Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 7 crashes Windows2003Sp1
Michiel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2007 08:15 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I just downloaded the trial version of PDVD 7, installed it, and put LOTR1 in the drive, when i clicked "play" my mouse went to the center of the screen and froze, about 5 seconds later my system crashes/reset.
I've uninstalled PDVD, also checked registry for leftovers, reinstalled, same problem.

I had the same problem with PDVD6, so i switched to Windvd which worked fine, though i wanted to go back to PDVD again cause of previous experiences (and the image quality sucked on windvd) Also with the upcomming HD-DVD movies etc i wanted a "HD-DVD compatible" player.

Why i use Windows 2003 is i need it for my work and it's VPN/remote desktop functions (and other functions).

System specs :

OS : Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition. (All updated/Latest drivers)
AMD64 3700+ 2.2ghz (Maybe a bit low for HD-DVD but got a X2-4800 waiting)
4096ram DDR400
Asus A8N SLI-Premium (latest bios)
Ati Radeon X1900XTX (latest drivers 7.1whql)
Ati Radeon X1800XT (latest drivers)

Using onboard soundcard (nvidia)
Using onboard Lan (nvidia/Marvel)

If there's any more information needed, let me know.

I hope there's a simple solution to the problem, and i hope i don't get a standard reply like "Windows 2003 isn't supported" If so then it shouldn't be possible to install it or atleast give a warning.

Kind regards,

M.Breur.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2007 20:04

Michiel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok,

I honestly expected an answer about now, but i guess you only get quick service as a paying customer.

Now i got another "problem" when i tried to watch a hd-dvd movie for some reason powerdvd7.2 installed the "bluray" part of the install.
I can't get it to do the install the "hd-dvd" part, only with a workaround.

I copied the contents of the "hd-dvd install" into the "blu-ray install" now i can watch hd-dvd movies.

But i wonder why the "hardware acceleration - ATI Avivo" is gray when i check it while watching a HD-DVD movie, and i can't use the dualscreen function in the advanced settings, i got 4 screens attached to my machine.
I'd like to span the movie across my 24" screens.

2 on X1900XTX 2 x 24" Dell.
2 on X1800XT 2 x 19" Benq.
(both on full hardware acceleration, connected through DVI)

There are no hardware conflicts whatsoever.

But normal DVD's still don't work for me, PowerDVD just hangs, and takes my computer down.
Michiel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just stumbled on another problem, i can't open the HD-DVD menu's, and can't disable the subtitles, i can chose "Next Subtitles (U)" but i honestly like to disable them, since i last checked i wasn't deaf don't need hearing impared subs....

And what do i do to get some answers around here?
Michiel [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've been in contact with the "technical support" and had the same basic replies i've seen here on the forum, so i already tried all of those several times.

After trying some things i found out that when i insert a dvd, and powerdvd says "load" the mouse goes to the center of the screen, after 3-5 seconds the screen goes black, GPU fan goes to 100% cooling, and then when i press my "on/off" button of my pc once i still get the "turn off computer" screen from windows.

After some time i even hear some sound, and rarely see some "movie scenes" at the back. But still the movie is unwatchable cause the screen going in standby for some reason and the GPU fan goin 100% again after a few seconds.

For some reason i can watch HD-DVD movies but DVD's don't work at all.