Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to create custom keyboard shortcuts in Power Director
Lusayalumino [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2020 16:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I was wondering if there is any way to create custom keyboard shortcuts. I'm trying to add the following 3 shortcuts (Power Director 15) so I can add command buttons in stream deck:
- View Entire Movie
- Remove Timeline Markers (Add Timeline Marker already exists as a keyboard shortcut)
- Add Clip Marker (Remove Clip Markers already exists as a keyboard shortcut)
AL_59 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2017 09:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Try the following:

Preferences -> Editing ->Keyboard Hotkeys

Hope, this helps
Lusayalumino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for your reply Al; unfortunately, in PD15 -- it doesn't seem to allow the custom keyboard shortcuts (only the built-in ones). But, if there's something I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Go to Edit/Keyboard Hotkeys/Customize and change those shortcuts to whatever you want. Do a Save As afterwards and give it your name. Some of the listed functions have no hotkeys shortcut assigned and you can add them.
Lusayalumino [Avatar]
[Post New]
From what I can see, that allows the ability to apply a Keyboard Macro to the EXISTING commands -- but it does not allow other commands / or macro recording. These are the commands that don't exist in the list, that I am trying to map to:
- View Entire Movie
- Remove Timeline Markers (Add Timeline Marker already exists as a keyboard shortcut)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, PD doesn't have the ability to add new hot key functionality, and even the latest version (PD18/365) is no different.

That leaves two options that I can see - make a request using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions... under PD's File menu in hopes that a future version will be more flexible; or try a free app like WinHotKey or an appropriate higher end mouse app (like Logitech Options) to create macros to automate the desired functionality.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AL_59 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2017 09:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks so much for your reply Al; unfortunately, in PD15 -- it doesn't seem to allow the custom keyboard shortcuts (only the built-in ones). But, if there's something I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks!

You mentioned at some point macro recording. Maybe the following could help (starting at 8:15):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydapPQyjLrU
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder if this would do what you want. I started using it with PD9 and adapted it to work with my current PD13. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Lusayalumino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You mentioned at some point macro recording. Maybe the following could help (starting at 8:15):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydapPQyjLrU

Hey Al! That's so interesting that you'd point out Stream Deck; that's exactly why I'm doing this -- to use with my stream deck. Unfortunately, to my knowledge -- there's no way to execute those commands with keyboard commands -- only with the mouse (which StreamDeck can't record).

Really appreciate your help and efforts -- and any other ideas you may have.

By the way, if anyone wants any of my stream deck buttons, I'd be happy to share them:

• 26 Button Icons for AIMP

• 120 Button Icons for LOGOS

• 20 Button Icons for OUTLOOK

• 29 Button Icons for PAINT.net

• 163 Button Icons for POWER DIRECTOR / VIDEO EDITORS

[Thumb - Stream Deck Power Director.png]
 Filename
Stream Deck Power Director.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
84 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2020 13:37

Lusayalumino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I wonder if this would do what you want. I started using it with PD9 and adapted it to work with my current PD13.

Thanks Mike! Super interesting; I googled it and it seems there's no landing page for it (was looking for documentation / manual). I'm wondering if it has the ability to keyboard map to the following commands:
- View Entire Movie
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Mike! Super interesting; I googled it and it seems there's no landing page for it (was looking for documentation / manual).

There's nothing to Google. Simply download the ZIP archive in the OP of that thread and you'll get the small executable program and a PDF of the included commands.

From what I can see, it's just keystroke macros with no ability to add mouse macros. At least everything seems to work in PD18 except for the ctrl+space command which is supposed to roll back 5 seconds and resume playing

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks Mike! Super interesting; I googled it and it seems there's no landing page for it (was looking for documentation / manual). I'm wondering if it has the ability to keyboard map to the following commands:
- View Entire Movie

If you've Googled it you probably know it uses AutoHotkey. I actually downloaded it and used it to modify the PDspeed executable to take account of some command changes between PD9 and PD13. However I'm sure Optodata is right that it can't be used to mimic mouse actions [edit] although on further reading the description of its features in the Wiki article does include 'emulate . . . . . mouse clicks and movements'[/edit]. It's power comes from the ability to string a number of commands together under one keystroke. I haven't looked into the operations you've listed so I don't know if they could be actioned by combining a string of commands.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2020 16:51

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
optodata
[Post New]
Quote However I'm sure Optodata is right that it can't be used to mimic mouse actions ...

To be clear I was commenting on what the PDSpeed app seemed to do, not on whether or not the AutoHotKey app could record mouse activities. If it can capture those, then it may allow some of the desired functionality to be added.

One problem with that approach is that it will assume that the needed controls will always be in a predictable absolute position on the screen (or in the same relative position if the cursor is used for the reference point), and I'm not sure that PD will play along.

For example, I often don't see the View Entire Movie button displayed at all, regardless of my timeline content or zoom level. If a macro is expecting the button to always be visible (and clickable) and it's not there, the macro can't work correctly.

YouTube/optodata

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

There are a number of more or less sophisticated macro builders out there that can capture or build mouse movements, keyboard presses and releases, delays etc. Some also allow .exe files to be compiled.

I just used a trial version to manually build up (as opposed to capturing) a simple macro to rt click the mouse, press the Down key 3 times and the Enter key once.

That mimics the steps to Remove all timeline markers. Assigned to hotkey Alt-M. It works very effectively.

However, as Optodata has pointed out, the starting point must be the cursor at the correct location on the timeline marker rule for the rt click to call the drop down menu. If it is at a different location the macro will do nothing, or something,, but not remove the timeline markers!

Mouse position can be set in a number of ways, absolute screen co-ordinates, relative to last position, within a window etc. but since the screen layout of PDR can vary according to user needs, then in practice the macro is of limited use.

That problem will be a difficult one to solve with standard macro builders, I think.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do