortunately it is not working as it should in PD18, I have already submitted a complaint for support, they say they are working to solve the problem.
You should consider that all rendering on PD and YouTube almost always makes the video quality a little worse.

I can't even choose svrt. It will only allow 'hardware video encoder.'
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
SVRT is a process that doesn’t render the entire video only where there was any editing that needs to add something to the image, text, effects etc ... Everything else is like copying the source video.
You can see the video properties in PD by right clicking on the video and selecting View properties.
Or install MediaInfo to see it in more detail.
https://mediaarea.net/pt/MediaInfo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 15:41

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Okay, will,try this out. How do I know how GoPro 7 recorded my file? I see no indicators when looking at details of the file, other than telling me it's an mp4. I see no setting within GoPro either to find how the file is recorded.

I did do performance optimization and the settings are the same as what I used. The main problem seems to be that even if I get the video to look the same as original, YouTube can't match it. It is severely downgraded.

Since you've run and used the Profile Analyzer and aren't happy with the results, you may want to upload a short clip as I described in my last post so that other people can test it on their systems.

And yes, there is no getting around YouTube's degredation because it has to re-encode all uploaded clips for streaming, and the streaming bit rate is quite a bit lower than than the original and even produced clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 15:31

[Post New]
Here is short clip from original go pro footage.

Gopro 2.7 k sample
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much fo the clip! As you can see from the MediaInfo details, your bit rate is a monstrous 108Mb/s which explains the loss of quality when producing, as PD's standard profiles won't go anywhere near that high:

I was going to make a custom profile and take you through the steps in making one to bump up the bit rate, but then I tried the profile analyzer and got a very different result than you've described.

As you can see, PD's Best Matched Format has matched the bit rate, resolution, codec, etc. After clicking on OK to save the profile, you can see that SVRT is also available, which means there should be zero quality loss when producing all unchanged (non-edited) sections:

As a test, on the timeline I added some text and trimmed the clip to just the first 30 seconds. With the text in place, SVRT was no longer an option (which is normal), however it took only 19 seconds to produce on my machine even though I used my built-in Intel UHD 630 GPU rather than my nVidia RTX2070.

Below are the MediaInfo details of the produced clip, and you can download and play it on your PC from here.

You can also watch it on YT, and make sure you manually select the 1440 HD option if it isn't automatically set to that:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 17:19

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
I had watched the test from above YT link, at 2K, and IMO it looks OK.
There is some blur on certain objects and ghosting on objects that are passig with high speed on sides (but that's to be expected at 30FPS). The YT codec is VP9/Opus.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2020 17:28

[Post New]
Quote I had watched the test from above YT link, at 2K, and IMO it looks OK.
There is some blur on certain objects and ghosting on objects that are passig with high speed on sides (but that's to be expected at 30FPS). The YT codec is VP9/Opus.

Thanks for testing and making a clip but I have made an error or the program did. I split my go pro file using a splitter to make a smaller upload, and looking at the split file now, it is showing bit rate at over 100000. no idea how that happened. The orignal go pro clip is 45000. I will have to reload a complete file from gopro, and the smallest one is 3.7 gigs, standard for gopro file breaks.
optodata
[Post New]
It's important that we're all working with the same clip.

You can make a quick 10-30 second clip with you GoPro with just you walking around, then try that in PD share that if you still need assitance. The clip will be much smaller than 4GB, and it'll be directly from the horse's mouth (so to speak), so there won't be any issues caused by other software.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Here's a full clip. If too big, I will add a smaller one shortly. Thanks!

Full go pro original clip
optodata
[Post New]
I get similar good results when using the Profile Analyzer - identical to the original clip and very quick producing:

Here's the much smaller produced version (because of the lower bit rate). Looks like Vancouver BC

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Quote I get similar good results when using the Profile Analyzer - identical to the original clip and very quick producing:

Here's the much smaller produced version (because of the lower bit rate). Looks like Vancouver BC

yes, Vancouver. So what is the recommended PD codec for youtube? 264 or 265? I tried uploading a 264 version now and waiting for it to process. See if is any different from 265. It seems I have to expect degradation from youtube, especially with fast moving footage.
optodata
[Post New]
Recommended YT settings are here, but in my opinion, what's most important is the amount of time/effort required to produce and upload it.

PD will typically be faster at producing videos with a similar profile to the source clips, and sometimes artifacts and/or jerkiness or judder can be introduced when producing to H.265 from H.264 clips and vice versa. Those artifacts can often be reduced by producing with the CPU rather than by the GPU card hardware, but that will necesarily take longer to create the finished product.

For motion video, higher frame rates are always preferred in my experience, so if you can record at 60fps you'll have better definition and less blur, even if you have to drop down to HD rather than 2.7K.

Try some experiments with your GoPro settings and a few short clips see what the end product looks like on YT. That's the best way I know of to make sure you're getting the highest quality final result.

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Both videos produced by optodata and viewed on YT looks great. They are 11.1 and 9.1 Mbps on vp9 after processing on YT.
[Post New]
I always wondered why YT doesn't recommend uploading directly to their native VP9...

Also, they keep recomending sound to be at 48kHz sample rate, but whe I download the videos, they have the sound at 44.1kHz SR.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2020 08:47

[Post New]
Here is my finished video. This looks far from great to me. The amount of artifacts and blocking In the pavement is much too high. There is none of that in the original video. 264 and 265 versions look the same. Is there no way to clean this up or is this a fact of life with youtube? It can't handle any fast motion. I don't usually film anything moving fast so this is the first time I have really seen how bad it gets.

Maybe I should render the 2.7 k files n 4k?

https://youtu.be/XdtbhQGUoxg

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2020 11:45

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here is my finished video. This looks far from great to me. The amount of artifacts and blocking In the pavement is much too high. There is none of that in the original video. 264 and 265 versions look the same. Is there no way to clean this up or is this a fact of life with youtube? It can't handle any fast motion. I don't usually film anything moving fast so this is the first time I have really seen how bad it gets.

Maybe I should render the 2.7 k files n 4k?
https://youtu.be/XdtbhQGUoxg

The codec at YouTube is designed by engineers for most people. Your 100 Mbps and 45 Mbps bitrate from the GoPro at 29.97 fps is reencoded to 10 Mbps. Attached is a screenshot where the FedEx licence plate at the side of the video is sharp and can be easily read.

I reread your post and see that the blurry artifact pavement is what you are looking at in which I had dismissed because of years of watching digital instead of analog videos. My suggestion would be to create progressive avchd discs or UHD BD to distribute. They will have the higher bitrates.

A good alternative would be to use Vimeo. They do store the originals for viewing and downloads.
[Thumb - Shatners.jpg]
 Filename
Shatners.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
FedEx license plate at the side readable at 29.97 fps.
 Filesize
468 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2020 13:29