Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installing PD18 Ultimate upgrade from PD16
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have just purchased and downloaded the upgrade to PD18 Ultimate and i want to make sure I don't lose all my downloads from Director Zone.

I have been using PD16 Ultimate since its inception. I want to check that i won't lose ALL my Director Zone downloads (there are lots.) Also can I retain PD16 as well, as a backup?

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2019 22:16

IanB
PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.3801.0 (64bit)
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Nividia GeForce 720 Version 372.54 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
2 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard D
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

I have just purchased and downloaded the upgrade to PD18 Ultimate and i want to make sure I don't lose all my downloads from Director Zone.

I have been using PD16 Ultimate since its inception. I want to check that i won't lose ALL my Director Zone downloads (there are lots.) Also can I retain PD16 as well, as a backup?

Thanks.

Think of it as a completely new install. You will actually have both on your system. I still have PD16 sitting on my computer and I switched to membership this year and its still there. So your good. PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
Think of it as a completely new install. You will actually have both on your system. I still have PD16 sitting on my computer and I switched to membership this year and its still there. So your good.

So the new install will recognise all the Director Zone downloads along with Custom titles and DVD menus?

Thanks. IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]

So the new install will recognise all the Director Zone downloads along with Custom titles and DVD menus?

Thanks.

No, I do not believe it will do that but you will not lose anything. Think about it like this if I had PD14 and I installed PD18 they would be 2 separate programs. Any items I downloaded for PD14 would be fine and PD14 will still work. But those items will not be moved to PD18. You would need to download them again or move them manually. PowerDirector Tutorials Team
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So the new install will recognise all the Director Zone downloads along with Custom titles and DVD menus?

Thanks.

It should, and it does most of the time, but if you search the forum, you'll find instances where that didn't happen. Fortunately, there are also solutions for getting your content back in some of the more recent threads.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
I also am on the brink of purchasing PD18 Ultimate as there are a few irritating issues with PD16, and I mean just irritating, and in going for PD18 I hope they will have been cured, but if not, or there are other issues with PD18 its nice to know I can revert back to PD16. Nothing in PD18 will be so good as to be worth ditching PD16 for.

For example, does PD18 leave the preview window as was when you just done Color Match? PD16 closes preview window which is really annoying.

Does PD18 remember where windows are placed (second monitor and general layout)? PD16 has to be manually set each time you run the program.

Also I did consider downloading the trial of PD18 but for some reason I get the impression its a cut down version (called essential??) and not the full PD18 with a time limit? Can anyone expand on that?

PD16 is solid enough for me, but I'm curious about newer bells and whistles and am happy to pay for them, but do not want it to turn out being a waste of money if disappointing or big problems, hence thinking about trial version (see above).

Thanks for any helpful feedback.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote For example, does PD18 leave the preview window as was when you just done Color Match? PD16 closes preview window which is really annoying.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I don't see any operational differences with Color Match between PD16 and PD18. The windows appear to behave the same.

Quote Does PD18 remember where windows are placed (second monitor and general layout)? PD16 has to be manually set each time you run the program.

No. You would need to use a third party screen management app.

Quote Also I did consider downloading the trial of PD18 but for some reason I get the impression its a cut down version (called essential??) and not the full PD18 with a time limit? Can anyone expand on that?

It is not the full version with a timebomb, it's a cut down version. You can get a feel of some of the cut down by clicking the "Download Information" on page https://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdirector-video-editing-software/download_en_US.html

Keep in mind, if a "UPGRADE" as OP stated, the EULA states:
"* UPGRADES
If this copy of the SOFTWARE is an upgrade from an earlier version of the SOFTWARE, it is provided to you on a license exchange basis. Upon your installation and use of this copy of the SOFTWARE, you agree to voluntarily terminate your earlier EULA and you will not continue to use the earlier version of the SOFTWARE or resell or distribute it to another person or entity."

Jeff
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff - thanks for your reply...

As regards the preview window I normally have this open on a second monitor and thus gain the area in the main window for usually the library, but when I do a Color Match which works well, and close the operation, my preview window is closed and reverts to being part of the main window again. Annoying as now I have to detach and reposition and resize the preview window back onto the second monitor.

If PD18 does not remember screen settings, what does "Auto-save Dual-screen settings" mean? Its listed in the version comparison table for PD18 Ultimate.

