Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
RW2 import issues Photodirector 10
PAG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2019 12:22 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Saw earlier references to the problem but didn't see any solutions. Importing RW2 files results in images of nothing but pink noise. The pics display fine in the import preview window, and display temporarily in the apps browser bar. But when the pic finally loads it and the browser image turn to pink noise. (See attached)

Imported a sample RW2 file from the Forum and it loaded fine (displayed in attached).

Converting the RW2 to DNG via Adobe DNG Converter then importing the DNGs works fine.

Only difference I see is the sample image size is 5472 x 3648 whereas the issue files are 6024 x 4016.

PhD10
Windows 10 (current)
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1070

Thoughts?
 Filename
Sample RW2 PH10 issue.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
Sample RW2 import issue
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
414 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello PAG,

If you have installed the most recent patch for PhD10 (2509), there should be no issues with the display of .RW2s from Panasonic cameras.

All the RW2s I've tested here display correctly in PhD10.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Appreciate the quick reply.

Am using PhD version 10.0.2509.0. Windows 10 is current. I can see the sample RW2 file similar the one in your post but can't view my RW2s.

Hmmm...
[Post New]
Agreed. It's a "hmmmm" kind of conundrum.

I can't think of a possible cause for this display issue, given that we're testing on up-to-date versions of PhD10.

To confirm, or possibly clarify, the issue could you please download this .zip file containing 6 .jfif (.jpg) & .RW2 files from 3 different Panasonic cameras? After unzipping & importing them into a new project in PhD10 (2509).

The RW2s above all display correctly here, shown in the attached screenshots.

Short of a complete uninstall/re-install of PhD10, I cannot think of a way forward with this. We may need to consult Tech Support.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
The "attached" screenshots failed to load after three attempts, so here they are:

PhD10 Pansonic FZ100
PhD10 Panasonic G9
PhD10 Pansonic GH5

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for all the support, but we seem to have transitioned to the infamous double "hmmm".

Your RW2 files load fine. None of my RW2s load in PhD10 on this desktop PC or on my laptop.

Particularly curious is the fact that your GH5 RW2 loads fine. I'm using the GH5's big brother - the S1H.

Have tried numerous camera settings - style, aspect ratio, etc. Nada. Tried a different SD card. Nada tambien.

As mentioned, when loading multiple S1H RW2s PhD10's import preview window shows them fine. Even at maximum preview size. Then upon IMPORT the pics display properly for a second or 2 then change to pink noise. All JPEGs work fine.

I still wonder if the image size is part of the problem. Your GH5 RW2 is 5184 x 3888. Mine are 6024 x 4016. Maybe it's a full frame RW2 handling issue within PhD10?

Dunno. Have pinged Tech support. Stay tuned, more news at 11.
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a sample S1H RW2 if anyone would like to try it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oIkYayZYDwOe019nPzdKMvx6dSJXYgLy?usp=sharing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the sample image. I have the latest version of PhD 11, and I actually see the full image for a couple of seconds after importing it, but then it becomes the same useless pinkish mess of pixels that you've described.

The top half of the following composite image was taken moments after importing the RW2 clip, and the bottom half is what's dsiplayed after the import "processing" is completed, and how it remains afterwards.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Thank you for adding you voice optodata!

The issue remains, but we're making progress.

I can confirm your observations with .RW2 files from Panasonic S1H, including the sample you provided & others downloaded from Photography Blog. This has not occurred with others I'd checked from different cameras.

I can also confirm that PhD10 & PhD11 both handle the .RW2s in the same way (not well).

I will alert the team at CyberLink to the issue, even though a support ticket has been submitted.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks PIX and optodata for confirming this isn't a personal problem. laughing

Hopefully the fix is a quick one as I hate to think of all the unedited RAWs I'll have queued up by then.
[Post New]
Hello again PAG,

I still wonder if the image size is part of the problem. Your GH5 RW2 is 5184 x 3888. Mine are 6024 x 4016.

I don't think it's particularly a dimensions issue, but I have noticed some inconsistencies with how different software "reads" the dimensions of Panasonic S1H.

Windows Properties states 6024x4016 for the .RW2 & 6000x4000 for the JPG.
PhotoDirector, Win10 Photos, & PhotoScape X say the same.
Lightroom, PhotoShop (Camera RAW) and ON1 Photo RAW states the .RW2s are 6000x4000
Zoner PhotoStudio X says 6072x4016 (?)

N.B. Win10 Photos displays the Pana S1H .RW2s exactly as PhD does. Correct display initially, followed by pink noise. Photos has no trouble displaying other .RW2s I've tested.

All this information & reference to the thread will be passed on to CL.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Panatony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2020 08:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Panasonic DC-G9 and have just started using Photodirector 11, I always shoot in RAW but get the pinkish coloring in the shadows mainly, which is impossible to correct.

As a test I switched the camera to RAW+jpg and you can really see the difference with the photos side by side, I also installed the latest Win10 Camera RAW update which fixes the problem in Win10

Has anyone been given an update on a patch for this? I'll have to switch back to Lightroom if this isn't fixed soon.

Panatony
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the tip re: Win10 Camera RAW update. That fixed Windows. Still nothing heard from Cyberlink re: a fix for PhD.
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone discovered a solution to this problem? Cyberlink support has been nothing but crickets.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Have you updated PhD to the latest version? It should be 12.2.2525.0

I can load RW2 images from the PhotographyBlog site that PIX linked to. This is from the 3rd row of sample RAW images there:

PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks OPTODATA. The $52 upgrade from 10 to 12 fixed the pink screen issue. Standard S1H RAW photos are now displaying as they should.

However...

An error message is displayed when trying to import an S1H high res RAW photo (~170MB). The message appears just after clicking OPEN to load the file into the IMPORT preview window. The message reads:

"Cyberlink Photodirector is not able to open the file you selected. Either the format is not supported or the file is broken. Please check your content source again."

The S1H high res file opens fine in Win 10 Photos.

Should I start a new thread on this issue?

thx
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Should I start a new thread on this issue?

I think this is still related. Can you share a high res image? The Google Drive link you shared last year is no longer active.
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Try this link.

Panasonic S1H high resolution .RW2 @ 169MB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJszFMgH-ODQXk3aTFWaOUKB0ccb8Scs/view?usp=sharing
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the image. I tried opening it in PhD12 and got the same error, then I tried double-clicking on it and the Photos app came up with this message:

I then downloaded Raw Image Extension from the MS Store. but I still got the error in PhD. I also tried dragging & dropping, but no luck.

The usual tool for figuring stuff like this out, MediaInfo, doesn't work for RW2 clips so here's what IrfanView shows:

I think PIX may need to get CL involved to understand why the higher resolution/pixel count is causing this issue.
PAG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the investigative efforts optodata. I'm wondering if it's something as simple as an individual file size limiter in PhD12?

Unfortunately, my S1H is my only source of such a high res pic so I can't do much comparative testing.