Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do not use cyberlink
Todd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2009 17:08 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I bought a new BD burner/player just over 2 months ago, when i first bought it it worked fine. It still works fine for older BD's but the software is not updated to play the new movies. Cyberlink does not have phone support unless you pay 29.95 for it. i have put in tickets and posted on forums and still no resolution. No software is worth it if it is not updated and if you can not get any answers to problems. DO NOT BUY OR USE THIS SOFTWARE.
Philip [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2008 08:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'll second that, I rented Fighting and State of Play from Blockbuster, told my mate to come round, neither of them played, i only managed to get into the menu then the computer locks up. Older discs play fine. Don't expect to be able to put new rentals in your drive and them actually work.

COME ON Cyberlink, this is not bleeding edge technology. I have upgraded with you from Ultra 7 to Ultra 8 and now Ultra 9 and NONE of these versions have been capable players. You assume that the next version will work. More fool me and anyone else who buys this software. If the reason that the new discs don't play is because of Java/Encryption keys then you have had 3 revisions of this software and still haven't managed to get it right. Get the mechanism in place and get it working. I feel like asking for a refund of my £8 rental fees as your software does not actually play Blu-ray. I am wishing i had just bought a stand alone player. This is not software for playing Blu-ray. It doesn't play current titles. One very disgruntled punter. If i had bought a Blu-ray player from a store and it didn't play discs i could ask for my money back. Or get an exchange. What do you do? Ask the customer to pay another £30 for telephone support. That is not customer service. I downloaded Arcsoft total media theatre 3 and it played first try, imagine my amazement!!!!!!
Kai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2009 13:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
You guys should try updating the firmware on your BD-Roms. I have the very popular LG BD-Rom which has an automatic firmware updater software and I have not ran across a BD that I cannot play with any 3rd party BD Player software (which includes PowerDVD 7.3 to 9)
Todd [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have the LG BD player and the firmware is updated. I tried arcsoft free trial software and it worked perfectly with the new BD's. Cyberlink is still trying to get thier updates out. they are not compatable with new BD's. It is not my computer, firmware or player, it is cyberlink software that does not work.
Matthew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2009 20:44 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I tried to give Cyberlink since, I used there product for years but now for BD there org player that came with the bd player worked fine for it's 30 days .. now when paid for the software and followed tech supports advise for almost 25 days and the program still doesn't launch nor can they fix it, i was adv to go for refund since there waiting for the next update to see if it helps me.. and no one knows when that be.... makes me think just to wait for windows 7 since it's sapost to be able to Nativity read and play BD's
Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2008 22:33 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
you all need to relax alittle you go out and purchase equiptment and software for a rapidly progessing media and compain cause its not instintanious. If you want to have cutting edge technology you have to ride the wave as it goes through. Doesnt matter how hard you fight the current your still gonna end up in the same place. Don't blame the software writers because hollywood can't pick a format and stick with it for a while. Besides 6 months per update isnt that bad. You could be using a component style blu-ray an dit would seem as if it worked better, only thing is it will be downgrading the experience to something it can handle. In conclusion you need to suck it up children and enjoy the movie in its full glory after you get you the next update trust me in the end it is well worth it. Even if it can be frustraiong as hell at times.
Todd [Avatar]
[Post New]
We don't need to relax and wait for slow companies to get thier crap together if you would read the past posts you would know that other companies have the update available. I downloaded the arcsoft free trial and watched the movie immediately. Who do we go to, to get our money back if we rent a video and can't play it because the slow companies are too lazy to get the updates done in a timely manner. If you believe that waiting 3 or more weeks for an update is ok then more power to you but for the rest of us, that have gone to a real company, we will be watching the video while you sit and wait for updates.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2009 23:16

Matthew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2009 20:44 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
If a program vender can not keep up with the tech. times then they shale be disregarded as old and obsolete, Why wait when they offer a program that's stated to work with the new tech? Then again people with pashent's run out when you spend over 100$ for a product that's stated to work with then new tech, I even gave them 25 day's to figure out why. Can't wait to see how bad the forums jump when windows 7 is released, which as vista beta was way different then act. release lets see how badly 7 goes....

Simon [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 07, 2008 06:39 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Well I have no issues at all with PDVD 9.

It plays all my BD titles no problem and works very nicely with my Auzentech HomeTheater HD soundcard apart from the issue with it not holding the HDMI passthrough mode which has aparently been fixed with the latest patch.
Andrew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is simple amazing how some one can complain that some thong isn't top of the line like they paid for. Then three lines later you find out they are running version 7.3 which you can correct if im wrong is a 4 year old program, not exactly cutting edge tech. Lucky it still works truthfully should be happy they even suppoort it when the have 3 version that have been released since then.
So as i stated in my other reply get over yourself. If your running less than powerdvd 9 it is not the latest and greatest, simple fact.
That is why they offer a special price for those of us who keep up to date. I will eventually upgrade just to maintain this privallage. After all we do still live in a capitalist society. Even if not for long.
Todd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, you really amaze me at your ignorance. First off the 7.3 or the 8 or 9 is not a measure of updates or how new the product is its like buying a car with more options. Secondly if they still sell 7.3 then they have to update it and support it. thirdly you completely miss the point, which is the speed in which they update thier compatability with the new formats. If your still waiting till the 1st or 2nd week in october to be able to watch X-Men, then good for you as i said before i downloaded a free trial from arcsoft and it played it for me last week. I am now using the full version from arcsoft and have had no problems with any BD's. and lastly you should spent more time learning how to spell "thing" and "it is" and less time talking about things you know nothing about.
Andrew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Really thats amazing cause out of all the post out here i have not seen anyone that is running powerdvd 9 complaining about compatability. Amazingly it is just us poor slobs that haven't upgraded yet. i.e. simons post above. Therefore i conclude that if we where not behind the times we would have been able to watch it already. If there was no differrence between the versions why the new releases. why do they not just cont. to update versionn 1.0. No need to escalate to version 9. oh right thatts because powerdvd 9 is the latest and greatest. it is the way the world go round. The fact that you download someone elses brand new version and it works roves my point, being that i would bet you purchase a 4 year old program from them. bet you paid more than 50 bucks to which is all it would cost me to get 9, except i am a cheap bastard and if i can wait another week and save a couple dollars i will.
so again you just need to get over your rant. especially since you aren't even using the product anymore

