Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My hard drive filled causing screen recorder to close before the video could be saved.
Ecl1pse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2020 18:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I see an mp4 with 5GB of data but it won't play. Is there any way to recover the data?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2020 19:47

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try this: Delete or move some files from that drive to a different drive to free up some space so a disk utility can repair it by creating a new file of 5 GB in size. Play that file with vlc to determine whether it can be fixed.
Ecl1pse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2020 18:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Try this: Delete or move some files from that drive to a different drive to free up some space so a disk utility can repair it by creating a new file of 5 GB in size. Play that file with vlc to determine whether it can be fixed.

Thank you for a quick response! I did clear space on the drive. I also tried to open the file with vlc and file viewer plus. No luck. I'm not sure how to use a disk utility. Is it automatic or are there steps I need to follow?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Usually a file is complete but the end gets damaged somehow and a disk utility can be used to truncate the bad part. Here is a different method to recover it that may also work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=VEAeitYE24s&feature=emb_logo . Cyberlink support may know still a different method to fix it and give you that information if you contact them for help.