Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD does not work on AMD graphics card
FrancescoRosa [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Avigliano Joined: Mar 26, 2018 04:57 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am forced to put the energy saving mode out of the way the PC is attached to the power outlet and forcing me to use the Intel card instead of the AMD card. How could I solve the problem?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2019 05:57

Francesco Rosa
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
powerdvd would always use the GPU which is in chrage of the main display if you are using a laptop, and the GPU is usually the Intel one if your latop has hybrid GPUs.

I'm not sure what symtom you exactly encountered when using "Power saving mode" with PowerDVD and how powerdvd forced you to leave power saving mode. An integrated Intel GPU is much more power-saving versus discrete AMD or NVIDIA GPU.

Anyway, "Power saving" mode might interrupt many normal processes regarding the DRM video (e.g. commercial Blu-ray movie) playback, and it does not have such universal industry standard for what the power saving mode should optimize or not, but totally depends on how the PC, laptop manufacturer, or software manfacturer implements.

No surprise IF a power saving mode would cause some normal playback functions not work.

Ask the vendor that ships the power saving mode features in their hardware for help.

No need to mention that there are many malware disguise themselves as battery saver or calibration tool.
FrancescoRosa [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm talking about the Windows graphic settings. So there isn't way to amke PowerDVD work at high performance? Francesco Rosa
QC2.0 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As far as I know, the answer is No, unless your laptop can completely turn OFF Intel graphics function on the platform in all aspects,.

Or, it's a desktop platform that the Intel and AMD GPU pipeline are clearly separated.
FrancescoRosa [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had pre-installed PowerDVD on my TOSHIBA. The same is goes for this version of PowerDVD? Francesco Rosa
QC2.0 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't have the same version of your preinstalled powerdvd, but I think they are the same.
markvergin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2016 08:40 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
close powerdvd app.

open amd / nvidia control panel, stay in background.

open task manager > details>

find amd / nvidia (gpu) & intel/amd (cpu).............now look for each with highest memory usage....right click....open file location.......copy link/address .

open microsoft setting.........system..........display...........graphic setting..……..desktop app / browse...…pop-up.....now past link...…….and select high preformace.....do same each for all and also powerdvd too set to high performance

now open powerdvd / pc mode....setting.....more video setting...…….change default hardware acceleration to amd…done.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2019 20:17

FrancescoRosa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately this not resolve my problem. Only MPG and VOB videos are workly on PowerDVD with AMD Graphic. Francesco Rosa
Ballpin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2020 13:15 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I did my own research on this because i had similar problem and no one really gave me a good explination on why it does not work. Cyberlink does not provide any good information about it either. It was solved for me and i found a reliable explination why it does not work.

Check my thread https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/81211.page

I believe you need to check all your specs and that you need to enter bios to priotize the Intel Graphic card that you have on your motherboard. So the PCI-E Graphic card does not take over does not take over the video output. I explained it in my thread why it is so. During my research i found that their are softwares that are that hardly glued to DRM as Cyberlink is and through that you can make it work with Nvidia and AMD cards. I need to test it though. From my understanding these software is legal and im not talking about ripping just playback. Same as PowerDvD.

Hope it helps!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2020 07:01