Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video Overlay
Insane_Diego [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2009 21:00 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I want to be able to overlay a video on top of another. I do not want to BLEND the two. I see how to do that. Instead, this second video should overlay my video and have transparent areas. Basically like the PiP objects. In fact, there is a specific one that might illustrate the point. Polaroid tree. It's an animated video that has holes for the video underneath to show through. What I'm using is much more complex than just a static hole though. It might be something like colored flowers dropping from the top of the frame to the bottom. I want the flowers to be 100% visible and my video behind it, where the flowers aren't, to also be 100% visible.

If I was in Vegas Pro, I'd drop in my overlay and set the Track to Mask mode with an extra setting or two and be done with it. I simply can't find any information that gives me a hint on how to achieve this so any tips are appreciated.

PS. In some cases my overlay may be a grayscale video, in other cases it may be colored with say a black background. I tried the Chroma Key and it sort of worked. I had a black and white clip. If I set the Chroma Key to white then my video showed through everywhere it was white. The only thing I couldn't do was change the black areas to another color. But this was a simple case. So again, I'm probably looking more for some direction than an exact answer. Thanks!
Insane_Diego [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2009 21:00 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I think I've got it going in the right direction now. There is no way to delete a message out here so I'll just reply to it. The way tracks work in PD is just enough different than Vegas Pro to throw me for some loops. It seems like I had mostly an ordering problem. Once I got them in the right order it seemed like things were coming together much better. Sorry you had to read the original topic.
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I think I've got it going in the right direction now. There is no way to delete a message out here so I'll just reply to it. The way tracks work in PD is just enough different than Vegas Pro to throw me for some loops. It seems like I had mostly an ordering problem. Once I got them in the right order it seemed like things were coming together much better. Sorry you had to read the original topic.

FYI, you can reverse the track order of the timeline in editing preferences, if you are used to the main track being on the bottom instead of the top.

Ash Williams
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There is no way to delete a message out here so I'll just reply to it. .... Sorry you had to read the original topic.

You're right about not being able to delete a post, but you can easily go back and edit it by clicking on this button below the desired post:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°