Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Apologies,but... Gopro videos won't import directly.
650V2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2020 12:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times, but I couldn't find anything concrete using the forum search function.
My Gopro Hero 5 Black videos are visible when I use the import function in Power Director 365, but when I click to import them nothing happens. If I take the card out of the camera and put it in a usb card reader, PD365 will import them, so location rather than format seems to be the problem. Not a massive issue, but I had been told I would be able to import / drag & drop directly from camera to editing suite.
Can anyone explain why it won't import directly, how to fix it if fixable, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, a 60 year old technophobe.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi 650V2 -

66 year old technoflop here laughing

Why not transfer the GoPro clips to your hard drive before importing into PDR? I know you're a phobe & I'm a flop, but that makes more sense to me.

Hang on - I'll test each of the methods you've mentioned.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2020 16:40

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well, there you go...

I plugged the Hero5 Black into the PC via USB, opened PDR & went to import files... navigated to HERO5 Black > GoPro MTP Client Disk Volume, selected the clips... clicked Open.

Nothing happened "frown"

I tried dragging the clips from the GoPro5 directly into the Media Library... nothing happened.

Got the same results with GoPro7 Black too.

After copying the clips to my HDD, they imported without any issue.

Sorry - being a flop rather than a phobe, I can't offer you any explanation for that. "embarassed"

Cheers - Tony
650V2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad it's not just me, then. As you say, transfer clips to pc or put sd card in reader, easy enough, but.... there seems to be no reason why we shouldn't be able to go direct. Thanks for confirming the issue. Any other takers?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I use GoPro software to do the importing from the cameras. Not aware of any other consumer software can import them other than windows itself.
650V2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
To quote a sentence directly from PCMag uk:

"Power Director can of course import and edit footage from Gopro cameras, as well as from other action cameras from the likes of Sony, Kodak and Ion."

The article was referring to PD14, but surely if 14 can do it, 365 can?

Methinks I shall contact Cyberlink directly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2020 11:48

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi 650V2 -

The statement "Power Director can of course import and edit footage from Gopro cameras, as well as from other action cameras from the likes of Sony, Kodak and Ion." indicates only that the clips can be imported & edited. It doesn't refer to whether they can be imported directly from the camera.

This may or may not be related to what we're seeing...

In attempting to import directly from the GoPro (no card reader), PDR sees the file location as This PC\HERO7 BLACK\GoPro MTP Client Disk Volume\DCIM\100GOPRO, but using the SD card in a card reader, PDR sees E:\DCIM\100GOPRO undecided ???

tomasc - I only ever use GoPro Quik for updating camera firmware. Effectively it transfers the clips to the PC anyway.

650VC - in any case, if you don't transfer the clips to your PC the camera/SD card would need to remain connected during your editing sessions.

Cheers - Tony
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The PD18 manual Chapter 5 page 57 explains the importing in detail. At no time does it say importing directly from any camera, only from media already on a computer hard drive. This is the same for PD14 and any other video editing software including the GoPro Quik app that I use. Tony beat me to it.

Using the GoPro Quik app, I am allowed to import files directly off the GoPro camera using a usb c cable into the Pictures/GoPro library in separate folders with dates as yyyy-mm-dd so that I don’t have to sort later. One could use Windows instead to do it and have many options too.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In attempting to import directly from the GoPro (no card reader), PDR sees the file location as This PC\HERO7 BLACK\GoPro MTP Client Disk Volume\DCIM\100GOPRO, but using the SD card in a card reader, PDR sees E:\DCIM\100GOPRO undecided ???

That's probably occurs because of the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) in the mounted path. Windows does not assign drive letters to the MTP devices because it does not really expose them as true virtual file system to save and store too like it does your card reader. Without drive letters, software that is MTP unaware (like PD) cannot access directories or files on these devices without limits. The user has to switch to an MTP aware editor or use an aware application like Windows Explorer to copy or move the file to a file system that the application can access. In this case your local HD.

Basically the same as a previous user trying the load pictures into PhotoDirector from a network mount that had \\ vs a drive letter.

Jeff
650V2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, JL_JL.
That's the sort of logic I was looking for. Location or rather location nomenclature protocols, not file format. Regarding using Quik or Windows, thanks to all, I was already aware how to get stuff into PD that way, but it was more the idea of why couldn't I do it direct that interested me. Thanks again, all.
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
I always use the internal W10 Photo App to automatically import Video files from my Hero7 and Osmo Pocket to my Media Folder on my HD when connecting through USB. It also recognizes automatically new recordings and adds them in chronological order to my HD. From that HD, I import the recordings into PD18 which goes very fast.
curtain [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2019 21:07 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
If it means anything, I recently bought a Hero 8 and can not get anything (including the GoPro Windows app) to import from it so I just take out the tiny card and insert it into a USB card reader. Funny thing is the GoPro app for Windows launches immediately upon insertion as if I plugged the camera directly into the PC.,