Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 365 is auto brightening my clips, anyone know how to turn it off?
Steve720 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2020 07:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from Power Director 14 to Power Director 365. For some reason it auto brightens my clips and makes them look worse.

14 didnt do this and just imported them as they were. It's driving me nuts. Is there a way to turn this off and just import the clip as it's supposed to be?

Thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Can you provide before and after screenshots?
What are your clips from? Are they the same sources as when you used PD 14?
Perhaps in Preferences you can try various hardware acceleration settings.
Also a dxdiag of your machine, attached. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from Power Director 14 to Power Director 365. For some reason it auto brightens my clips and makes them look worse.

14 didnt do this and just imported them as they were. It's driving me nuts. Is there a way to turn this off and just import the clip as it's supposed to be?

Thanks

PowerDirector doesn't auto brighten clips. I remember this was brought up before, and the person's GPU was doing this when they added clips to the timeline.

Try turning off "Enable hardware decoding" in Hardware Acceleration preferences and see if that cures it.

Ash
Kmcfar2409 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2020 18:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey guys,

Thanks

I have a very similar problem. I upgraded from Power Director 16 to Power Diretor 18. At first, the previews seemed sharper and overall better than Power Director 16, then something happened. Now, when a picture is selected in the timeline, and the view is stationary, the image is good. At all other times when the preview is playing, or when a specific slide is not selected, the picture is very bright, and mostly unusable. I uninstalled all the extra files that came with the program, and reinstalled Power Director 18, and of course rebooted the computer. The previews are atrocious.
I have tried every change I can find in the preferences section. Nothing seems to work. Older videos are equally bad.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Ken
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]

I have a very similar problem. I upgraded from Power Director 16 to Power Diretor 18. At first, the previews seemed sharper and overall better than Power Director 16, then something happened. Now, when a picture is selected in the timeline, and the view is stationary, the image is good. At all other times when the preview is playing, or when a specific slide is not selected, the picture is very bright, and mostly unusable. I uninstalled all the extra files that came with the program, and reinstalled Power Director 18, and of course rebooted the computer. The previews are atrocious.
I have tried every change I can find in the preferences section. Nothing seems to work. Older videos are equally bad.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Ken

You said you tried every preference, but you did not specify if all hardware accleration preferences are turn off. This issue does not happen for the majoirty of users, so it is most likely your GPU that is applying some kind of effect/enhancement. You should also check your GPU driver settings.

If none of this works, contact Cyberlink and provide all the info you can, including your DXDiag file, which you didn't do for us as requested.

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2020 19:42

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There are video settings in both the AMD and Nvidia control panels where you can choose either application default or say the custom settings you made. Some apps may behave differently like in the different versions.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Both your issues may be related, or not.
We need the exact version of PD, a dxdiag, and media samples.
Without those items/information you have no chance of getting help. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Kmcfar2409 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2020 18:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Both your issues may be related, or not.
We need the exact version of PD, a dxdiag, and media samples.
Without those items/information you have no chance of getting help.

I found the solution to my problem was rather trivial, if you know where to look. I changed the YUV display option to RGB under Preferences, display, Timeline preview output colour. It is now back to normal!!!
Many thanks for your input.
Ken
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you kmcfar2409 for the feedback. That option only exist in PD18 and not in any of the previous versions.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Kmcfar2409, really sounds very similar to the problem here https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80801.page#post_box_332621 and maybe has the same underlying issue. At least CL engineering have had the issue for nearly 3 months, maybe someday a fix will be released and that just might correct your issue too.

Jeff