Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD8 run OK with Windows 7, 64 bit?
Mike M [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2008 10:21 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.
PD7 works pretty good on 32 bit XP...
My question is, does Powerdirector 8 support Windows 7 64 bit?
I just built a Core i7 computer with an ATI 4870 video card and 6gigs of ram. I want to use XP Pro for now, and Win 7/64bit later.

Also, is Powerdirector 8 capable of taking advantage of a 64 bit system with 4 cores? With Hyperthreading? More memory?

Will I be better off with 32bit XP? Is Powerdirector 8 Stable with the 64bit version of Win 7?

My new system:
Core i7 920 (Watercooled)
Asus P6T MB
6Gigs Corsair Dominator(1600)
Seagate 1.5TB HD
HIS 4870 Vid Card (1GB)
750W Corsair PSU
XPP 64bit or XPP32bit?

PD7 is pretty good. Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much for the info!!

Mike M
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Mike,

Yes, PD8 runs on Win7 RC7100 64-bit. I'm on an AMD quad core so I can't comment on the hyperthreading. I have 4GB of RAM.

There are some known i7 'issues' with certain HD rendering that appear to be worked around by reducing the core-count (not ideal). But, it is so dependent on your machine hardware, video card, media type, rendering output format, Blue Ray, etc.

Like all video editors, you should test out the trial versions first to see how they behave on your hardware. PD8 is a bit new so, yes, there are a few glitches here and there you'll have to examine for yourself.

One person's showstopper is another man's glitch

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
I would suggest you currently hold off until they correct the i7 issues. I have it with an i7 and right now in its current state its very very crash prone and unstable. I am running a system with windows 7 rc1 64bit edition, 12gigs of ram and a ati 4890 card with the intel core i7 processor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2009 12:11

Mike M [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Josh,

I have been reading of some issues with the i7. like only using two of the four cores, etc.

I'm holding off, currently trying out PD7 on the system. See how that goes. I may end up using a different program. Although, I really like Powerdirector. PD has nice features.

I'll have to wait and see...

Mike
[Post New]
PD7 should be more stable, but you may have issues trying to get the ati streaming technology to work with it. Last time I checked it was not fully functional under the windows 7 environment.
Mike M [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just noticed that I had two replies to my post...
I also want to thank On The Web, for your reply.
Well taken.

Mike M