Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Custom resolutions in custom profiles?
[Post New]
Whenever I produce videos, there's always these black bars on the left and right sides of the video, and I've been getting complaints about that. The "Crop/Zoom/Pan" tool can't get rid of them for some reason. Someone recommended I render my videos in a 1500x1050 resolution to make it 1080p-like but have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The only issue is that the program doesn't allow you to set custom resolutions in custom profiles. Manually editing this in the UserProfile.ini file causes it to default to the lowest available choice rather than what you put.

How can I add my own resolution settings, or add presets to the list of available render resolutions? I don't want to have to pay monthly for Adobe Premier if at all possible.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2019 18:07

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whenever I produce videos, there's always these black bars on the left and right sides of the video, and I've been getting complaints about that. The "Crop/Zoom/Pan" tool can't get rid of them for some reason. Someone recommended I render my videos in a 1500x1050 resolution to make it 1080p-like but have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The only issue is that the program doesn't allow you to set custom resolutions in custom profiles. Manually editing this in the UserProfile.ini file causes it to default to the lowest available choice rather than what you put.

How can I add my own resolution settings, or add presets to the list of available render resolutions? I don't want to have to pay monthly for Adobe Premier if at all possible.

Please let us know what is the source resolution of your video files and what aspect ratio you have the project set to. Please also let us know what is the aspect ratio and the desired resolution that you want to produce to.

The 1500/1050=1.43 which is not a 4:3 aspect ratio. 1400/1050=1.33 which is a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Please supply the necessary information.
[Post New]
The original video itself came from a PS2 game, so it's probably 640x480. Since it was a PS2-specific format, I had to convert it, and that caused it to become 1080p, making the black bars to appear on the sides.

But that doesn't even answer my question. How can I add my own custom resolutions? I don't want others to do it for me, I want to be able to do it myself. I find it extremely hard to believe that PD doesn't have this feautre. Then again, an unneccessary bitrate limit was added and no one could tell me exactly why it was added, only "here's a workaround", so I guess I'm not too surprised.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As this is a user-to-user forum, nobody here typically has any insight to why Cyberlink did or didn't implement various features. Since we're users, the advice here is often in the form of workarounds, which are meant to help people accoomplish things that PD may not do natively.

For your current situation, I can think of several solutions. You can use a different converter or use different settings to keep your original PS2 clips in their native resolution. When you edit them in PD, you should then be able to produce them correctly.

You can also use the custom profile editor built in to PD's Produce module to make many kinds of custom settings, or manually edit the Profile.ini file to set values outside the limits PD imposes when using the custom editing tool. There are lots of posts on the forum already detailing the exact steps.

To get rid of the black bars in your already-produced clips, you could use the steps described in this post.

I hope you'll find at least one of these suggestions helpful.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Two problems with the workarounds you suggested:

1. The video files cannot be kept original because it's a strange format, they have to be converted to a resolution with black bars in order to for them to be recognized by both PD and Windows.

2. I tried editing the config file directly, and that didn't work. For example, I created a custom profile then edited it in the config file, changing the resolution to 1500x1050, an option not in the drop-down menu. Upon launching PD, it automatically removed my custom settings and defaulted to the lowest choice on the drop-down menu. Changing the config file may work for most things, but not render resolution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2019 01:22

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did not see the suggestion from optodata for those workarounds that you claim. Your solutions won't work. You may want to chop off those black sides from the video using the link that optodata supplied. That is one of the solution that will work. I can think of another one too that may work using the tools in PD17.

You can supply say a 5 to 10 second video sample that users in this forum can check out here.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 2. I tried editing the config file directly, and that didn't work. For example, I created a custom profile then edited it in the config file, changing the resolution to 1500x1050, an option not in the drop-down menu. Upon launching PD, it automatically removed my custom settings and defaulted to the lowest choice on the drop-down menu. Changing the config file may work for most things, but not render resolution.

