Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 - Cannot import Apple ProRes files
Ralph715 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2018 16:52 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote <snip>
Based on everything you've posted, I do think that updating from Win7 is the best way to go, especially since you were able to get the clips working in PD18 the first time you tried it.

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a couple of days, but business calls and all that...

Anyway, I have done some more testing and here's what I found out.

First, I made a brand new clone of the WIN7 working system.

The cloned WIN7 system runs PD17 and PD18 just file, ProRes files import, edit and produce properly.

Then I cleaned up and uninstalled a barrel full of stuff not related to video editing. That lightened the drive by about 50 GB of files (I told you I had a bunch of stuff on it!)

After the cleaning process, PD17 and PD18s still worked as expected. So far, so good.

Next, I upgraded the cleaned up WIN7 clone drive to WIN10. Testing showed that PD17 works OK as far as importing ProRes files is concerned, but editing is very slow, and producing requires about 4x the run time as it does with WIN7, making PD17 effectively unusable. Unfortunately, PD18 crashes when attempting to import ProRes files.

Next, I installed WIN10 on a brand new drive and installed PD17 and PD18 on it.

Neither PD17 nor PD18 will import ProRes files without crashing the programs.

It appears to me that WIN10 is doing something to the system that causes PD to blow up when encountering ProRes files. Whether Cyberlink can locate and fix the problem is unknown, but I hope that they do.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this further, I will be happy to post the DxDiag files for each of the test systems.

Currently, I am setting up to compare all the loaded system components in each system to see if I can find something that is missing from the WIN10 setups. It's a long shot - and it may not work - but at this point, that's about all I have to go on. In the meantime, I will carry on using my WIN7 setup for video editing.

Ralph
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Enuff is enough! Your win 10 installer disc may have corrupt data like mine or the hard drive needs a quick format if truly new or a normal format if used for some time to get rid of the corrupt data. You can obtain the win 10 iso for free like here: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/260524-download-windows-10-free or here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 . Start with this new fresh install of win 10.

The sample ProRes 422 you uploaded earlier works in my PD14, PD15, and PD17 under win 7 although it is supposed to be new for PD18. You can try the last hotfix I posted for transparent ProRes 444 to see if it helps your case.

You can also contact support for possible help in getting this issue resolved. Good Luck...
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Oh, what at pain! I'm really sorry to hear this.

In your original post, you wrote:
... I then upgraded the OS to WIN10 over WIN7 on the cloned WIN7 drive, and found that after upgrading from WIN7 to WIN10, PD18 still handles ProRes files correctly.

That's explicitly why I suggested that you clone the W7 and update to W10; however, running the same sequence a second time seems to have given you different results.

I don't want you to spend enless hours on this, but if you're willing to do the upgrade route again, I'd suggest upgrading the cloned image to W10 before you do any cleaning. That seems to be the key, because the existing W7 clone works, and the upgrade of that to W10 works, but PD17 runs slow and PD18 can't handle the ProRes clips IF the orginal installation is changed/trimmed/cleaned prior to the W10 upgrade.

That strongly suggests to me that you inadvertently removed some critical support software or existing configuration that PD18 needs. Ideally, one more upgrade attempt will let you run PD18 with these clips while tech support is diagnosing the issue. Have you filled out a support ticket for this already?

If not, please do so here as the process can take days or weeks before a patch or hotfix is released.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2019 21:55

Ralph715 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I’m back again… I had to put the PD18/ProRes file import problem on the side for a while since work got rather busy.

After some further tests, I decided that regardless of the outcome of the file import problem, the computer I had planned to use was just not going to be fast enough for my needs. So, I broke out the checkbook and hit the Black Friday sales to assemble a new computer.

