Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Waveform Doesn't Match Actual Audio
AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2019 02:36 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PowerDirector 17 and one thing that has frustrated me is how the waveform for a video to be edited can often become unrelated to the actual audio of the video. This is VERY angering because the waveform is what I use to visually help me edit a video. Without that, my editing takes twice as long. This seems to happen after multiple splits of the timeline to "remove and fill" parts of the video I'm cutting out. So the waveform can show silence when I'm talking, and talking when I'm being silent.

Ironically, if I go to audio editor, that initially imports the incorrect waveform from the timeline, but then it slowly refreshes. Unfortunately, the timeline NEVER refreshes the waveform. Further, even shutting down PowerDirector, purging the waveform cache files, and then restarting PowerDirector doesn't fix the problem. I import my project, and after a few minues, the same correct/incorrect waveforms reappear. And yes, some of the segments in the timeline display correct waveforms, though generally at the earlier part of the video.

This problem is really making me regret my purchase. And I certainly won't upgrade to v18 without some sort of guaranteed fix. I need an accurate waveform in my timeline.

Update: I purged the temp MP4 file as well as what I was editing was a combination of two videos being cut and merged into one. However, even without any edits, once the waveform finally appeared, it did not match my audio. My audio was still in synch with my video, but the waveform was utter rubbish. That angers me to no end. I don't understand why some videos import the waveform correctly and others just make something up.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 04. 2019 03:24

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure I've seen that behavior, but first make sure you've got the latest PD17 release (3005), as that has a patch that resolved an issue where sometimes waveforms weren't appearing.

When clearing the temp files, sometimes you have to create a new project and then close PD and reopen it to free up the temp files so they can then be deleted. See this post for more info.
AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure I've seen that behavior, but first make sure you've got the latest PD17 release (3005), as that has a patch that resolved an issue where sometimes waveforms weren't appearing.

I'm using v17.0.3005.0, so that should be the correct version. I've never had waveforms not show up. Sometimes, it seems to take an insanely long time for them to show up, but they've always shown up.

When clearing the temp files, sometimes you have to create a new project and then close PD and reopen it to free up the temp files so they can then be deleted. See this post for more info.

I didn't have any problems deleting the temp files. I'm just frustrated that this didn't resolve the issue. Having a waveform completely divorced from the actual audio is just nuts. I have noticed it before, but those video projects were only ~12 minutes with minimal editing. This current (nightmare) project was about 1.5 total hours. But there were long stretches of silences that I was planing to use to indicate where I could skip to in order to get things done speedily. WIthout an accurate waveform, I couldn't make quick, accurate cuts.

You know, when I first purchased this product, outside of having to learn how to frame step instead of doing the more natural Ctrl-left/right cursor keye on the timeline, I didn't have a problem with the product. But in the last six weeks, I've started encountering more and more issues. And this last one sent me through the roof since the waveform made editing insanely long. And then the software ultimately crashed and I lost hours of work on top of hours of sleep.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2019 20:33

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This behavior has been reported with video having a variable bit rate audio like mp3 and with variable frame rate videos like from cell phones. See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50055.page . This tutorial may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3yn4SDSQI&fbclid=IwAR24hySfR-In6GTYJu0n26u_di3FMDgC3J7I4ZcwLBm1FMXFNU29JJxqfLI .

You could try producing the video without editing first to give it a constant frame rate and a constant audio bit rate so the audio waveform may be matched better with the video.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote And this last one sent me through the roof since the waveform made editing insanely long. And then the software ultimately crashed and I lost hours of work on top of hours of sleep.

It might be too late for this now, but make sure you have the project auto save option enabled so you can recover your most recent edits in the event of a crash.

Although the image below shows the save interval set to 10 minutes, I set mine at 3:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2019 00:11

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This behavior has been reported with video having a variable bit rate audio like mp3 and with variable frame rate videos like from cell phones. See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50055.page . This tutorial may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3yn4SDSQI&fbclid=IwAR24hySfR-In6GTYJu0n26u_di3FMDgC3J7I4ZcwLBm1FMXFNU29JJxqfLI .

