Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SD to progressive Blu Ray still has interlaced artifacts
brmanuk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2019 20:32 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I'm trying to convert an old vhs tape to Blu Ray but the resulting video has a lot of interlaced jaggie artifacts. I captured the VHS using the lossless lagarith codec and trimmed it in PD17 with project set to 4:3. I then tried to export it as a Blu Ray (which weirdly only gave me the option of 16:9?!) as h.264 HD 1920x1080/50p (28 mps).

When I check with mediainfo, it tells me the video is "progressive" so why does it show interlaced and jaggy artifacts?

I then set the project to 16:9 in order to avoid the image being stretched and while it maintained the aspect ratio, there were black bars above and below the video which I did not expect.

Any ideas on why the black bars are appearing above and below?

Many thanks - I'd really appreciate some help with this!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2019 20:47

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you want progressive then deinterlace using QTGMC in Selurs Hybrid. Export as lossless and use that file in PD. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
brmanuk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you want progressive then deinterlace using QTGMC in Selurs Hybrid. Export as lossless and use that file in PD.

Thank you for your reply!

So am I correct in thinking that it's not possible to deinterlace in PD17? That's disappointing.

Would you be able to suggest which settings I need to use for BR compliancy?

Many thanks for your kind help.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 06. 2019 23:07

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So am I correct in thinking that it's not possible to deinterlace in PD17? That's disappointing.

No. PD can easily deinterlace clips simply by producing to a progressive format.

However, Barry is sharing his many years of experince in steering you to the best way he's found to do it if you aren't happy with PD's results.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That is correct, I always try PD first. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
VHS is a mostly nasty format but thankfully it existed and allowed for the average family to save memories.
At the risk of driving people here nuts...analog tape should be captured with a quality workflow and Time Base Correction.
If you plan on any restoration other than cuts, you should capture in a lossless AVI codec such as MagicYUV, HuffYuv, Lagareth, or UTvideo in 720x480. PowerDirector cannot do this. I admit this is a purist approach.
What equipment did you capture with? VCR, dongle, etc. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
brmanuk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote VHS is a mostly nasty format but thankfully it existed and allowed for the average family to save memories.
At the risk of driving people here nuts...analog tape should be captured with a quality workflow and Time Base Correction.
If you plan on any restoration other than cuts, you should capture in a lossless AVI codec such as MagicYUV, HuffYuv, Lagareth, or UTvideo in 720x480. PowerDirector cannot do this. I admit this is a purist approach.
What equipment did you capture with? VCR, dongle, etc.

I captured using Virtual Dub, a USB dongle (with TBC) and encoded using Lagareth 720x480

As I said, the video PD produced looked horrendous. There were lots of interlacing artifacts, but weirdly mediainfo said the footage was progressive. Not sure why - perhaps there was an error on my part.

Thanks for your help, in the end I downloaded Hybrid and played around with it and managed to get some good results.

If I encode a video in Hybrid and make it BR compliant, will PD17 still re-encode the video when I make a BR disc?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Some AVI do not show as interlaced in Mediainfo, but if you captured as you say, trust me, it's interlaced and top field first.
For Hybrid I bob deinterlace to 60P. Export as progressive 60P AVI lossless, so when PD renders to blueray specs it will be the first lossy compression, so it should be no problem.
You say your dongle has TBC? Can you expand on that? My JVC has a line TBC, and I have a TBC-1000 for frame sync, and my backup is a Panasonic DMR-ES15 for psuedo TBC if needed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2019 21:39

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
dave_van_damn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2019 02:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Some AVI do not show as interlaced in Mediainfo, but if you captured as you say, trust me, it's interlaced and top field first.
For Hybrid I bob deinterlace to 60P. Export as progressive 60P AVI lossless, so when PD renders to blueray specs it will be the first lossy compression, so it should be no problem.

Ahh I see, yes, so render it as lossless and let PD compress it. That makes sesne.

edit: My original AVI is 25fps, would encoding at 60P cause any issues?

Quote You say your dongle has TBC? Can you expand on that? My JVC has a line TBC, and I have a TBC-1000 for frame sync, and my backup is a Panasonic DMR-ES15 for psuedo TBC if needed.

The USB dongle thing I use is one made by a British company. They advertise that it has TBC (whether or not that's true I don't know). I've not had any issues with sync or dropped frames but I've had a lot of inserted frames when using the settings they suggest on VirtualDub. I also use a Panasonic DVD recorder as a psuedo TBC. Here's their website with specs https://www.video-2-pc.co.uk/

Many thanks for your help. I've read a lot of your posts in the past and you seem to really know a lot about video editing

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 09. 2019 03:41

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I seriously think the TBC is just marketing bull.
As for 25i to 60P, better to 50P. Hybrid should do that on it's own during the bob deinterlace.
If Cyberlink integrated Hybrid to PD, they'd be the first and last choice of NLE. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)