Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How important is it to enable shadow files.
[Post New]
Recently I have noticed that my SSD space was shrinking out of nowhere and didn't really know why until I found a folder with a bunch of shadow files that PowerDirector saved. I deleted the files and regained 200 gb of space. Now the program tells me to enable them for smoother editing but I don't want the files to save so what should I do?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You have a couple of options.

That suggestion to use shadow files is to help PD handle high resolution clips on less-than top-notch hardware. If you have a reasonably new and powerful PC, you may not need shadow files at all, especially if you're working with HD clips and not 4K.

You can easily try working with shadow files disabled and see if your PC can preview your projects at a usable speed. You will likely need to set the preview resolution to HD, instead of Ultra HD or Full HD, though.

If it turns out that you do need to use shadow files, you can set the auto delete setting for temporary files to something shorter than the 30 days default setting, and/or manually delete them when you finish each project to free up SSD space.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Recentemente, notei que meu espaço SSD estava diminuindo do nada e realmente não sabia o porquê até encontrar uma pasta com vários arquivos de sombra que o PowerDirector salvou. Apaguei os arquivos e recuperei 200 gb de espaço. Agora, o programa diz para habilitá-los para uma edição mais suave, mas não quero que os arquivos sejam salvos, então o que devo fazer?

Adding to the optodata showed.
You can change the folder, Export Folders to another HD.
Keys together, Alt + C / File / Expot Folder / Bronse
[Thumb - Expor Folder.jpg]
 Filename
Expor Folder.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 10. 2019 03:48

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
[Post New]
Quote [quotePostId = 332950] Recentemente, notei que meu espaço SSD estava diminuindo do nada e realmente não sabia o porquê até encontrar uma pasta com vários arquivos de sombra que o PowerDirector salvou. Apaguei os arquivos e recuperei 200 gb de espaço. Agora, o programa diz para habilitá-los para uma edição mais suave, mas não quero que os arquivos sejam salvos, então o que devo fazer? [/ QuotePostId]

Adding to the optodata showed.
You can change the folder, Export Folders to another HD.
Keys together, Alt + C / File / Expot Folder / Bronse

Thank you
[Post New]
Quote You have a couple of options.

That suggestion to use shadow files is to help PD handle high resolution clips on less-than top-notch hardware. If you have a reasonably new and powerful PC, you may not need shadow files at all, especially if you're working with HD clips and not 4K.

You can easily try working with shadow files disabled and see if your PC can preview your projects at a usable speed. You will likely need to set the preview resolution to HD, instead of Ultra HD or Full HD, though.

If it turns out that you do need to use shadow files, you can set the auto delete setting for temporary files to something shorter than the 30 days default setting, and/or manually delete them when you finish each project to free up SSD space.

Thanks for the tip