After some careful shopping and double checking prices, I assembled a reasonably usable machine. It includes an MSI Prestige 570 Creation motherboard, an AMD Ryzen 9-3900X CPU, 64 GB of G.Skill RAM, two Samsung 870 EVO SSD drives for the WIN10 OS and editing, and two WD 8TB hard drives for duplicated backups and archive storage. I retained the Zotac GT-1660-Ti graphics card that I was using in the previous computer. It’s a bit underpowered as compared to the CPU, but it will do for now.

I installed an 850 watt power supply, which is definitely overkill, since at 100% AMD CPU and 100% graphics CPU simultaneously, the total power draw is only 330 VA. But I got the power supply for the same cost as a 450 watt unit, so it works out OK.

I also added a dual fan Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, but after some thermal measurements I found that the stock AMD cooler which was supplied with the CPU would have been sufficient. However, the Noctua cooler exhausts the hot air away from the motherboard and RAM, whereas the stock cooler directs the hot air against the motherboard and RAM. Needless to say, I prefer having everything cooler rather than warmer.

The case is a Rosewill THOR V-2, which is on the large end of the size range, but that makes it easier for the four cooling fans to keep things cool and the extra space in the case makes it a lot easier to get at things when I need to work on the computer. I have too many machines around here that are the proverbial “two pounds of junk in a 1 pound box,” so I figured I’d make it easy on myself this time around.

After assembling the computer and running it through some initial tests and setting up the BIOS and hard drives, I installed the latest & greatest version of Windows 10. After checking for all the latest updates, I installed PD18 and registered the program. So far, so good. Now the fun begins…

Using 1080P or 4K files from a GoPro-style camera, I found that the rendering speed ran between 4 to 5 times faster than real time. O joy! Maybe I can get my life back when I am rendering files… Then the dark clouds appeared on the horizon…

Attempting to import any ProRes file results in the same program crash as it did on the other computers. And yes, I did try the import both without and with QuickTime installed, with the same results either way. From this, I conclude that the problem is either within Windows 10 or PD18 and is not CPU hardware specific, as the first computers used Intel CPU’s and the new computer uses an AMD CPU.

Grumble… I guess it’s time to file a ticket with Support or take up basket weaving…

Just for grins, I have attached the DxDiag file from this computer. I don’t see anything wrong that catches my eye, other than the diagnostic reports at the end of the file that report PD has had an app crash. But I don’t know what that’s trying to tell me.

Thanks for reading this ramble.
 Filename
DxDiag-Veronica.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
218 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, you've certainly put in more than you're fair share of effort trying to get a usable system. I don't see any red flags in the DxDiag results for PD-related settings and drivers, although the StoreAgentScanForUpdatesFailure0 crashes at the end of the file imply that Windows Update isn't working correctly.

As JL_JL and I each have PD18 running on Win10 systems and both of us are able to import and work with the sample ProRes files, I can't see this issue as related to that combination, although that's the situation you've experienced on multiple platforms.

As I wrote in my last post, I think CL's tech support should be called in as the higher level techs have remote diagnostics and critical inside tech knowledge that may point exactly to why you've been unable to work with the ProRes clips, despite the wide range of installations and hardware you've tried.

I hope they can get this figured out for you!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Ralph715 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote <snip> As I wrote in my last post, I think CL's tech support should be called in as the higher level techs have remote diagnostics and critical inside tech knowledge that may point exactly to why you've been unable to work with the ProRes clips, despite the wide range of installations and hardware you've tried.

I hope they can get this figured out for you!

Yeah, me too! I did file a problem ticket with Support, and we have been bouncing messages back and fort for a few days. Hopefully they will be able to figure something to fix the problem.

Today I found out something interesting. If I import any file that is NOT ProRes into the Media Room as the first file, then I can successfully import short ProRes files and edit them. It is not necessary to actually include the non-ProRes file in the edit timeline, it just has to be in the Media Room.

When it comes to rendering, short videos of 2 to 3 minutes in length seem to render OK, but longer videos usually crash about half way though the render process.

Tha plot thickens...

Having fun - hope you are too!

Ralph