Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I remove video ghosting when watching videos?
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Mar 30, 2014 12:49 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung 27 inch curved, 144Hz monitor... and when I watch videos, there is ghosting (stuttering) image especially when the camera is panning left and right.

I set Response Time to Normal... but there is still ghosting.

Does anyone have any idea what settings should I make to have smooth videos?

Thank you!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2019 13:23

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung 27 inch curved, 144Hz monitor... and when I watch videos, there is ghosting (stuttering) image especially when the camera is panning left and right.

I set Response Time to Normal... but there is still ghosting.

Does anyone have any idea what settings should I make to have smooth videos?

Thank you!

A computer's GPU driver or the display device settings are the main causes of this issue. Try updating your GPU and checking the settings.

Dave
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Mar 30, 2014 12:49 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
As I read on the internet about this, I found an explanation:

"Motion judder is a natural byproduct of the 24 fps film rate. You will see it if you play a Blu-ray or HD DVD movie in native 24p transmission. How much of it you see will be directly related to how much moderate speed camera panning there is in the movie. The reason the picture judders when the camera pans is because the standard sampling rate of 24 frames per second is not fast enough to fully resolve the motion"

This is exactly what I experience on movies, either with PowerDVD or Youtube.

"One solution to the problem is called frame interpolation. What it does it this: It buffers two or more sequential frames of the film, and evaluates the motion shifts between them. Then it uses this information to create interim frames that are partial steps in the motion sequence between each real frame."

And that's it.

Samsung TV's and other brands have a feature called "Motion" or something like that... but I don't know how to make something similar on my PC monitor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2019 07:47

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Modern mid range and hi end TVs have this so called soap opera effect that can be enabled to give this interpolated frame to smooth out the motion. There is very little lag when using the TV pc input. I used to use a HTPC quite often for this.