Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 & 365 - Unsupported AUDIO when importing
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Which version of premiere did you try it on?
iLB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2012 14:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

I prefer to use PD. Just didn't realize 5.1 support got droped. Using the latest and greatest PD365 on Windows 10. I did try Premier and it does read the audio fine. I still think I'm going to convert and use PD. Just an extra step I guess.

I also use MTS and recently "lost" the sound. I uninstalled KB5001330 from Windows 10 Pro and the issue was resolved. I don't know, probably the problem was caused by a recent update of windows.
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Which version of premiere did you try it on?

Premiere Pro 2021 plays them.
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]

I also use MTS and recently "lost" the sound. I uninstalled KB5001330 from Windows 10 Pro and the issue was resolved. I don't know, probably the problem was caused by a recent update of windows.

I have that patch installed on April 17th. I removed it and reboot but unfortunately my .mts files still don't have audio in PD365
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have that patch installed on April 17th. I removed it and reboot but unfortunately my .mts files still don't have audio in PD365

Could you share one of the files here so people with different systems can check it out?
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]

Could you share one of the files here so people with different systems can check it out?

Good idea.
 Filename
00317.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
video
 Filesize
26688 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
66 time(s)
[Thumb - 1.jpg]
 Filename
1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
track added but 5.1 audio is gone
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
BadWolf, DD5.1, PD can't handle that anymore, older versions could. Only real option is change camera audio record mode or convert files so newer PD can handle them.

Jeff
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Re the commentary about dolby licensing - the last patents expired in 2016, so royalties no longer apply.
This is not the only editor/user forum where this dolby audio topic has been raised - Coral's video studio is afflicted the same way (no audio from dolby clips imported into the latest editor version, running under win7) and has an extensiove number of posts about it. Essentially no one - moderator or user - could explain it, and the application vendor didn't even try. I suspect the same thing happened with many other video editors over the last few years.

However, JL's link above made the situation clear enough: windows/microsoft gazumped the the vendors again. In the latest editor version(s), organic dolby support has been dropped because windows (8.1 and 10) has it. BUT if you are running the newest editor on the older win7/win8 OS, the dolby audio won't be there. As initially reported.
If you don't want to upgrade to the latest OS, then you will have to re-fomat the clips (eg thru handbrake) to convert the dolby audio to something the newer editors will accept.

On the topic of OS upgrade, I personally fought it for years, preferring win7: the hardware was old and I thought it would soon fail (it hasn't), the UI of win7 was much more integrated and friendly, and the reviews of win10 were unencouraging, to say the least. But eventually I did upgrade; painful - many items in the environment (printers, network stores) were not supported in a clean win10 install, and the migrated inplace upgrade led to some software that wouldn't run under win10. But I got it sorted out, and was surprised at several levels: win10 starts and closes much faster than win7, and using the new integral version of Defender, I did not have the various AV interference issues that regularly occurred under win7. The win10 UI is still crap by comparison (designed to integrate with windows phone, now that the phone is history, the UI hasn't been updated) but you do get used to it.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote However, JL's link above made the situation clear enough: windows/microsoft gazumped the the vendors again. In the latest editor version(s), organic dolby support has been dropped because windows (8.1 and 10) has it. BUT if you are running the newest editor on the older win7/win8 OS, the dolby audio won't be there. As initially reported.
If you don't want to upgrade to the latest OS, then you will have to re-fomat the clips (eg thru handbrake) to convert the dolby audio to something the newer editors will accept.

Davidk101, if you followed thread, BadWolf has a WIN10 system. As I indicated, the issue is DD5.1, not DD stereo. So, there is not an upgrade to the OS he can do to get DD5.1 import/export support in PD.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Before we get too far off topic, the issue with BadWolf's clip clearly seems to be the KB5001330 update and is not related to the latest PD365 update.

