Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Luma fade transition?
flippy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2019 11:04 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
It's a nice transition. Can we have it? Do I miss it somwhere in the powerDirector 365?

Please tell me if I do, becauase I need to engineer it in Transition Designer, everytime, when I want it. And please let me know if I am making it in a dumb way:

(1) Use your camera icon to take a still of the last frame. Use that still as the image in the Designer. In Border, set Gradient color Begin with and End with to either black or white, or vice versa. Transition Made.

(2) Drag the still to the timeline right after the last frame. If I want the transition lasts 2 sec, that's how hong the still will show in the video.

(3) Drag the transition to the still.

Done.

Must I do these everytime? Is there a luma key somewhere?

If I make the luma key transition this way, I can't do a seconds long transition because I am using a still. I want that when certain parts of the screen are masked out from the transitions before the others. If the transition takes too long the viewers can tell there's no de facto movement.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 12. 2020 20:52

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You are outlining making a transition with Transition Designer. Your step 1 would determine whether the dark or the light areas changes first in the image.

There is a similar transition in ProDad Adorage vol 1/Chromatic where the first frame of the (right) 2nd clip is used. You on the other hand use the last frame of the 1st clip. I do see problems. If the 2nd right clip is panning then it doesn’t look right. On your idea if the first clip is panning and/or the second clip is also panning then it doesn’t look right. The less movement in the clips the better the transition from one video clip the other video clip.

The transition is in my PD17 which originally was installed there by a previous version of PD. Good to see variety in transitions. Modifying this proDad transition may be easier if you want to save time. Good Luck.
flippy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You are outlining making a transition with Transition Designer. Your step 1 would determine whether the dark or the light areas changes first in the image.

There is a similar transition in ProDad Adorage vol 1/Chromatic where the first frame of the (right) 2nd clip is used. You on the other hand use the last frame of the 1st clip. I do see problems. If the 2nd right clip is panning then it doesn’t look right. On your idea if the first clip is panning and/or the second clip is also panning then it doesn’t look right. The less movement in the clips the better the transition from one video clip the other video clip.

The transition is in my PD17 which originally was installed there by a previous version of PD. Good to see variety in transitions. Modifying this proDad transition may be easier if you want to save time. Good Luck.

Thanks

Are there free altervatives to the transition?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I buy full versions of PD instead of upgrades at a reduced price and is therefore able to use the assets from the previous versions of PD by leaving them installed so technically it is not free. You could buy a copy of PD14 ult. or buy it from proDad for $99 or buy it from a vendor for much less. ProDad has a free trial available.
flippy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well is it uncommon to not have this transition in an editing software?

By the way is there an easier way to engineer this transition using color director maybe in combination with power director?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well is it uncommon to not have this transition in an editing software?

By the way is there an easier way to engineer this transition using color director maybe in combination with power director?

It does look like that the Luma Fade Transition can be custom created and work well with moving video if done properly in PowerDirector. See the attached.
 Filename
Luma Fade Transition.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Luma Fade Transition in PowerDirector
 Filesize
1418 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
228 time(s)
flippy [Avatar]
[Post New]

It does look like that the Luma Fade Transition can be custom created and work well with moving video if done properly in PowerDirector. See the attached.

Hey thanks. Is that a teaching video from you? Um, I can't really see how the work is done... the resolution is bit too low...
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The resolution of the video is low as to not to exceed the 5 MB file size limit. It is easy to figure out. A FB PD forum member has posted a different technique that works equally well with both images and/or videos in PowerDirector. You will find my YT and other member links there.
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's a nice transition. Can we have it? Do I miss it somwhere in the powerDirector 365?

Please tell me if I do, becauase I need to engineer it in Transition Designer, everytime, when I want it. And please let me know if I am making it in a dumb way:

(1) Use your camera icon to take a still of the last frame. Use that still as the image in the Designer. In Border, set Gradient color Begin with and End with to either black or white, or vice versa. Transition Made.

(2) Drag the still to the timeline right after the last frame. If I want the transition lasts 2 sec, that's how hong the still will show in the video.

(3) Drag the transition to the still.

Done.

Must I do these everytime? Is there a luma key somewhere?

If I make the luma key transition this way, I can't do a seconds long transition because I am using a still. I want that when certain parts of the screen are masked out from the transitions before the others. If the transition takes too long the viewers can tell there's no de facto movement.

Use 3 Layers. Layer 1. The scene you are transitioning from.2 and 3 are the scene you are transitioning to.

Chroma key out the lighter color in the 2nd layer (like sky) and do a quick fade ltransition at the beginning.

Set a threshold transition the beginning of the 3rd. (Reverse order of layers for classic PD transparency layer order.)

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT489cmodtg