Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Applying different transitions to photos?
Carol [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ireland Joined: Jun 01, 2009 15:20 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I know this wasn't possible in PD7, and haven't been able to do it in PD8 yet - but just in case I'm missing something....

The ability to select a few photos in the timeline and add 1 transition to those, then selecting other photos and adding a different transition to those, etc. for various transitions through my pic movie. Is this there in PD8?

Thanks in advance
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I can tell it is either one or all. I don't see a way to just add a transition to a few selected photos. It would be nice if I'm wrong. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Am I missing something here, I just placed 4 photos on my time line and used 4 different transitions, or are you talking about selecting say 20 photos choosing one transition for those twenty then selecting another 20 photos and selecting a different transition for them, thus saving you inserting 40 separate transitions?

I then reverted back to the stand alone photos minus the above transitions and used the 3d slideshow option on the first two photos and motion slide show effect for the next two and placed a fade between the two slide shows.

If I am missing something please elaborate on your request.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Robert -

I think Carol may have been after "selecting say 20 photos choosing one transition for those twenty then selecting another 20 photos and selecting a different transition for them", as you suggested.

Carol - I don't think you can do what you'd like to be able to do with PD8 (sorry Jaime)... but you can use Robert's idea, even though it's not exactly what I think you were thinking.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2009 12:34

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Carol [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ireland Joined: Jun 01, 2009 15:20 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, gotta do it manually - sucks, even Windows Movie Maker lets you do this!

No harm, keep me out of trouble for a while adding them

Thanks all
Bob Johnson [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Staffordshire Joined: Aug 02, 2009 10:16 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
A quick workaround is to apply the 1st transition and Copy it (Control-C).
Than move the cursor to the next positions and paste - Control-V is easiest. Bob Johnson
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I read somewhere on one of the forums, probably in the PDR7 forum, that you can select a transition and then make it a favorite.

After you have added a transition to Favorites, then select the Favorites group from the dropdown list of Transition types.

Click on the Library menu icon (with the green down arrow) and select Apply Random Transition Effect to All. With only one transition effect in the favorites group, then that will be the only transition that is used.

So that takes care of applying one transition to a group of photos. Then to add more photos with different transitions you can follow these steps.

1. Save your project.

2. Select File > New Workspace.

3. Set up a new favorite transition, add photos to the timeline, and apply the favorite transition as a random transition effect to all.

4. Use the Range selector to select all clips on the timeline and then click the Copy button.

I don't save the temporary workspace (File > Save Project), but you can before proceeding to step 5.

5. From the menu select File > Recent Files, and then open the previous project saved in step 1.

6. Move the Timeline Slider to the position where you want the clips to go and then click the Paste button on the left side just above the timeline ruler.

If you have more photos, the just keep repeating from step 1.

I guess the main point is that you can copy and paste from one project into another.

The other thing you could do if you already have the timeline filled with all the photos you want to use, is to select a group of photos with the Range selector and then Cut them. After that you start with step 1, and then after step 2 you click the Paste button.

Do not use the Cut (CTRL-X), Copy (CTRL-C), and Paste (CTRL-V) commands that are on menus. They sometimes don't give the same results as using the Range selector Cut, Copy, and Paste buttons.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Xerox -

Geez I wish I wasn't so forgetful! Unfortunately all the cores in the old brain don't function 100% of the time.

Thanks for the reminder and the clear explanation.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!