JEREMIAH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2009 17:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am gonna have to agree with Andrew here....When I got my LG and noticed it had 7.0 version, I got the update for 7.3..BUT the second that there were issues with 7.3 for any bluray movie I KNEW (from experience) that there had to be a better solution...and there was. PowerDVD9. If you read outside this forum, you will see that there are literally thousands of forumers talking about 7.3 & 8 not working properly...CLUE?? I think so.

Now, if you keep searching you will see that there is a tiny percentage of those who have upgraded to 9 and have had little problems...CLUE...I think so!??...So, unless you have 9 I would suggest stop complaining about these issues. You have excellent hardware, why bother with cheap software and do your FIRMWARE updates....geez...it's like we are living in the 90's here!??

If you know anything about software and hardware compatabilities, you know what you need to get the product to work. If there are issues, the supplier will back it up...maybe frustrating but you end up getting your money back in the end right?

I hate it when I hear people trying to compare FREE software to those that you have to purchase because "you get what you pay for". If you were SMART, you went and bought the expensive blueray and not the cheap bulldog crap ones....hardware makes a big difference too. Not saying that it pertains accross the board BUT sometimes it does. If you look at DVD media and compatibility issues there are with burners for data...NOT ALL MEDIA WORKS...same with software to hardware.

I do agree that if there are issues watching movies while playing specific PowerDVD 9 then I would not complain...I would wait for the update or research it. NO Biggie, because I know that the software is a gamble and it will still play a *&^*% load of other movies until the update releases.
Todd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes Jeremiah i will have to agree with most of what you said. It was very well written and thought out. The one part i will have to disagree with though, is i was not comparing freeware with paid for software. I probably did not specify that very well so i will restate what i meant. The issue is; cyberlink takes way to long to release updates to play the new BD's. The fact that other companies have the updates in thier free trials (try before you buy) three weeks before cyberlink has it out for thier paying customers tells you that they are too slow. I have changed companies and i use arcsoft and have had no issues what so ever. The point is; no matter which version you use if the company does not update the software, its worthless with the new media. And yes i did not buy a cheap player . And to andrew the differences in 7.3, 8, and 9 is not that they shoud or are able to play more BD's the difference is addons. Its like if you buy a corvette with stick shift, or pay the extra for a corvette with automatic transmission, or with air conditioning and power windows. They are both still sold and maintained one just has more options, wich is a way for the companies to make more money. Also I don't think you read the forums very well before you posted, because the second post on this thread says that he has version 9 and it doesn't work. And if you look at other threads for the X-Men issues you will see that others had problems with all versions of cyberlink.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 24. 2009 18:54

Andrew [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are correct about that todd. The only problem is that he said he upgraded to 8 then 9. There in lies the problem. There is something with powerdvd which is not upgrade freindly, if you look around you see that there are all sorts of problems with upgrades. Then you read further and you will notice that the fix is to uninstall and reinstall the newer version fresh from the server. This works almost everytime. So am still correct, but is alright im used to it. Second,a new codec for the newer blu-rays is not much more than another option. kind of like the difference between am and fm radio. Both are similar, yet they are differnt enough that they require different recievers ie. drivers. Being that you can watch the old blu-rays just not the new.
: : : : : : : : : :
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 20, 2008 07:17 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
If a program says it supports a specific type of format, it damn well better support that specific type of format. PowerDVD 8 Ultra and PowerDVD 9 Ultra both say they support Blu-ray discs. They had better patch BOTH programs if some new format hits the streets and renders either program unable to play that type of Blu-ray disc! No one should be forced to pay extra and upgrade to PowerDVD 9 Ultra from PowerDVD 8 Ultra to play a Blu-ray disc. CyberLink must patch BOTH programs if such a situation presents itself.

It's called customer service and support. It's called common sense. It's called good business sense. It's called doing what the product claims it does. Myriads of other companies release patches within days for every kind of glitch, bug, hardware upgrade, software conflict, resource conflict..you name it. There's NO reason why CyberLink can't do the same. Whatever Blu-ray disc I throw into my PC right this minute had better play using my copy of 8 Ultra. Now, for example, if Blu-ray II comes out, that's a different story. I'd obviously have to buy the product that supports Blu-ray II.

Telling people to relax and wait (a very short wait is understandable), or upgrade, or even implying they should upgrade to a newer version is ludicrous. If version 7 says it plays Blu-ray, then it had better also.