You could try producing the video without editing first to give it a constant frame rate and a constant audio bit rate so the audio waveform may be matched better with the video.

Oh...this gives me an idea. I used to have OBS auto-render my MKV files to MP4 before I edited. I recently switched 'cause I felt it was a waste of time and space. But maybe I do need to render them in MP4 from MKV, then edit the MP4. I'll give that a try. That said, I have CBR set in OBS, both for the stream and for the recording. So I'm not sure why it would become VBR in the recording.

Update: Using the MediaInfo software from the tutorial link, my bit rate mode was set to Constant. So that wasn't the issue, though I'm going to see if this handles an MP4 better than an MKV.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2019 22:06

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Oh...this gives me an idea. I used to have OBS auto-render my MKV files to MP4 before I edited. I recently switched 'cause I felt it was a waste of time and space. But maybe I do need to render them in MP4 from MKV, then edit the MP4. I'll give that a try. That said, I have CBR set in OBS, both for the stream and for the recording. So I'm not sure why it would become VBR in the recording.

Update: Using the MediaInfo software from the tutorial link, my bit rate mode was set to Constant. So that wasn't the issue, though I'm going to see if this handles an MP4 better than an MKV.

So I've been experimenting. I did a video file where OBS rendered an MP4 file afterward and the two waveforms were identical and correct.

I did another test where the original MKV file has a waveform that is total rubbish in that it has nothing to do with the audio in the video. I made an MP4 from that using PowerDirector 17. The resulting MP4 was had a correct waveform. However, it had lengthy blank audio sections where no audio could be heard from it even though the source MKV file did have audio. So now it looks like I'll have to try that secondary video editing software mentioned in the tutorial video just to see if I can create an MP4 file that will have a correct waveform AND doesn't just drop the audio 'cause "reasons."

That said, the fact that I have to go to other software just to make PowerDirector 17 work is utter rubbish. PD17 should be able to do things properly.
optodata
[Post New]
As you seem to be the only person experiencing this difficulty, it's likely that there's a compatibility issue between PD17 and those specific clips, and a lesser chance that something particular to your computer is what's causing the problem.

If you are comfortable sharing the source files here on the forum, it would be very helpful if you could do the following:

1. Under PD's File menu, there's an option to Pack Project Materials. Please use that and save the project to a cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. and then paste the link to it here. Other people will then be able to download your project exactly as is and will be able to check what the waveforms look like on their systems.

2. It would also be very helpful if you followed the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attached the DxDiag results, as that will give us critical driver and system details.

3. Finally, please take and attach a screenshot or two of the clip and waveform that doesn't match the audio. You can use this forum button for both the DxDiag text file and the screenshot JPG/PNG images

If you're not comfortable sharing these clips, see if you can recreate the issue with other clips that don't contain sensitive content, or submit a tech support request directly from Cyberlink here.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
@optodata -- I will get that requested data as soon as I'm able. Not sure I'll have time tonight with other stuff I have to get done first. However, I am grateful for the opportunity to try to figure out what is going on.
optodata
[Post New]
Whenever you have time to go through the steps and share the project is fine. We're all volunteers here, and we have lives outside of the forum too!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Whenever you have time to go through the steps and share the project is fine. We're all volunteers here, and we have lives outside of the forum too!

I've attached the DxDiag.txt file. I'm putting the project files into a ZIP container because of HUGE files. 😅 I'll add a link once I get it up to my Google Drive. So it will be tomorrow sometime.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
AstroNerdBoy
 Filesize
110 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2019 01:40

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the DxDiag results. I see that I also need to update my nVidia driver, since the EVGA website doesn't yet show that 441.61 was released for their RTX2070!

Otherwise, everything looks good as far as drivers go, but the fact that you say things started crashing about six weeks ago and that Cortana and Waterfox have crashed more often than PD (as shown in the last hundred or so lines of the results) tells me that there are probably some significant issues with your Windows installation.