I understand what you say about the trial version, I'm not necessarily going to see exactly what I want. Thanks.

Interesting point you highlight with regard to the "update" to PD18 as opposed to the outright purchase. Am I right in understanding that an "upgrade" at a cheaper price is just going to replace bits of PD16 to provide all the new features - but at the expense of now not being able to revert to the previous version?

Surely while I retain the original download files for PD16, I always retain the ability to comletely uninstal PD18 and reinstal PD16? I would not be pleased if this adventure into PD18 were a one-way path.

Thanks again Jeff your input is interesting and helpful

Alan.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff - thanks for your reply...

As regards the preview window I normally have this open on a second monitor and thus gain the area in the main window for usually the library, but when I do a Color Match which works well, and close the operation, my preview window is closed and reverts to being part of the main window again. Annoying as now I have to detach and reposition and resize the preview window back onto the second monitor.

If PD18 does not remember screen settings, what does"Auto-save Dual-screen settings" mean? Its listed in the version comparison table for PD18 Ultimate.

I understand what you say about the trial version, I'm not necessarily going to see exactly what I want. Thanks.

Interesting point you highlight with regard to the "update" to PD18 as opposed to the outright purchase. Am I right in understanding that an "upgrade" at a cheaper price is just going to replace bits of PD16 to provide all the new features - but at the expense of now not being able to revert to the previous version?

Surely while I retain the original download files for PD16, I always retain the ability to comletely uninstal PD18 and reinstal PD16? I would not be pleased if this adventure into PD18 were a one-way path.

Thanks again Jeff your input is interesting and helpful

Alan.

Depends a little how you use the dual monitor. If you undock the preview window and have it on the second monitor, the "Auto-save Dual-screen settings" will remember and when the undock display is selected again, the preview window will appear on the dual monitor. However, the project will not auto load that way with the undocked preview on the dual monitor, you have to undock it from the primary monitor. PD16 didn't remember this and you had to drag undocked window again.

For Color Match on the dual monitor with the undocked preview window on the second monitor, the undocked window is closed and you would have to undock again on the primary monitor for it to appear on the dual monitor.

If I'm wrong I'm sure a few will correct me, I'm recalling this from when I took a look at dual monitor setup again when PD18 was released, I currently don't have a dual monitor setup to verify.

Yes, upgrades are offered at a cheaper price vs outright purchase which has no such restriction on voluntary forfeit of use.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2019 16:03

AlanR47
[Post New]
Ok so when you undock, PD18 remembers where you last had it positioned. Seems good.

Same when exiting ColorMatch, it just makes restoration quicker.

The update policy seems a bit harsh. Would appear that when an update is purchased, should there be a serious bug that affects your work flow that you can do nothing except put up with it until CL corrects it.

That would surely put off most users contemplating buying an upgrade, knowing that if there were any new bugs you were prevented from restoring a previous version until such time as the new bug was resolved.

Any other comments???
AlanR47
[Post New]
Further thought after re-reading posts above -

When I upgrade from PD16 to PD18 do I still have both versions installed - or has PD18 overwritten PD16?

Therre seems some confusion.
Ian26 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Further thought after re-reading posts above -

When I upgrade from PD16 to PD18 do I still have both versions installed - or has PD18 overwritten PD16?

Therre seems some confusion.

That is exactly one of the things I was worried about, as I would like to have PD16 as a fall back if PD18 did throw up any problems.

I hope someone can clarify that please.

Thanks. IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That is exactly one of the things I was worried about, as I would like to have PD16 as a fall back if PD18 did throw up any problems.

I hope someone can clarify that please.

Thanks.

I thought Jeff explained the situation about buying an upgrade for a discount over buying a full version for the full price pretty well and why legally one can’t have both by paying the lower upgrade price.

If one purchase a new car every year and trade in the old one then he has only one car after say 20 years by buying at the lower discount price for each new car. This is like upgrading.

If one purchase a new car every year without trading in the old one then he pays the higher price and after say 20 years he has twenty cars and is legally the owner of all twenty cars. This is like buying the Full version.

One should buy the Full version at a higher price and not buy an upgrade at a lower price. The user can then have both versions, one new one to use and one old one to fall back in this case. See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77723.page#318311 and this one: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31333.page#171785 .

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2019 11:15

Ian26 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok everyone,

Seems this has partially gone off my original topic.