Here's a screen recording I made after rolling back to the system image I made on Mar 30, just after I'd updated PD365 to build 19.3.2724.0 but before I'd installed any of the April Windows updates:

I then allowed the KB update to be installed, and after rebooting the sound from that same clip was gone when using PD365. I was able to recover the sound by uninstalling the Windows update but that MUST be done with the DISM command due to a permanent servicing stack update.

At the bottom of this page are the exact steps to remove just the feature update (LCU) section. On my system, the full command is dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.928.1.10, but you should probably use the /get-packages option first to be sure you've got the correct name for your system.

The only thing I noticed after doing this is that I no longer have access to my RTX 2070 for producing, but I don't know if that's going to be an issue for anyone else. Since I don't work with 5.1 DD clips by I'm going to restore my most recent system image where everything was working.

I also confirm Jeff's statement that stereo AC3 (Dolby Digital) MTS clips are not affected by the KB issue, and the attached clip should have sound in everyone's PD365/19.
 Filename
00022.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
sample AC3 stereo clip
 Filesize
2976 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
142 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2021 21:33

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
BadWolf’s 00317.MTS clip has DD5.1 audio, not DD stereo. Recently there were users in the FB forum that brought up that DD5.1 audio worked in PD365 when the preferences is set to stereo as optodata has demonstrated. Removing the last windows update fixed it. Although PD355 cannot produce in DD5.1, it can read it on the timeline as the consensus there.

The PD365 spec claims import of DD stereo and DD plus (can mean up to 7.1 supported??). There have been users that claim that DD5.1 can be read but not produced and others that said it can’t be read and not supported. This can be confusing about DD5.1.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

I prefer to use PD. Just didn't realize 5.1 support got droped. Using the latest and greatest PD365 on Windows 10. I did try Premier and it does read the audio fine. I still think I'm going to convert and use PD. Just an extra step I guess.

Hello,

Please check this thread: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84942.page#351451

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
I followed this link, which led to another posted by a moderator regarding the un-install of an MS update (KB5001330). However the link in that MS update to detail doesn't describe anything that has apparent impact on reading audio in a clip.
So I can accept that it is so, but it makes no sense.
optodata
[Post New]
There is new info in the other thread PDM linked to. Basically you may also need to uninstall KB50000842 to get DD5.1 sound back in PD365.
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Before we get too far off topic, the issue with BadWolf's clip clearly seems to be the KB5001330 update and is not related to the latest PD365 update.

Here's a screen recording I made after rolling back to the system image I made on Mar 30, just after I'd updated PD365 to build 19.3.2724.0 but before I'd installed any of the April Windows updates:

I then allowed the KB update to be installed, and after rebooting the sound from that same clip was gone when using PD365. I was able to recover the sound by uninstalling the Windows update but that MUST be done with the DISM command due to a permanent servicing stack update.

At the bottom of this page are the exact steps to remove just the feature update (LCU) section. On my system, the full command is dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.928.1.10, but you should probably use the /get-packages option first to be sure you've got the correct name for your system.

The only thing I noticed after doing this is that I no longer have access to my RTX 2070 for producing, but I don't know if that's going to be an issue for anyone else. Since I don't work with 5.1 DD clips by I'm going to restore my most recent system image where everything was working.

I also confirm Jeff's statement that stereo AC3 (Dolby Digital) MTS clips are not affected by the KB issue, and the attached clip should have sound in everyone's PD365/19.

Thanks so much for the detailed information. This is what makes this community great! I really appreciate the work you've done for this!!
optodata
[Post New]
Great news! the HotFix just posted by PDM lets PDR365 play DD5.1 audio again on my Surface Book 3 even with both problematic KB updates installed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2021 22:34

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Great news! the HotFix just posted by PDM lets PDR365 play DD5.1 audio again on my Surface Book 3 even with both problematic KB updates installed

Hello,

Hotfix is also available for PowerDirector 18 users:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/84991.page

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Great news! the HotFix just posted by PDM lets PDR365 play DD5.1 audio again on my Surface Book 3 even with both problematic KB updates installed

This is good news! Thanks optodata for all your help with this!
cool