Here's what I would do, even while you're waiting for your huge project to upload:

1. Uninstall Waterfox

2. Open an admin-level command prompt and type in sfc/ scannow, then press Enter. Let the scan run and see if it detects and fixes any core issues with Windows. You may need to run it more than once if it comes back with unfixable errors the first time.

3. You can also type dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth in the same command prompt window to do a more thorough check/repair cycle. Google for more info on these steps if needed.

4. Reinstall Waterfox

YouTube/optodata

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I couldn't uninstall Waterfox while waiting for the project to upload because that is my primary browser. As such, the project zip file was being uploaded to Google Drive via said browser.

Here's the link to the zip file. <link removed>

The two MKV files are part 1 and 2 of a live stream on Twitch. Those have the bad Waveforms.

The MP4 was one I just generated from PD17. It not only has the lengthy silent bits, but I think the audio may go out of sync. But don't quote me there.

The project file had both videos as a comparison of waveforms.

And now that I've finished posting, I'm going to zip up my Waterfox profile for safe keeping before doing the uninstall. And then I'll follow your remaining steps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2019 19:01

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
The results of the scan...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.476

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

Attached is a screenshot of the waveforms of the two MKV files together, and the MP4 of the same video on the second line. The MKV sections where it appears to be lacking in audio does in fact have tons of audio. However, for the MP4 file, those are where PD17 didn't include the audio from the original source MKV.
[Thumb - PD17-Waveform-01.jpg]
 Filename
PD17-Waveform-01.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
181 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2019 12:50

optodata
[Post New]
I'm glad that the SFC utility found and repaired some corrupted files. Hopefully that will help your system be more stable, as will reinstalling Waterfox.

I have PD18 and it successfully generates waveforms for both clips on track 1, but the bigger clip on Track 2 shows the exact blank pattern as in your screenshot.

For fun I tried swapping the tracks but I still end up with the p13 clip having the same blank sections even when it's on Track 1. You may want to contact tech supprt and include the URL of this thread so they can download your clips and project and test it themselves on PD17
[Thumb - PD18 waveforms.png]
 Filename
PD18 waveforms.png
[Disk]
 Description
2 good, 1 bad
 Filesize
204 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm glad that the SFC utility found and repaired some corrupted files. Hopefully that will help your system be more stable, as will reinstalling Waterfox.

I have PD18 and it successfully generates waveforms for both clips on track 1, but the bigger clip on Track 2 shows the exact blank pattern as in your screenshot.

For fun I tried swapping the tracks but I still end up with the p13 clip having the same blank sections even when it's on Track 1. You may want to contact tech supprt and include the URL of this thread so they can download your clips and project and test it themselves on PD17

That's the MP4 file. Those blank patters are actually "correct" in that when PD17 took track 1's MKV files and made track 2's MP4 file, it blanked out the audio. So if you play those sections for track 2, you'll find that there is no audio even though clearly, there was audio in the original.

I'm loathe to spend money on PD18. I literally purchasd PD17 and then days later, PD18 was released.

Anyway, I'll see how to contact support with the issue. Thanks for all of the assistance.

Update: I've got my ticket in. Now just waiting for a response.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2019 17:59

optodata
[Post New]
Quote I'm loathe to spend money on PD18. I literally purchasd PD17 and then days later, PD18 was released.

That happened to me many years ago before I knew that new versions typically came out in September, and I think you should contact customer service with your situation and request an update to PD18.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2019 20:04

YouTube/optodata

AstroNerdBoy [Avatar]
[Post New]

That happened to me many years ago before I knew that new versions typically came out in September, and I think you should contact customer service with your situation and request an update to PD18.

Just wanted to do a final update. Tech Support finally got back to me. And the only solution they had was to have me upgrade to v18, which they kindly provided to me for no charge. And man, it is nice having proper waveforms to work with.

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance in this issue.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Moderation note: OP informed us that his issue is solved, so we will close the thread so it can act as a reference for other users.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do