Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD won't open all projects
RJBOMS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2012 06:28 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
When attempting to open an old project, it may come across a photo no longer accessible, and I click ignore. The project then attempts to open, but then closes down the entire PD application. Is there a solution? It happens only with projects about 20 minutes or longer...thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When attempting to open an old project, it may come across a photo no longer accessible, and I click ignore. The project then attempts to open, but then closes down the entire PD application. Is there a solution? It happens only with projects about 20 minutes or longer...thanks

You might make sure shadow files are turned off, it's been know to do that. I know some users consistently tout upward compatibility, I've never really experienced that. Usually the projects open, but often the edit session is not correct. Some versions of PD created a duplicate image for corrected images in a hidden folder location so those are missing, probably your initial problem. Pack project did not capture this either. Recently I had one project I had to manual recreate a png pic for all these modified images so it would load and then correct in the edit session, a real pain for many corrected images.

Some previous discussion here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77296.page#post_box_316374 Again a user highlighted chromakey didn't work, more than likely as chromakey was redone by CL between PD16 and PD17 to change user knobs available for adjustment but CL didn't provide upward compatibility.

So, usually one can get them to open with enough finagling but may or may not be the edit session you had depending on what features you used and what CL may have changed. Always work with a backup pds file first.

Jeff
RJBOMS [Avatar]
[Post New]

You might make sure shadow files are turned off, it's been know to do that. I know some users consistently tout upward compatibility, I've never really experienced that. Usually the projects open, but often the edit session is not correct. Some versions of PD created a duplicate image for corrected images in a hidden folder location so those are missing, probably your initial problem. Pack project did not capture this either. Recently I had one project I had to manual recreate a png pic for all these modified images so it would load and then correct in the edit session, a real pain for many corrected images.

Some previous discussion here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77296.page#post_box_316374 Again a user highlighted chromakey didn't work, more than likely as chromakey was redone by CL between PD16 and PD17 to change user knobs available for adjustment but CL didn't provide upward compatibility.

So, usually one can get them to open with enough finagling but may or may not be the edit session you had depending on what features you used and what CL may have changed. Always work with a backup pds file first.

Jeff

I don't know how to turn off "shadow files".
Every new software update from cyberlink is more quirky than the last, difficult to upload, and never runs smoothly.
Is there a better moviemaker software program? Pwerdirector was great early on -now has more bugs, stops working -NOT user friendly for hobbyists ...
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know how to turn off "shadow files".

Pref > General > "Enable shadow files..."

Jeff
RJBOMS [Avatar]
[Post New]

Pref > General > "Enable shadow files..."

Jeff

old projects still won't open -load to 42%, then powerdirector closes...
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
How far did it load before prior to shadow file change, always 42%? What release version of PD18 do you have? You might make sure it's the most current for your purchase model, 2405 perpetual, I don't know subscription latest version. it looks like subscription has had a newer ColorDirctor vs perpetual so I'd assume PowerDirector maybe too.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
FYI The current subscription version of PD(365) is 18.1.2405.0 and CD is 8.0.2409.0. Those versions were released near the end of last month. There's also a new version of the App Manager dated Jan 9 2020, which is v1.6.2510.0.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°