Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 18 Effects
Esmeweatherwax [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2020 07:50 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm an absolute beginner and I am having an issue with the effects. When I drop an effect into the effects track it comes up with only a limited number of options. When I put the effect into the video there are all the options but I don't know how to change the duration of the effect. Shouldn't I get all the effects options either way? Can someone help?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2020 13:41

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I'm an absolute beginner and I am having an issue with the effects. When I drop an effect into the effects track it comes up with only a limited number of options. When I put the effect into the video there are all the options but I don't know how to change the duration of the effect. Shouldn't I get all the effects options either way? Can someone help?

Assume maybe you mean PowerDirector. When the Fx is added on a video it applies for that entire clip duration, you can artificially adjust length by splitting clip or using keyframes to control the effect. The "Effect" button above the timeline allows adjustment of effect options.

When you apply an effect on the Fx track, you can change the effective length of it, some ways, drag, use duration, or keyframes. The "Modify" button above the timeline allows adjustment of effect options.

Jeff
Esmeweatherwax [Avatar]
[Post New]
Assume maybe you mean PowerDirector. When the Fx is added on a video it applies for that entire clip duration, you can artificially adjust length by splitting clip or using keyframes to control the effect. The "Effect" button above the timeline allows adjustment of effect options.

When you apply an effect on the Fx track, you can change the effective length of it, some ways, drag, use duration, or keyframes. The "Modify" button above the timeline allows adjustment of effect options.

Jeff

Hi

Sorry, yes meant PowerDirector. Thanks, just one more question. I started a Udemy course to learn the basics and when the video showed the effects being used the program showed the same range of effects whether you put the effect in the timeline or in the video. When I had a go on mine there were only a few options when I put the effect in the effects track, and the full range when it was in the video. For instance I added lightning to a clip on the effects track I could only change size and position and when I placed it in the video I could change the colour as well. Is there something faulty with the program?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Esmeweatherwax -

Is there something faulty with the program?

I have the same options here, whether Lightning/Lightning 2 is applied directly to the clip or added to the FX track. Is it possible you've inserted a different effect?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Esmeweatherwax [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Esmeweatherwax -

Is there something faulty with the program?

I have the same options here, whether Lightning/Lightning 2 is applied directly to the clip or added to the FX track. Is it possible you've inserted a different effect?

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony

I went back and found that out. Had been expecting the same settings for all the effects and they do seem to be different. Lots to learn!

Thanks for the reply, good to have it confirmed

Es
Richard9909 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 12, 2011 08:19 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I added an effect directly to a clip (not on the "effect" track) and would like to remove the effect. I've looked at tutorials and read lots of posts saying that if I simply select the clip (by left-clicking it) then I will see a button called "Effects" directly above the timeline. That button just does not appear for me. From left to right, I see a Crop icon, a duration icon, then buttons titled "Designer","Fix and Enhance", "Tools", "Slideshow", "Keyframe", "Time Info," a garbage can and a button titled "More Features." I've explored all of these and can't find anything that allows me to delete the effect. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
In the picture above see the list of effects applied to the clip (Lightning being the only one here). By unticking the box, the effect will not longer be in effect. To delete the effect, select the effect to be deleted and click on the minus next to "above" and "below" under the white effect list... It is not so evident, I admit.
Richard9909 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand about clicking the "minus sign" to get rid of the chosen effect. My problem is that I can not find a way to open a window that shows which effects are in use. I have selected the clip containing the effect but no window appears.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I understand about clicking the "minus sign" to get rid of the chosen effect. My problem is that I can not find a way to open a window that shows which effects are in use. I have selected the clip containing the effect but no window appears.

Are you sure it is a Fx and not maybe a Fix / Enhance item? Hoover over the orange "i" at the beginning of the clip in the timeline to see what was applied, post a pic if unsure.

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
If you select the clip, in the bar above the timeline a button effect will appear that opens the effects list and options
Richard9909 [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I hover over the "i" it shows "pan and zoom." That is the effect I applied. Selecting the clip does NOT make an "Effect" button appear. Is it possible that "pan and zoom" is not called an effect? If that's the case, I still want to know how to delete it from the clip.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote When I hover over the "i" it shows "pan and zoom." That is the effect I applied. Selecting the clip does NOT make an "Effect" button appear. Is it possible that "pan and zoom" is not called an effect? If that's the case, I still want to know how to delete it from the clip.

Does it not say like "Power Tools" "Crop/Zoom/Pan"? If so, it's not an Fx but a setting located within the Tools menu above the timeline.

Jeff
Richard9909 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok. We're getting closer. Yes, the "Pan and Zoom" that I placed on the clip DID come from the box titled "Tools" immediately above the timeline. That's where it came from. I now want to delete "Pan and Zoom" from the clip. If I click again on the "Tools" box, I simply get the original 4 choices that were present when I first clicked in order to choose "Pan and Zoom." Namely, the four choices are Power Tools, Blending Effect, Pan and Zoom,and Magic Movie Wizard. I've clicked again on Pan and Zoom to see if I find a way to delete it but I'm only taken back to the large array of Pan and Zoom options I can insert.

Hope this makes sense. So if Pan and Zoom is actually a setting from the Tools menu, how do I delete it without deleting the entire clip?

Thanks for your patience.
Richard9909 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found the answer by searching more posts. The Pan and Zoom feature is associated with Magic Motion. With my clip selected, I went back to the Tools button over the timeline and clicked again on Pan and Zoom. That does bring up a screen filled with various Pan and Zoom varieties. But at the bottom right of the screen are 3 buttons titled Reset, Motion Designer and Apply to All. By clicking on Reset, my Pan and Zoom is removed from the selected clip.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I hopes this helps another user down the road.