All I wanted to know is will I have problems finding my downloaded titles, menus, etc. Will they automatically show up in the upgraded installation or will I have to search for them?

I am running PD16 Ultimate with Windows 8.1. I think the PD18 Ultimate upgrade from PD16, maybe a new installation as on the order confirmation i received from CyberLink Online Shop it included a Product Key and 14 other files.

The main file link is 1_CyberLink_PowerDirector18_Ultimate_VDE190912-05.exe (I have highlighted the version). With the product key, this makes me think it maybe the full version. Am I correct in this assumption?

I have attached copies of the order confirmation.

EDIT:
I did save ALL of the DirectorZone downloads in a seperate folder on another drive, so I can reinstall them if I have to, but would prefer not to have to do this, due to the number of downloads.
[Thumb - PD18 Order_2.jpg]
 Filename
PD18 Order_2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
115 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - PD18 Order_1.jpg]
 Filename
PD18 Order_1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
311 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2019 20:51

IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
AlanR47
[Post New]
This is still sort of similar to what I am trying to clarify.

Some say because its cheaper (an upgrade) you will update PD16 to PD18 and be unable (physically or legally) to run PD16 any more.

I assume the price is cheaper because you already bought the full version (PD16) once and therefore you are offerred an attractive price when you decide to upgrade to a later version. Most companies follow this policy.

I have to say from the images you uploaded it looks very much like you got a full instal of PD18 and I cannot see any reason why (physically) you would ever lose the ability to run PD16.

Cautious users would always want to retain the option to go back to the earlier release if the new software presents problems and I cannot see CL restricting that freedom. I have asked CL for their ruling on whether an upgrade in any way restricts the user from running an earlier version.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The main file link is 1_CyberLink_PowerDirector18_Ultimate_VDE190912-05.exe (I have highlighted the version). With the product key, this makes me think it maybe the full version. Am I correct in this assumption?

I have attached copies of the order confirmation.

No. PD versions are entirely separate from one another, and all are "full" versions in that sense. The difference is whether you paid for the "full" version or whether you paid for a discounted "upgrade." As your PD 18 Order_1 (1).jpg image shows, you clearly purchased an upgrade from v16/17, and so legally, you are not allowed to retain PD 16 on your system.

I imagine you could keep it installed briefly while you test out PD18, but another thing to consider is that you cannot ever open any project in an older version of PD that has been created, or opened and then saved, in the newer version. In other words, you would need to use Save As in PD18 after making any changes so as to not overwrite the PD16 version of the project.

Quote EDIT:
I did save ALL of the DirectorZone downloads in a seperate folder on another drive, so I can reinstall them if I have to, but would prefer not to have to do this, due to the number of downloads.

That is smart, and you can also transfer them onto a cheap USB drive if you need to free up the disk space. If you delete them and need to reinstall more than 30 days from now, you will have to contact CL customer service to get new links, and then download everything again.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AlanR47
[Post New]
Thanks Opto - that all seems to make sense - and at the same time provides that window of opportunity to revert back to the previous version should issues with the upgraded version exist.

Being unable to edit new projects (those made by PD18 ) using PD16 is quite usual with most software, but then by the same token, why would you want to go back if PD18 created a successful project for you?

Your input was helpful - thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2019 21:20

Ian26 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have to say from the images you uploaded it looks very much like you got a full instal of PD18 and I cannot see any reason why (physically) you would ever lose the ability to run PD16.

Cautious users would always want to retain the option to go back to the earlier release if the new software presents problems and I cannot see CL restricting that freedom. I have asked CL for their ruling on whether an upgrade in any way restricts the user from running an earlier version.

That's what I thought. I will wait for a few more replies before I go ahead and intall PD18. At the moment it seems the upgrade will be done.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2019 21:32

IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
Ian26 [Avatar]
[Post New]
One last query, is/are there any "hidden" folders/subfolders where all the my downloaded titles, transitions, menus, etc. are kept?
I've searched through all - I think all - CyberLink folders/subfolders but can't seem to find them. If I can find them I would like to save the folders/subfolders to disc for future reference.

I know from previous upgrades that I was directed to them but can't remember what they were.

Thanks again. IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know from previous upgrades that I was directed to them but can't remember what they were.

Thanks again.

The location should be C:\Users\Public\Cyberlink\