I know you've had trouble getting the profile.ini file to work on previous threads, but I assure you that you can create almost any resolution with it. I created one with tomasc's 4:3 ratio (1400x1050/30p) and gave it a 30MBs bitrate.

As you can see, PD fully accepts these settings. Make sure you've selected "Custom" under Profile type:

After producing the sample skateboard clip, MediaInfo comfirms that the clip is 1400x1050:

Opening the produced clip in VLC, Windows Media Player or Win10's Movies & TV player all show the clip as 4:3 with no bars along any edge.

Both the produced clip and the profile.ini settings I used to make it are in this OneDrive folder, so feel free to download and test them out on your end.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2019 02:16

[Post New]
Sorry for the late response.

I tried the profile you provided, but just like before it overrided the settings you put and defaulted to the lowest available preset. Here's a screenshot of what the profile looks like when viewed in the program:

https://imgur.com/a/E0Dl5vB

As you can see, rather than showing the custom resolution you put there, it's defaulted to "320x420 (1/4 Screen)". This is exactly what's happened to me when I try it. I have no idea how it works for you.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are making too many mistakes. Your screenshot shows that your project is in the 16:9 aspect ratio and you try to make a custom profile for the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Can you supply say a 5 to 10 sec. sample of the converted 1080p video that you claim to one drive or google drive to share. Other users will be able to check it out and can supply a workable solution.
optodata
[Post New]
No, that's the UX issue that prevents you from creating this type of custom profile, and it's exactly why you have to create the profile outside of PD.

That screen is where you would enter new settings to create a new profile. You don't need to do that because the profile is already configured. When you click on the Profile Name tab, you can see that the actual resolution is 1400x1050, as promised.

Please don't make any changes or try to create a new profile. Simply don't open that settings tool and just produce your clip as is. Everything should work as expected!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2019 13:46

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
You're right, it does work. However there's still one issue - since it displays "320x420 (1/4 Screen)", I can't set the bitrate higher than 10,000. Almost none of my videos have a bitrate of 10,000 or less.

Edit: After producing one video using this preset, the resolution in the Profile Name menu got auto-set to 320x240. Do I have to set it back each time I produce a video?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2019 13:52

optodata
[Post New]
Quote You're right, it does work. However there's still one issue - since it displays "320x420 (1/4 Screen)", I can't set the bitrate higher than 10,000. Almost none of my videos have a bitrate of 10,000 or less.

I'm glad you got it to work, and again, you can set any bitrate you want in the profile.ini settings. Please don't even bother with the built-in profile editor, because you will keep running in to roadblocks with your specific needs. This profile is already set at 30,000 - how much higher do you want to go? My test video is 1400x1050/30p 30Mbps (30,000kbps) as expected.

Quote Edit: After producing one video using this preset, the resolution in the Profile Name menu got auto-set to 320x240. Do I have to set it back each time I produce a video?

No, but I do think you should stop clicking anything on the Produce screen other than Start and whether to use Fast video rendering technology or not. As soon as you click on any of the editing buttons, PD might apply one of the pre-programmed limits which would affect your production. If you simply click on the Produce tab, then click Start and Back to the Edit page, everything will be fine.

If for any reason you make a mistake and you do see the following screen, simply click on Cancel (DO NOT CLICK OK) and your producing won't be affected:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2019 17:01

[Post New]
Yet another nonsensical limitation that the devs went out of their way to add for no reason. It serves no purpose other than to limit what you can do - if it works by manually overrriding it in the config files, why add additional code specifically to prevent you from doing these things? There's no technical roadblocks. They must be trying to get me to stop using PD.

Imagine if Google made an update that broke the functionality of adblockers, but then someone found a workaround, and Google didn't go after people who used this workaround and never patched it. "If you want to block ads, use the workaround provided." I know no one on these forums a dev, but it's pretty sad when the devs don't oversee or make posts on their own forum discussing their own products that they develop and sell.

They're practically trying to get me to sign up for Adobe Premier.