Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dim brightness outside window on video
MrPadded [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2014 02:42 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys.

I have a still scene (meaning only the actor is moving) the camera is stationary... The scene needs to take place at dusk but it was filmed at midday. We left the window in the footage for light with the idea to dim outside where the window is in the corner of the frame (which is too sunny).

Surely there's a way but I cannot find this?

Basically I want to keep the brightness of inside and dim what appears outside?

Please help I've been trying to do this for hours.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2019 20:35

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You need to use Gamma correction. I don't know which version of PD18/365 you have, but the subscription version should have two FX with that ability (Gamma Correction and New Blue Gamma Corrector).

If you need more assistance, please take a screenshot and attach it here so other people can give it a whirl.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can also do masking to fix the window brightness problem. Try this: Put the video clip on track 1 and a duplicate on track 2. Use Fix/Enhance/Color Adjustment and lower the exposure appropriate for the window for the clip on track 2. Open mask designer for the clip on track 2 also. Choose a rectangular mask appropriate for the window, uncheck maintain aspect ratio and resize to place it on the window only. You can feather the mask if you want.

You should have a clip with the window darkened. You can readjust the exposure and the mask to get it perfect. I just tried it and it looks good.
MrPadded [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You need to use Gamma correction. I don't know which version of PD18/365 you have, but the subscription version should have two FX with that ability (Gamma Correction and New Blue Gamma Corrector).

If you need more assistance, please take a screenshot and attach it here so other people can give it a whirl.

I'm not sure how to upload an image on here so I'll link to it. https://imgur.com/a/waeybrL

Basically the window on the right.

Thanks for all your help
MrPadded [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You need to use Gamma correction. I don't know which version of PD18/365 you have, but the subscription version should have two FX with that ability (Gamma Correction and New Blue Gamma Corrector).

How Do I move the gamma correction only over the window?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How Do I move the gamma correction only over the window?

You don't. Tomasc and I are suggesting two different approaches. If you use GC, it applies to the entire frame which makes it well suited even if things move around. Tomasc's approach is specific to the light from the window, and will work nicely for this clip because the camera and room are stationary

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
MrPadded [Avatar]
[Post New]

You don't. Tomasc and I are suggesting two different approaches. If you use GC, it applies to the entire frame which makes it well suited even if things move around. Tomasc's approach is specific to the light from the window, and will work nicely for this clip because the camera and room are stationary

Thanks for your help!