Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitle files being selected when none should be
cplloyd42 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2015 04:42 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
In many of my video folders I have several .srt files, all of which are carefully named to match their corresponding video files. If I select a video with a corresponding .srt file, the correct subtitle file is loaded. Switching to another video with a corresponding .srt file has the new video displaying the correct subtitles for this video. If, however, I pick a video that doesn't have a .srt file, the video plays with the first .srt file listed in that folder selected. I need to turn "Off" subtitles for this video (and others without .srt files) to play it correctly. However, if I need to play another video that has a .srt file, I need manually to select this file as it PDVD 19 doesn't automatically select it for me.

Is there some way for PDVD 19 to be configured so that it will select a corresponding .srt file automatically, if one is present, and select no subtitle file if one is not found?

Thanks in advance, P.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
The way to do this is not have all your video files and subtitles in the same folder. I have all my movie files in their own folders with their subtitles. TV shows seasons are in their own folder, with each episode having it's own SRT file. Sounds like you need to better organize the files on your computer.

PowerDVD used to only read the file if it was named exactly the same at the video file, but I found that to be too strict. I like the way it is done now. So you either have to reorganize your files, or turn subtitles on or off when you don't need.

Dave

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 13. 2019 01:32

cplloyd42 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Dave, for your input. I'm afraid I can't agree with you that PDVD 19 has got it right at all. To me it makes perfect sense to have subtitle files with precisely the same name as the video file (there is an obvious 1-to-1 correspondence) and for the video player to recognize this correspondence and select the subtitle file at play time automatically. It seems obvious to me, also, that should there be no corresponding subtitle file then the video player ignores all subtitle files it finds. I think earlier versions of PDVD (16, 17?) used to do this.

Your response suggests that there is no way of doing what I asked - automatic selection of subtitle file and ignoring all subtitle files where there is no match. I'm considering either finding another video player that uses straightforward logic in handling subtitle files, or using a video editor that allows me to embed the subtitle file within the video for playing in PDVD. It seems to me that all PDVD needs to do is ignore all subtitle files where there is no match.

Another problem I have found is that sometimes the subtitle facility in PDVD selects "SubtitleHandler - [English]" and displays all dialog as subtitles. This is a considerable nuisance as one needs to turn off subtitles for this video, necessitating turning them on again for the next video that has a subtitle file.

Paul.
cplloyd42 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, it's been a week since my last post and no one from Cyberlink, or any other contributor, has made comment on my, I believe, quite reasonable expectation for PDVD 19 to use (and not use) subtitle files. At the moment, MediaMonkey looks a whole lot more logical in its use of subtitle files, is free, and it has a library system (albeit, not as well organized as PDVD). Unless PDVD gets a more usable method of working with subtitle files, I'll refrain from further updates. Frankly, PDVD 19's handling of subtitle files is in a mess!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2019 16:38

Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Well, it's been a week since my last post and no one from Cyberlink, or any other contributor, has made comment on my, I believe, quite reasonable expectation for PDVD 19...

Hello,

As posted in the read me and at the top of the forum, CyberLink CS does not monitor or provide customer support on the forum. Have you tried contacting CyberLink customer support as suggested?

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2019 19:17